The spawn is on!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tkishkape, Mar 25, 2007.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The spawning catfish have been sighted in the shallow headwaters of the creeks feeding Kerr Lake. Water temps are near 70 in the shallow spawning beds.

Most of the waters I found the fish in were less than a foot deep where the brush and grasses are standing in the water.

I love the Spring!:lol:

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havne't got the boat ready yet. Is there a good place to get to by road?

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sure... lots of them. Most are country roads... unpaved, dusty, and great to get lost on.

It's still best to go by boat... not so likely to get snakebit or lost. If you come down, I can lead you in.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks. I think I've still got your number. I'll have to give you a call if I get to get down there on my days off this week. It would probably be on a Wednesday if I get to get out there.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think your fish are probably still prespawn. It is still a little early for the cats to spawn, even if daytime water temps are hitting 70. They will be moving shallow, especially to feed and search out areas, but the actually spawn is still a ways away.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sure... you're right... it is pre-spawn action with the males competing for the best nesting sites and the females staying out of it for now...

They'll be along later. Right now, they are taking it easy, feeding up and being lazy in the feeder creeks.

I'm sorry if the excitement of the find caused my writing to lead anyone down the wrong path. The main event hasn't happened yet... but it has started!:tounge_out:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Albert, what are you water temps looking like out there in OK? Around here they were 65-75 this past weekend, but we have some cooler weather and I expect them to be lower by this weekend.