The smell/taste of catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by martinman, Jun 12, 2006.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Guys,

I have to tell you a little story that I had happen to me this weekend. I know that it pretty much applies to all catfishermen. It is something that I love, because only a true catfisherman would enjoy it.

I went fishing at a lake and caught some fish. I placed them in my cooler, separating the fish and my drinks with a few plastic bags. I finished my boat trip back off the lake the next morning and loaded everything up to go home. I grabbed a nice cold soda from the cooler. Thats when it hit me.

The scent from my flatheads was all over on the soda. It wasn't that the can was slimmed, but the smell was there. I LOVED it. It was so nice to smell that smell...the smell of success. Each time I went to take a drink, I smelled it again. It was a great experience.

Some may call me strange, but I figured that there are probably several of you that have experienced this state of euphoria before and could relate to me on this one.

Just thought I would share.

Martinman

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ryan, I'm sorry buddy,but when i smell catfish, I like to smell them fried, thats why i use two coolers . :lol: good story though..........thanks

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ryan you described that to perfection. I can't tell you how many times I had the same experience. Clean fish on the river, place the fillets in a ziplock bag and place the fresh fillets in the drink cooler. Grab an ice cold diet coke on the way home and man oh man that smell just grabs you. Can is clean and everything but that fresh fish smell is just there. Like you I just love it.:big_smile:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You are truly dedicated to your craft bro:lol: !

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Yeah but John...ya always do it again...ya have to!:confused2: ..LMAO:big_smile:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Man I'm glad you could smell your sucess, but I definitely don't want that smell on my food or drink. I only like it whens its on my hands after I've been fishing and cleaning fish, but as long as your happy thats all that matters.

7. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know where your comin' from. I only fish at night.After all is said and done,I place my catch in the same cooler as my drink's,the smell don't bother me.I get home 'bout daylight and start to dress them out.No better breakfast than fried catfish,egg's,hashbrown's,toast & coffee (kinda makes y'all hungry,don't it?)

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    You ever snack when you are out fishing, I hope I got the fish smell on my hands or I'm busy getting skunked.

9. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey John,there IS a comma between the word's 'catfish & 'egg's'.I always wondered how cat egg's would taste.Would you fry 'em up like mush? After all,thats what they look like.

10. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fishin for bluegills with the little woman last week, and started eating snacks with worm slim & "stuff" on my hands (I had wiped the heavy stuff off!) Freaked her out. I guess she still has a way to go to be a REAL fisherman. Er um, fisherperson. lol. Guess I'll have to start taking hand cleaner!:big_smile:

11. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm glad you could smell your success Ryan.Great story,hope it happens to you again.Now last night I was sitting hear and I could smell fried fish Oh, never mind I was eating fried fish last night.LOL

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ryan, A dip of Copenhagen is also better with a good stout smell of cats and shad on your hands.

ST