The skunk of all skunkiness

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatBobJimFish, May 16, 2009.

1. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, so far my slump still holds, been out on 6 cat nights so far this year and not a single catfish to show for it.... not a channel cat, not a flathead, not a blue..... not even a measly bullhead..... I'm beginning to wonder if I forgot how to fish.

So far this year I've tried crawlers, minnows, chicken livers, chicken gizzards, chicken hearts, and cut bluegill on everything from medium baitholder hooks up to big circle hooks.... tonight I even figured I'd up the ante a little and put two hooks on each line and fish 3 different baits at the same time, but nothing seems to be working..... don't get me wrong, my baits are getting hit but they're just not running with it, they'll take a quick nibble and move on....same thing at all 3 places I've tried so far this year, Spring river Arkansas, Eastwood Lake, and Indian lake.

We're about to come into June, you'd think they'd start livening up a little by now?!?!:confused2:

2. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That stinks dude. I keep waitin for the rain to stop for at least one whole weekend. :angry:

I have done alright, but nothing stellar. Where have you been fishing, rivers, lakes?

3. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got skunked the other night too. I use live bait, and I was getting short burst runs, but that was it. They would drop it after a short burst. I think they are at the stage where insticts are telling them to eat the bluegill, but their metabolism is still telling them their not ready to digest that big bait quite yet. That is my theory on the channels anyway. Another week or two and things should pick up quite a bit.

4. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Both river and lakes, the same thing happening no matter what body of water I go to.

Good theory.... that sure is the way it seems, like their eyes are bigger than their stomachs, I guess it could also be that because it's still spring they're concentrating more on breeding than feeding??? The one channel I HAVE seen caught this year did look to have a belly full of eggs.

Or maybe I'm just a jinx, so far this year anyone I've went fishing with would tell me about the kind of luck they've been having "catching them left and right as soon as the line hits the water", then after a couple hours at the lake with me it's like "man, what the crap is going on, we're not catching squat!":eek:oooh:

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    man, im not sure i want to even put up a post around you :0a15:,im getting away from you:wink::big_smile:lol,lol.

6. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For the record..I am experiencing the same exact thing..Have caught a few,but nothing to call home about...Been about 6-7 times also.. I feel em grab the bait and run a bit,but once they feel the slightest bit of tension,they spit it out..It's a conspiracy I tell ya..