The "skunk" struck again

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Another night of no catfish and no bites.

Started catching bait (blue gills) on the fly rod at around 6 PM EDT (caught 10). Anchored down in a nice little cove with a lot of rip rap, fallen trees and a nice point that extends out to the mouth of the cove, water depth of where we were placing our baits (blue gill, chicken livers, shrimp, creek minnows, wicked sticky) was not much deeper than 16 feet. We fished our baits in the water all around us, to depths as shallow as 4 to 6 feet. Nary a taker at all. We got set up to catfish at around 9 PM and fished until 1:30 AM.

Guess we should have carp fished. Carp were jumping all around us. But, I did not bring along any corn.

Anyway, we (my great nephew and I) got "sprayed" once again, on the "Dead Sea" (as many of the locals call it), Watagua Lake (Hampton, TN).

We talked to a few other anglers, who had caught nothing either. But, one fellow said he had caught one bass. And, that he had observed walleyes busting some shad.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Mike, if you'll stop at the Elk mills store in Pogy and ask for a guy called "Jug", he might put you onto the cove he runs a trot line through. I worked it with him once and it was the first time I ever saw a flathead. Thinking back, that was the ugliest cat I ever saw, with it's big head and brown colors, Looked to go about 6 lbs. There were plenty other cats on the line too.

I know there's plenty of carp in the shallow coves up there, but the one Jug works isn't all that shallow.

Could also be just a bad night to fish.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mike keep at it brother. My whole year has been like that. One big skunk, but I managed to get one fish somehow?? I think it felt sorry for me. LMAO Good luck brother, they will bite in time. You got to get out and fish, that is the main thing.

4. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have not caught anything in about 3 weeks myself. I haven't even gone this weekend though. I'm kind of down in my back right now and don't know if I'll get out today or not.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow... what a relief... it ain't just me... it ain't just me...:lol:

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think the catfish must have joined PETA.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree you should be able to hear my sigh of relief as well!!

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    They'll be days (and nights) like that. Don't know what makes a location not produce on a given day, but it happens to all of us.

9. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Bob,
    I talked to Jug last summer. His main advice was to go up around Pioneer Landing. I think I will head up that way within the next few weeks. Water is a lot shallower up in that area. Also, been thinking about possibly launching some at the Sink mountain ramp, water is a lot shallower up that way too.

10. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Tea,

I have just caught one cat also. But, several fair sized carp that I had a blast with. And, of course, blue gill for flathead bait.

Now, I do know why you have caught only one fish. You stay on the BOC site all the time, catching these new fangled "gold coins":big_smile: that I know very little about. Except that I had accumulated 17 of them by sometime last night. But, I gave them to a fellow in Alabama who did not have any.

By the way, did you ever manage to recover the rod you lost, that went over board due to the bad rod holder??

11. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    John,

No, have not tried a float yet this year. I need to get some bigger slip floats than what I have, for fishing the size of blue gills I have been using for bait.

Do you use any weight with your floats or just let the gill run free under the float?????

12. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Jimmy Don,

Hope you recover from your back problem soon.

I just caught one cat about 2 weeks ago. That is the only one this year. It is getting really frustrating. I have tried drifting, a little jugging, bank fished, anchored down and fished etc. Am going to try the headwaters of the lake next and/or go to another lake that is not to awfully far away, that has a good catfish population but they are not recommended for eating, due to PCB contamination.

13. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Baitfish,

Are you located anywhere near Nashville, IN??? I have a brother who lives there. Can't recall the names of some of the lakes and rivers around there.