The Spawn

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by stangcrazy85, Jul 7, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    im looking for any info on the fat heads being done on the muskingum from zanesville to stockport im a bank fisherman keep that in mind i have some killer bait at least i believe
    Big chubs
    Warmouth
    Pumpkin seed
    little bass
    gills of all size
    suckers and i think that is about it
    i'll take any and all advise you got thanks
    Toby

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    went to the ohio river sun night and fished in apx 2 feet of water and got 3 flatheads 1 2lb 1 4lb and 1 5 or 6 lb these are apx. weights but i out fished my buddie who was fishing same baits as me suckers and gills and he got 1 turtle who was pissed lol 1 gar and 1 3lb channel cat dont know bought the spawn but iam ready for it to be over lol hope this helps in some way?...sniper

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Toby, from my experince on Ohios inland rivers, the fishing is gonna be slow till August...I have caught flatheads still full of eggs in late August.

All the flats dont spawn at the same time but it takes quite awhile for it all to be over.

Fishing is gonna suck for several more weeks.

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    ok i was just starting to itch not going at all you know how that is
    we were in the first week in june and the last week in may not getting a darn bite so i figured they have had a month surley some of them should be done well were gonna giver hell. I'll let you all know how we do
    thanks

5. catslayer2

catslayer2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually use live bait when I fish for Flatheads,but I went fishing in my local river yesterday and caught 4 Flatheads on cut bluegill. I was surprised because they usually bite on live bluegill, last night was different for me. I'm not to sure about the spawn but,give this a try.Hopefully it works.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I dont think all flats spawn at the same time, we have been doing good on the Muskingum, good fish every trip. Last wed. we caught 2 good flats and there spawning marks have already began to heal up. I also think it will be heating up everywhere soon. The fish we have caught have really suprised me. It seems they are really acting alot different then what has been gospel to so many flathead fisherman, with bait choice and locations. Plus I hate bank fishing I need a boat! LOL!

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    here in PA its been hit and miss, usually smaller flatty's under 10#, movin baits around seems to be key, ya gotta get it right in front of them, i let it soak for about 20 mins. and if i don't get a hit i relocate it:wink:

8. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Right now, being mobile is definitely the key to success. The bite is a bit slow, but I've not been skunked in a long time. Don't believe everything that youread. Despite what has been posted on this site about not being able to catch them during June and July, the fish are catchable! You just can't set in one spot and expect the fish to come to you. You have to find them and fish tight to cover with fresh bait.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yesterday on the Ohio I caught 12 fish 4 were Flats and they all looked a bit beat up. Nothing big they were from 7-13.5 LB. They all bit on shad heads.