The SKUNK is over...Finally!!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Grumper, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Well, you all probably know that it's been a pretty rough year for me so far. Ryan, (Stlcatman) and I went fishing last Sunday at Alton, and I was skunked again, except for one sturgeon. I pretty much gave up on fishing for the year, and was set into deer hunting mode, especially since the cold front moved in. Cuz called yesterday, and wanted to know if I wanted to go out. I figured, what could it hurt, so I met him at the ramp after work. So I get to the ramp, and the whole evening starts off with bad luck. He backs me down the ramp into the water, and the boat won't start. The batteries are dead. After a little examining, we realize he has a bilge full of water after being in a heck of a rain storm, and the batteries were covered, and dead. We pulled the plug, but it was clogged. We finally got the clog out, and the water drained. We then had to use his truck to jumpstart the Yamaha. Long story short, we then head 10 miles up river and fish a rock revetment. As soon as we pulled up close, we painted several big fish on the bottom so we decided to fish it. We weren't there no more that 20 minutes, when both of our rods bent over at the same time. In fact I thought that the fish Cuz was fighting got tangled up in my line, so I set my rod back in the holder and helped Cuz get his 20lb fish in the boat. I then looked up at my rod to grab it and reel back up and all I see it line heading up river. I grabbed it, and all of a sudden it was about yanked out of my hand. There was a fish on mine too. After a 10 minute fight or so, we had it in the boat. It just shattered my previous PB. She weighed in a 64.3 lbs. All the turmoil I've been through and all the crap I have recieved are well worth it. Thanks to the famous "Cuz" for getting me out there tonight, and getting my new PB.

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Great blue! Glad you made it through the skunking-and what a way to redeem yourself!

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Thanks Doug, you aint a kidding there. After last weekend, I had pretty much given up for the year. I figured there's always next year right?? Glad I decided to go out.:smile2:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats a great fish Gary. Goes to show you should keep the poles out in the fall.

Congrats! Sure wish I could go.:sad2:

5. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    way to go gary great job on the new pb hope i can get out there soon

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Nice fish Gary glad to see you were able to finally catch one.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Congrats on getting the skunk off Gary

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congrats Gary. I'm happy for you buddy. I know how hard you have worked for that fish. For what its worth, I had my resident skunk run across the driveway in front of me when I got home. I hollared out my window at him, "Not Tonight You B!@#$%!!!!! :smile2: No worries, the skunk that lives in my driveway culvert is a good luck skunk. Nice work getting that fish in bud. Now you have a 65 pound personal best we have to beat after deer season!!!! :wink:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Heres another shot of Gary's HOG. She was a big Healthy fish, and she is still out there. :big_smile:

Great Job Gary!!

Attached Files:

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats gary on the monster Blue im tryin to get me one before the end of the year. it wouldn't even take that much to make it my new pb never caught a blue out of the river. just pay ponds

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I just got back to the office and got a look at that fish!!! Way to go buddy!! I'm happy for ya and so glad to see that all that time and effort paid off for ya this year!! That is a fish of a lifetime right there!! Alot of people will never catch a monster like that one!!

Good Job to you Cuz for getting him out there when he was about to throw in the towel!!

And like the true catfish lover that you guys are ya'll set her free!! Man what a beautiful thing!

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Congratulations Gary, you definately deserve that fish. What a monster, and all of this talk about deer hunting, and quiting fishing for the year.:cool2: Well that is a tough way to start the night out but a great way to finsish it, congrats to you and Cuz, and Cuz I would like to meet this good luck skunk. Thanks for the story and the pics guys.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Gary! Very nice fish for sure, thats makes all the wait worth while. Congrats on a new PB!

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now you can call er quits...Same thing happinin to me this year and my uncle told me I had to go catch one or I was quitting a looser so I did cause the ole man is bout ruthless when givin me a hard time.VERY NICE FISH THERE I HOPE ONE DAY I CAN DO IT my biggest is 25lb

15. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Gary! It has been a long year for many of us... Goes to show that you have to keep going out there.. Can I have your autograph on my surrender flag just under the skunk!

16. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Congrats Gary...one nice fish!!! Ya put a GSP tracker on her? :roll_eyes:

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Alright Gary. Good fish. Maybe they are gonna start the fall bite now.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Gary on the new PB Blue, Now That's A HAWG!! Just goes to show that you never quit or give up.

19. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Gary... You've put your dues in and then some, happy for ya buddy and a new PB, all right... now I know your pumped and all, but was wonder'n what was the bait of choice used as well as how deep? Congratulations again on the nice fish Gary

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I believe the "Master Angler" is working today, so I'll take the liberty of answering for him Michael. We were using Skipjack filets, and the fish were only in 20 feet of water. They were way up on the bank. When we idled into the spot, The Lowrance loaded up, and I told Gary "Those are Catfish!!!" The fish were suspended several feet off the bottom too, so I was pretty confident we would get a couple, little did I know Gary would steal the show. :smile2: The water is dirty, so it took the fish 20-30 minutes to find the baits, but find it they did. We had a double for the first time in a while. I was fighting my 20 pound fish, and I looked over at Gary and he had that surge loaded up heavy and I could hear his drag singing. At one point, Gary's fish headed towards mine, and we both thought that we had the same fish as it had tangled us. It looked to me like Gary had ALOT more pressure on his rod, and his fish was doing different things than mine, but the lines did merge at one point and his went slack. So Gary just stands there with his line limp and I get the 20 in the boat. He then sets his rod down and I say, Gary, your line isnt in here buddy. He just kind of stands there and looks at me for awhile as I unhook my fish. He then realizes his line is heading up the river, and picks his rod back up and ITS STILL ON THERE. :smile2::smile2::smile2: We had a 65 pound fish swimming around on the end of his line for at least 2-3 minutes and didnt even realize it. :smile2: He battled hard, as we were anchored in some fast current. There were a few very tense moments as the fish flopped around on the surface next to the prop as I attempted to boga grip the fish. (We forgot the net) But she was slid over the transom, and I laughed at one little tired Gary, who was shaking like Paris Hilton at the jail house. :smile2::smile2::smile2: We both let out a loud yell, and just stood and stared at it. Gary, guess that bout covers the personal best. :wink: Now go kill a deer and get me some jerky already.