The skunk is leaving the building!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by MoDamselfly, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    [​IMG]

The cute little critter gets a new home at end of year! Im off the skunk list with a 31 lb blue, caught last night after Cuz fest. I have to send a big thank you to the Okies for charging our battery that happened to be dead as a doornail. I couldn't have achieved this great feat, of getting the award we so proudly displayed passed around to other club members, without their help. :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes thats me holding my fish and I even have slim on my sweats! :smile2: I have to say that was a heavy fish! (Sorry the pic is sideways!)

Anyway there is a long story about how we scoped up river from the dock a ways, passing up the Okies and Willie, and how we tried a few wing dikes without success. We finally found what looked to be a good couple humps in the currant we decided to try out. Once we got the anchor to hold, we baited and waited and it wasn't after the Okies called saying they were heading back in we got the bite. It was more of a playful nibble at first...not a starving slam that's for sure, but it was enough it was set and hooked and I began reeling him in. Mal was working on getting the lines in but with four poles out, and me still being a newbie, the fish managed to find its way into our line and roll a bit for fun! That was fun!:tounge_out:
    I got it to the boat it still had alot of fight to it, giving Mal a run for his money to get it in. Once in the boat and being weighed...oh and untangled, it shows Mal just how pleased he was about being caught when Mal put his hand in hiits mouth and it came back bleeding. LOL

So here we are untangling and working on him when I look up and the last pole in the water was bent double and the boat was spinning in a circle! Mal has the caught fish in hand so I go for the pole and struggle to get it out of the holder and pull and could tell by the couple big jerks I got back that we had another one! The fish is stripping line off as I'm trying to just hang on, it must have swam half way to the Arch before we noticed...LOL. j/k Long story short the fish turned and swam back down or towards boat because suddenly the line got slack in it and I could reel fast enough and it somehow manange to jump off my hook. But it definately would have been bigger than the we got in the boat. :sad2: So that's my first....big one that got away story.

Deb

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Congrats Debbi!! Great Pictures and better story!! You're hooked for life now!! Good job!!:big_smile:

3. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Nice fish and story to boot:wink:

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Congrats Deb & Mike. We are glad we could help out a fellow fisher person. :wink: :wink:

Now where did you say those humps where at????

5. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Yup! But now I'm gonna def have to hit the gym if Im gonna reel a monster! Sad part is....Mal will be wearing his flowery shorts everytime we go fishing. HaHa! Im just glad the curse has lifted... *sticks tongue out at Punkin* :tounge_out:

6. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Deb
    Slime on your sweats is a good thing....:cool2: :cool2: the more the merrier I say..:big_smile: :big_smile:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Way to go Debbie and that was a very nice story.

8. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Great JOB !!!:big_smile:

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Congratualtions, Deb!:wink: That sure makes for a good night!:big_smile:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Debbie congrats on the new PB blue. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. That is a great way to put the skunks list behind you. Reps.

11. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    way to go deb:
    I am really glad we got that ufc thing out of the way when we did,cause it looks like you have got things figured out now

12. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    nice fish, good job and congrats to ya!

13. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    congrats Deb on your new PB.... Where was you guys when you hooked up with that pretty blue. Keep up the good work.

14. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Oh no…. a nut roll wanna be… those shorts have been Greg’s signature:eek:oooh:… Now Mike has appropriated Greg’s signature clothing line as his rabbit’s foot… Debbie, all that I can say is the last person that wore those shorts all sorts of calamity fell upon the poor fella:crazy:… come to think of it he hasn’t wore them at the last meetings and now he is in the process of becoming normal again.

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Congrats Deb, very nice blue........Mike you gonna find yourself going out more often now.... shes hooked

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Deb!! That is a great fish you got there. :big_smile:

It brings up an interesting question. What happens if everyone gets off the skunk list this year? Do we raise the threshold to 30# for next season?

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Congratulations Debbie! That is a great fish and you got your "one that got away" story to boot. You guys are on fire with the big fish. Keep up the good work and keep those pics and storys coming.

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Congrats Deb. You know I am kinda kickin myself in the butt now cause Mike ask me to go with you. I was gettin tired I said. Story of my life:smile2::smile2:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Great job Debbie!!! I'm proud of you.

20. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Debbie,
    great fish! Congrats! Now mike has to look out..... He may be dragged to the river every free moment he has! Good job on the fish it's a great one!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009