"The Snell Knot vs. The Palomar Knot"

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by shania, May 10, 2008.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hello all,

I got a question that I need to know. Witch one of the two knots out of the "Snell & Palomar" are the best to use when Flathead fishing?
    :confused2:
    I got to know for the up & coming Gathering out here in Blythe California in June.
    :0a23:

Thank in advance,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm a firm believer in snellin hooks. I feel it comes into play on the hook set. In other words keepin the hook straight for the set. Check out my hook snellin video in the video section it will better explain what I'm tryin to say.:wink:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Snelling hooks is not suppose to put any stress on the line.. thus it will not break as easily and doesn't create any weak points from stress like a knot does.

The polymar knot is a very strong knot and does not put as much stress on the line as much as other knots do. It is my knot of choice when tying on swivels and some hook applications.

I have just recently learned how to snell and can see that snelling when you can for most applications has it's advantages.
    1. keeps the hook straight for quicker stronger hook sets
    2. Less stress on line to prevent break-offs.
    3. You can double snell for trailor hooks and still not put stress on line

I vote snelling.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I watched that video and BG knows a thing or 2 about knots. Plus the background music is cool. :wink:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The only knot I use for catfishing is the palomar knot.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I snell all my hooks ,good hook set

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have used both. My snell only works when you are using a leader. I can tie a snell in 30 seconds flat and have never had one come loose. It is my favorite, but I like the old fashioned through the eye wrap 6-7 times through the lower loop and back through knot too.

It is hard to beat the snell where you run the line down through the hook eye, grab it with your thumb and forefinger, wrap the line around the eye, shank, and hook about 12 times and run that end back up through the eye and snug up. 30 second and at least you LOOK like a pro fisherman lol!:big_smile:

8. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Bert, If you have good line and reel drag set, any good knot will work.
    Bill

9. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    since learning how to palmar that is all i do but might have to look into the snelling properties.

excellent? tho i feel there will be lots of useful info come from this thread!!

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I snell all my leader rigs and use polamar knot on my mainline....power-pro.:big_smile:

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the palomar knot. I have never had it to break or to come undone. If your drag is set right for the lb. line you are using....you shouldn't have any problems:wink:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the snell and palomar are both great knots that have their proper applications while fishing. i use the palomar on straight eyed hooks, and the snell on up or downturned eyes. neither one has ever failed me. i have been looking at ringed hooks lately, as they seem to work like a swivel, the same way a palomar knot does. all the same, though, because i would attatch the ring with a palomar anyway!

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always use a polamar knot to me its the strongest.

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i only answered that because that was ur two choices.......

ive never had a problem with nots failing except for one time with a clinch not ( but then i learned how to tye them ):smile2:

im a clinch guy cause i can tye them in the dark and not even looking at the hook............... ive probably tyed 500 leaders so its 2nd nature to me

15. Richard Vinson

Richard Vinson New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've been use'n snell knot's for about 5 to6 yr and never had one pull out , and once you tie it 4 to 5 time you can do it with your eye's closed. I trust it and it's all i use, good luck.