The sound of thunder

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    to night as i was standing on the porch looking at the sky growing darker as i heard a crack of thunder off in the distance. The aroma of a summer rain began to fill the air as it began to fall. As the rumble of thunder became louder it came to me how the sound rolled across the sky until it faded into the distances.
    As i stood there watching the storm from a distance listening i could only be overwhelm by the power of the sound as each crack of thunder as it rolled in to the distance, it became apparent that in this world that something with so much power and energy can still make me feel so humble by just a sound.
    Just a observation i had today while standing on the pouch and thought i would share with you all.

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Thanks for sharing. I like watching the storms roll in But when the lighting comes i am in side:lol:

3. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    you are right jeff, mother nature can sure put each of us in our place. it is amazing at all the things that happen in life that are totally out of our control adn at the mercy of some greater force.
    thanks for the great post jeff, i enjoyed readin it.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    your rite thunder and lightin can humble even the mitiest of men.i saw what the old timers call st.elmos fire on top of rich mountain one time while a thunder storm was going on.when thoes trees started glowing and cracklin i left in a hurry.i used to love going up there and watching the lightin but i dont go any more.lol

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    when your in the city the distant sky is pretty much hidden from veiw
    and in addition to not being able to see a storm in all its glory your also
    at the mercy of the weather channel radio local tv news station or
    your citys emergency alert sirens to let you know whats rolling in on you.
    i used to live in a rural area around here that we could see it comeing from a long way off and it was relaxing to sit and watch the lightning off in the distance.
    nothing like a thunder storm to make your little kids or dogs stick to ya like glue:lol:
    fishing across and up river from the gateway arch in st.louis on the illinois side we have seen a couple storms roll in and it is an awesome sight.
    you really seem small at the edge of a big river , even a big ugly stick and
    an abu 6000 seems to resemble a snoopy pole at the river:big_smile:

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    forgot to mention at my granmothers in bradford arkansas when we were kids i used to love it when it stormed in the evening as we were allways on the front porch with the grown ups as they talked and there was a couple of big couches and plenty of chairs out there you could see the lightning in the distant over the hills and if it came down a pouring rain you just scooted closer in towards the middle of the porch and enjoyed the cool air .