the skyway pier

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Big Country01, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    the skyway pier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well we went out to the skyway yesterday, we got there about 6:00am and the mackeraels were tearing it up on the end of the north pier on the end of the incoming tide. we didn't get any hits in the begining but after the tide turn stagnic the dolphins were doing something i had never seen them do before they were hitting on the live bait everyone was using i had two hook ups with them and almost got spooled on my spinning rod (talk about getting nervous) but my line finally broke and i was able to get back most of my line. well when the tide finally started to turn the bite picked back up. there was two younger gentlemen fishing next to us with a broom stick size rod and a ten ot sized reel with half a spannish mackereal for up under the pier with 300 pound test line (yes 300# test) and hooked into a jew fish (goliath grouper) and could turn him this fish broke a steel leader in half. about twenty minutes later on the opposite side of us there was a gentleman using the same set up and pulled in a 8 foot nurse shark this thing was huge i would guess about 250#'s it was the color of a dark tan it was a real pretty site the shark was released. there were also a few big ol' loggerhead turtles in the 4 foot wide range. well we finally started to tear up the macks on gotcha lures i lost a couple my lures on the strike (these critters got serious teeth) i am not a fan of steel leaders when using artificial baits, i even had a few them totaly destroy my plugs. so when i ran out of gotcha's i switched to live and dead baits and couldn't keep em' off my rod, so i took one the macks and cut him in half and hooked him up to me broom stick rod with my penn 220 gto reel and four ounce weight and dropped him straight down at the end of the pier,well after about a half hour i heard my clicker start singing so i picked up the rod and set the hook, after about thirty seconds of tug of war what i beleive to have been a grouper took me down in the rocks....well that just about sums up my fishing trip ...........:big_smile:

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    going back there tonight i will you a report in the morning.....