the small runs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 7, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok big problem here, ive benn going out in the day and evning fishing deep, i keep getting short runs on my cliker, with blue gill, but wen i pick it up they stop, would these be big fish, how can, i hook a bite like this, should i turn clikers of and tight line, would that do the trick, there realy fast powerful jeks but they wont run, keep runnig in to this, i could be missing some big fish

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Try tight lining with a circle hook. Or set your clicker really tight with a circle hook. Either one would probably be helpful to you.

Good luck.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what about a kael they will work the same right

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'm pretty sure from your description that these are not flathead's or even big fish. Usually when a flathead makes a run with the clicker on it will be a nice steady pull. Not necessarily fast, but steady. You're probably dealing with small fish trying to take a bait too big, turtles, or maybe gar. Tightlining with a circle or kahle will probably end up getting a hook up with whatever it is, but make sure you have a stout rodholder when using this technique.hope this helps......

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    sounds like gar to me ive had that and one nite i let one go with short jerks and after a 1/2 hour it finally took off hooked a gar about 3 ft long and that was a 8" chub when i hooked it and got in i had the head left

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will agree with slimdaddy that is how gar do they have your bait but not the hook they will make fast runs stop . If you want to catch set your drag just rite before freespooling and you will catch it . Gar will let go soon as they fell tension so if you adj the drag you will get it

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id say u were right, but this lake is gar free and i say this with no dought, id say small flats

8. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    What kind/size bait are you using? I would say they are not flatheads at all. More than likely small channels.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i think they are small flats becoues i caught one, that bit like that, it was about 2 pounds on a 4 inch bluegill,

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I have the same crap happen to me allot. I don't know what they are but they are annoying. Try fishing with a loose drooping line and when you see the line start to move out and draw tight cross the S.O.B's eyes!

11. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Sounds like turtles to me brother.

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I just started fishing rod and reel for flats this year and i started out using a clicker without much luck. I then switched to kahle and j hooks with a tightline and started catching fish. I would'nt advise circle hooks with flatties just because of the way they bite. I always thought that a fish like these would rip line out like an oldsmobile, but every fish i've caught has thumped the rod and then just had steady tension or just slightly pulling on it(it's almost like the bait was dragging on bottom). Every time that has happened i set the hook and he's there. Although i've had a couple of fish hit it hard and kill the bait and just leave it:confused2:? Granted this is coming from a guy who does'nt have as much experience as some of the others on this site, but that's just what i've found myself after a couple of months of fishing for them. Some really good advice can be found by watching the B.O.C. s' very own Catmatt do a seminar on flatheads. I watched it and started applying some of his advice and it was like flipping a switch. I found the seminar on catfishacademy.com, but i'm sure the B.O.C. has it on file somewhere. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!:wink:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok, how many guys use clikers and have luck, i hear people hate them

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do not use the clickers. I fish with the reel engaged with Kahle hooks and just let the flatheads (and other cats most times) hook themselves. Works great. Like someone else said, though, make sure you have strong secure rod holders!

You might want to try throwing out a smaller piece of cut bait next time thies starts happening again. You could be dealing with other smaller cats - channels or blues - or even largemouth. Even a small flathead has a big enough mouth that they can usually suck the whole bait in.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Can't agree more!