The smaller the hook the bigger the fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 17, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I met a fellow at the river one day and he told me something that I have never forgotten.

I was using 8/0 gama circle hooks, and he saw my hooks and said "son" what are you using that big hook for?..he asked me if I had caught any fish that day and I said nope.

He proceded to tell me he only used 2/0 J and circle hooks for all his flathead fishing..He said he used to use big hooks untill he found out that he could catch more and bigger fish by downsizing everything, hook, swivel, line, sinker.

He went on to tell me me that only the most agresive fish will hit a bait with a big hook in it, and I was missing alot of fish that would not even touch my bait.

Your thoughts?

2. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pretty much agreed on that. A strong small hook and light equipment they can just inhale and catch all sizes whereas the the large rigs have there place there best for the largest fish and faster water.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My thoughts...:smile2: B/S!!!!!! Even a small flathead has the ability to inhale a good sized bait! Fish aren't distinguishing especially flatheads, whether that bait has a hook in it! And definetely, not the sinker size. If flatheads or BIG flatheads were that smart, the Juggers, and Trotliners would be out of business!!!!!!!!!:roll_eyes: rollo

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There is a article of a old catman here that catches more big cats than anyone I've ever heard of. This guy says the same exact thing and he only gets his monsters during the day...never at night.

We might do good with what we use but you cant help but think " can I do even better ?".

There are a lot of tiny details that I do that I know make the difference. So I guess I cant say a oversized hook would or wouldn't make a difference. I myself rarely use a hook over a 5/0 and during winter go as low as a 3/0. Most of my friends use big, big hooks but I tend to catch more ; )

Hey, who the heck knows. No matter how much you fish and how many you catch you will never know what a catfish thinks ; )

-Jim-

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think he is right to an extent, but do you really want to catch those 4-5lb channels all day?

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing I can say is go with what works for you.

I had a guy telling me bluegills didn't work very good for cattin in my local river. I use gills more than anything else because of how cheap they are to get combined with how easy they are to keep alive for long periods of time. I caught more channel cats of all sizes on live gills 4-7 inches long than on any other bait.

I have also been told that I use too big a hook for most of the fish I catch. What I found though was that by using smaller hooks I was actually missing more fish than I caught using the larger ones.
    Do I say this is always the case? Absolutely not. I just tell anyone that asks what I use what I use and what works for me. I also tell them to try different things and see what works best for them. It's just like the circle hook debate. Some people hate them, some love them. It is the same for all parts of fishing. It's always easy to blame something like hook size, or bait size, but look further into it. One guy I know always complained how he thought he missed a lot of fish on circle hooks......but when you looked at what was realyl happening, it wasn't the hook at all. the fish just weren't getting the bait in their mouth. No matter what hook you use, if it isn't in the fishes mouth, you won''t hook the fish.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a huge difference between a 2/0 J and a 2/0 Circle hook. I would say a 2/0 J compares more to a 5/0-6/0 Circle (Gama Oct Circles anyway...)

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have been using 8# circles but lately been thinking about sizing down. do yall use only stainless? or not?

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    sorry guys wrong post dont know how that happened.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cat fish don't have big enough brains to think, they react. Hook size is inconsequential in that since. Ive caught 3# channels on 10/0 King kahles and 10# channels on #8 snelled j hooks. Sharpness of the hook is way more critical than size, that and knowing when to set it. :wink:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    only fish ive caught on my 10/0 king kahles was a 2 lb channel and i could barely get the hook un wedged from hsi mouth hole, but i miss jsut as many fish on big hooks as i do small ones..i did set a 6/0 circle hook in the rectum of a snapper one day though..he still has it

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good. Maybe he'll show his buddies. :smile2:

I don't see how the smaller rigs would work better. When I put a big bait on an 8/0 Circle hook, or 8/0 Octopus, it already seems like I don't have enough hook room to get that bait to move when I need the hook to do it's business.

I couldn't see a 8" sucker or a big piece of shad fitting on a 2/0 hook and then still have the room to pass around the bait to keep the barb exposed. I'm going to say I don't believe that.

I've caught small channels on 10/0 Matzuo hooks, but at the same time my girlfriend at the time was nailing channels on really small bluegill JHooks. I was pretty shocked to see that. Sent her off with the bait pole and she comes back with a channel cat or two. Decent sized ones too. :smile2:

/ James

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    whenever an old timer tells me a trick i try to listen even if i dont agree with him. there is always some truth behind what they are saying. personally i try to keep my hook size proportionit to the bait i am using. in doing this i take away the likely hook that they will notice the hook. also directly following the spawn i will goto a smaller hook, softer baits and a braided leader because of the tenderness of their mouth. just my opinion.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my grandpa is one of the small hook believers and hes caught a ton of 40s and 50s in his day and a few 60s and 70s on nothing any bigger than a 3/0. when hes pole fishing you want catch him using any thing bigger than a #2 and crappie minners..he always out catches us but...thats jsut cause hes old :smile2::wink:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The thing that stands out though is that many species do require smaller hooks and thin line to catch them. Trout and even Stripers are a good examples. I don't agree that catfish are any more dumb than any other fish, maybe aggression is the factor but not dumbness.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've caught several 20- 50# blue on a #3 octopus stuck through the back of a 5" shiner. The one in my avatar was stuck with a #4, I beleive useing the same bait. But for the first 20yrs of catfishing I used nothing no bigger and have caught hundreds of Big flatheads and Blues.

I only starting useing #7-9 Octopus Gama's when I started hunting exclusively for the Big Monster Flathead 8yrs ago and I haven't noticed any difference in the hook-up ratio.

I use several different sizes for different fishing situations, bait, current, cover, fish type etc... It works for me, Just my expereince.:wink:

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i guess it could be certain rivers. But after 2 years ago i wont fish with anything under 8/0. I was fishing with a 5/0 gam and got a monster run on a big bait. I fought the fish for a short period and the fish threw the hook. I threw out another bait and it happened again. Ive noticed fish on the GMR have really thick pads on their mouths and ever since i changed to 8/0 i havent had the problem. And i dont think its the size of the fish, ive caught pound channels on them.

18. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I think hes rite most of the time. In the spring or early summer you can catch fish using any thing. Afther that i think they get rather touchy. We all should try using smaller stuff just to see on our next fishing trip. Try free linen in a hole with a 3/0 black or red hook. Post on here what we done and what we caught... Can't learn if we don't try....

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a fishing buddy that goes by that.
    Quite often he out fishes me, side by side all other things being the same.

But I reckon you should fish the conditions as best you can figure them. Everyday is a new day, don't get hung up in habits.

If your partner is doing better, shack the pride and go with what is working.

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your right, not dumbness or smartness, fish only react they do not think..If a trout wont take a bait (being sight feeders) it's only because it doesn't look natural, and there are not any natural baits out there with a hook shaped thingy hanging off of them. lol :big_smile: