The spawn

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by andrew76, Jan 19, 2009.

1. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Does any one know when shovelheads start there spawn here in ohio?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is more dependent on water temp. The pre spawn will start as the water starts getting in the lower 60's with full spawn as it hits 68-72 degrees. The spawn is very long and drawn out in Ohio since it takes longer for major water temp changes.

Disclaimor: I am not an expert, but these are pretty good guidelines

3. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It think its around the beginning of June til about mid to late july sometimes into august

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Last few years the spawn has been just about anytime an all the time. Hard to believe but true. I've seen the early spawn an then seen the middle of summer spawn then seems like right near fall the bite is off again. Go figure,,,

5. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    Joey6500 is right on the money because what iv noticed on the ohio river in the last 5 years its been between 65deg and 72deg butt with every fisherman it will vary and depending on the depth of the water you are fishing it might be 2nd week of june if your waters r no more than 10ft deep butt usually night fishing for me is the best time to catch some nice fish with big live bait GOOD LUCK hope this helps. Capt.Mike

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    You said it bro your right on the money...reps to ya