The skipjack are back and hitting at Alton Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by TEAM CATTER, May 30, 2007.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I HAD FUN CATCHING SKIPPIES AND HAPPY HELPING OUT BOC MEMBERS. SORRY,GUYS I FORGET YOUR NAMES WHO I WAS FISHING WITH AND I WOULD OF HELP A LITTLE MORE BUT HAD THINGS ON MY MIND AND NEED A BREAK.OK, BROTHER AND SISTER OF THE BOC,I'M GOING TO GET YELLED AT LIKE I ALWAY DO.GO TO THE MO.SIDE OF ALTON DAM .PARK AT THE PARKING LOT AND WALK DOWN TO THE RIVER THERE'S A LITTLE POINT THAT JET OUT INTO THE TRAILWATER BEHIND THE DAM.CAST A CRAPPIE JIG (WHITE WORKS REALLY GOOD) OUT INTO THE RIVER AND HAVE FUN.ANOTHER PLACE IS RIGHT UP NEXT TO DAM.I BE OUT TOMORROW TILL ABOUT 7:30 P.M. HELPING PEOPLE CATCH SKIPPIES.IF YOU DID HELP YELL AT ME OR TO B.S THAT"S FINE TO.

2. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Victor that was me and catmankev,we ended up with about 10,were going to try again one day this week.A word of advice is theres only a couple of real good spots down there-come early or bring a boat.It was elbow to elbow and difficult to get one of the good spots without being a jerk and moving right on top of someone.

3. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks for helping me with the skippies and thanks for giving me some. We'll have to fish together soon.

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    sounds good let me know with a pm or catch me at the dam

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    caught 50 skippies today :cool2:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Myself and a couple other members need to get some jacks and will come over if you can put us on some. Would need a room if theres one close for the night.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Victor, where can you put a boat in, at Alton to catch some skips, Spoonfish and I are thinking about, going and finding some skips, closest motel, probley spend the night. Also is their any bait shop that sell frozen skips, in that area.
    any info. would help
    Jim

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    You can put your boat in right in Alton there are three locations. One is on the Alton side of the river under the 367 bridge by the Alton marina. Another is directly across the river from this location. But the one that you want to use is the third location. It is one exit before crossing the river on 367 into Illinois right next to a Fisca station you just take that road all the way down to the dam and there is a boat ramp there.
    Now as far as a bait shop goes I will assume you 'll come in on 367 to Alton. You will make a right at the stop light. Immeadiatley go to the left lane and take the left exit at the stoplight. I think the street is broadway connection. Then you make a right turn at the next stop light. This street will be Broadway. It is a mile or so on the right called Bluff City Tackle. I recommend picking up some little white jigs and a sabiki rig the were biting on both. The sabiki rig seemed to be producing more fish. but I wouldn't limit yourself to just one bait. The Bluff City address is 2813 east broadway telephone is 618-466-6175.
    If you want to pm me about a hotel to stay in there are several if you give me a price range I'll help you more. You can go cheap or for about $100 you can stay in the Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn, bottom line is there are a lot of hotels you could probably do a search and get better info than I can give you.

9. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I am sure if you need help once you get here one of us can help you PM me when you are coming and I will try to help I'll give you my cell number.

10. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i'll be out of town foor the next two weekend,sorry.like misssisssippi man said use white jigs,sab riggs,or even crickets at the banks.with a boat you can cover more water and area then on the bank.you see the skipppie break surfuce just out of range form the bank.with a boat watch for the school to break surface and work to them and start casting.i can't be in a boat to long do to kidney problem right now.try to hookup with mississippiman and he can show you the ropes.i fish with mississippi man and he really good person.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey vicker or any one else who get skips on a normal basis pm me the next time you go. just want to see how you do it I cant get not a one.
    went to chain of rocks and got one in my cast net (lucky i guess):roll_eyes: