The Snakes Are Out in North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAYNC, Apr 4, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just to let everyone know, the snakes are out. I was out on the Neuse friday night and saw three or four of them swimming across the river. They caught me by surprise, I haven't seen one since late october. Just a heads up so no one gets complacent and pulls under a branch with a water mocassin on it.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Doesn't take much of the warmer days to bring them out.
    I started seeing a few early on and chalked it up to a very warm winter.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is my favorite time of the year, when the things I enjoy come together, reptiles and fishing! When the fishing is slow you can find me herping in the tall grasses, low shrubs, flipping logs, to get a few distinct snapshots!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Keep in mind even a black snake becomes aggressive in the spring around mating time.
    The venemous snakes have been storing venom all winter so they will be potent and the baby snakes are probally the worst for venom.

5. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have eaten rattlesnake can you eat cottonmouth

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All I know is that I am sharpening the machette and keeping it on standby in the boat, man I hate snakes.

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I sure wouldn't eat a cotton jaws, them things stink like the dickens when you skin them.

8. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i was walking in my yard the other night and it was really windy cause a cold front was coming through. Anyway i walked under a small tree that we have in our front yard and something fell on my shoulder.When it landed on my shoulder i thought it was a small limb or something like that so i brushed it off and when i touched it with my hand i thought to myself that really dint feel like a stick. That felt like some kind of animal of the reptilian persuasion. my gosh i liked to pooped my pants!!!!!!! man i started kicking and screaming like a little girl!!!!!!! you would of thought i was being eatan alive by a grizzly bear or something. i know the neigbors probably thought the wife was beatin me with a broom again(actually saw that happen in my neighbors front yard last week and it was hilarious)!! anyway after i had knocked it off and finally composed myself i started lookin for what the heck that was. i dint find and limbs of sticks on the ground and after lookin for a few minutes i saw a green grass snake curled up right by the tree that i walked under. i know i know its not poisonous but it still didnt make me feel any better. just let me say this "There was a little PEE in my pants!!!!!!!! Yes a little wet spot around the mid section". i admit it and i dont care. if ou had a snake fall on your shoulder carressing its tongue on your ear you just might poop your pants too!!!!! dont lie to yourself you know you would!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe the snake didnt carress his tongue on my ear.hope you guys enjoyed the story. It sure will stay with me the rest of my life.

Jason Harris of Southeast Texas

9. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    and so are the old wives tales.............

Happens every year. :)

Don't mess with them and they won't mess with you.

10. Strikeking

Strikeking New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeap them snakes are some sneaky little things one sneaked up on me two days ago, nearly pissed in my pants

11. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    A year ago when I went into my shop I almost stepped on a small snake. He was about 7-8 inches long and smaller than my little finger. I grabbed a pair of channel-locks and picked him up. When I grabbed for him he struck at the pliers. Thats when I told him to kiss your xxx goodby, you dead. Do I hate snakes, you betcha.

12. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i actually saw my first snake back in feb. while fourwheelin out in a swamp here on Ft. Bragg.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hear a ton of people seeing cottonmouths(Agkristrodon picivorous), and copperhead (A. contortix). I'm a herpetologist and herpteculturist. I've got 80 or more snakes on my premises that I breed, all non-venomous(there is no "poisonous" snake), and all offer no harm to myself, my wife, or our kids. My 5 year old daughter even handles an albino checkered garter that she insists is hers. Not to be getting off subject, but a lot of people can't properly identify a venomous snake from a stick in the mud.

Snakes are of no threat to you and I. I know people are afraid of them, I being a sound science enthusiast, have actually done studies on fear just to try to understand some of the more irrational reactions we have to things. Like why we fear and loath snakes, when dogs kill more people in a years time, then snakes do in two years time. Dog and cat bites require stitches. Your average snake bite doesn't. It's hard to avoid being bitten by a cat or dog when they really want to do it! Not so with snakes, as all you have to do is avoid them, pretty simple stuff here! Consider this, I've been bitten by a few cats and dogs, and have scars to show for LIFE. I've been bitten, mostly intentionaly to prove a point, probably close to 1,000 times, and don't have anything to show for it, except a couple of post bite pictures, before I washed it off and went on with my life.

Not to say that I'm am offended by anything, I understand that people have innate fears of things they don't understand, and I mean absolutely no offense to other, except to shine a light on the other side of the subject and to hopefully be here to help ohers understand these animals, and maybe when you understand, you'll stop illegal butchering them, or being forced out of good fishing areas because of them.

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Gettin geared up for my first official cat trip of the year this Friday( Getting a little spring break from baseball and softball with the kids so we are going fishin).Lookin forward to time on the water with them but not lookin forward to the snakes.Ya'll be safe !

15. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Snakes and I can coexist peacefuly as long as they don't startle me. If they do, a primitive instinct takes over and they are suddenly dead.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The fear of snakes?
    I don't know anyone that has lost a finger to a cat or dog bite but I do know someone that lost a finger to a copperhead bite.

I dont know anyone that that has stepped on a dog or cat and wound up in the hospital and endured excruciating pain for weeks, but I know someone that simply stepped off a set of steps into the yard and did. Another victim of the copperhead.

I have never had to wear chaps for fear of a dog or cat biting me , but let me tell ya. If you dont wear chaps here in these woods and swamps in the warm months, you are an idiot.
    You see, I live in a place surrounded on 3 sides by water. Small streams and alot of southern swamp and not far from where those creeks , branches, or streams dump into a major tributary.
    I have seen many moccasins, copperheads, and tons of water snakes.
    Probally none scare me as bad as the cottonmouth and the timber rattler.

If I get bit by a dog, its no big deal. The dog dies from a piece of lead and more then likely I'll miss no more then a few hours work at the worst.
    A poisonous snake bite more then likely would not kill me but it would cost me a whole of money at the very least and quite possibly most of what I own depending on the longevity of the effects and how it affects me.
    Then you gotta wonder , living this far out, how long would it take to get anti-venom? The closest hospital RAN OUT last year.

There is a legitimate fear for snakes.

17. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC

18. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You know, I really loved the post of jsharris on page 1! That was a good post, I had to read it to a couple of my friends.

Luckily we haven't seen any snakes yet, gotta watch my kids, they may go after it. They think they are Croc hunters in training! :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the laugh!:)

19. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Went out on the Cape Fear sat. and we saw 6, one even went under the boat and climbed up the motor, until he ate some paddle!

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im not afraid of snakes but respect them and prefer to avoid an encounter with one, I'll keep my distance and leave them like I found them if possible.