The Showoff Thread/Setup Question Thread

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ste6168, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Whats up everyone. I have seen this, or something similar, done on other sites and I think it would be great to do here. Every time I get on the BOC/USCA I see someone upgrading equipment asking "what is your favorite _______ (insert: rod, reel, line, combo, etc)" and I think it would be nice to have a nice large thread where we can post our setups, pictures, like/dislikes, etc. Not only will this give new guys/upgraders a place to start and look, it will be a nice thread with information on setups (and of course a nice place for those of you with st. croix and loomis rods or shimano and big abu reels to showoff :wink:).

I would love to get this thread going, and if it does pick up maybe even made into a sticky somewhere for new guys! All I am asking is keep the "talking and comments" to a minimum. If you want to ask someone about their setups, send them a PM. Lets use the KISS method for this thread (Keep It Simple & Stupid). Post your setups, mark your favorites, maybe a little info on them (what you like/dislike about each, or individual components, and maybe a few pictures. Hopefully this can work and become a great resource. Let's see them!!!

(I am going to start a second post with my setups!)

2. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, since I started the thread. Here are my catfishing setups:

(from left to right in pictures)

1) Reel: Ming Yang CZH-60 Rod: Cabelas Whuppin Stick 8' H casting Line: 65lb test Power Pro Moss Green
    2) Reel: Abu Garcia 6500TCCF "Green Cat" Rod: TWC Series 7' 6" cating Line: 65lb test Power Pro Moss Green
    3) Reel: Abu Garcia 6600CB w/ added powerhandle Rod: TWC Series 7' 6" MH casting Line: 65lb test Power Pro Moss Green
    4) Reel: Cabelas Salt Striker Baitfeeder 65 Rod: Berkely Glowstick 8ft MH spinning Line: 30lb Suffix Superior Smoke Blue
    5) Reel: Cabelas Salt Striker Baitfeeder 65 Rod: Cabelas Whuppin Stick 8ft H spinning Line: 30lb Suffix Superior Smoke Blue
    6) Reel: Cabelas Salt Striker Baitfeeder 80 Rod: Ugly Stick Big Water 9ft MH Line Suffix Superior 40lb Hi Vis Yellow

My favorite combos are by far # 2 & 3. The TWC, IMO, are the nicest catfish rod you can buy (although there are some other really nice ones out there). The Abus perform flawlessly now, especially with the power handles, and will for years. Some people do not like PP line, but I LOVE it. I have never had any problems with it, its relatively cheap, and it is strong! The glowstick and ugly sticks also perform well for a low end rod, although I am looking to replace the rods on combos 4&5 with a nicer rod this year. I would eventually like to have 4 "go to" rods (combo 2-6). I absolutely hate combo 6, and it leaves the rack about once or twice a year. The rod is too stiff, heavy, and not a very good caster IMO. The SS in size 80 is just too big, clunky and heavy-- a 65 size is much better IMO. Combo 1 is great for a cheap/beginners/loaner combo. That is my "backup" combo, but the only reason it doesn't get used as much is because there is a 2 rod limit in PA, and I am usually going to throw the TWC combos, or # 4 and 5.

Let's see what we got here on the board, I bet alot of people have similar combos/components in their combo! Tight Lines All!

(first and second picture below correspond to combos listed above, other is a show-off picture of those and some others. Not shown are my bass, trout, and pier rods)

Attached Files:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I just bring the triplets out for all my flattin,Huey,Dewey,and Louie.1.Daiwa Saltist 40-12ft Bigwater Ugly-#80 braid. 2.Saltist30-7ft Bigwater Ugly Custom-#80 braid.3.Saltist 30-7ft Bigwater Ugly Custom-#100 braid.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have different setup for different types of catfishing.

For drifting
    Shimano Tekota 700 Line Counter reels - Ugly Stick Tiger rods 7' - Power Pro 60# test - Sinker Slide with Bank Sinkers - 60# mono leader - Gamakatsu 8/0 Circle hooks - big barrel swivels

The idea behind this is I don't drag baits when drifting I use my sonar to tell me the depth and I hit different depths using the line counter reels. I also use this same setup for bait drifting under barges, the braided line allows you to feel every nibble and the line counter allows you to return exactly to where the fish are biting. Circles works perfect for this setup since most of the time they are hooking themselves. Since the bait is always on the move they really hit it and run.

For anchored bottom fishing
    Abu Garcia 6500 c3 - 10' catmaxx or american spirit night stick - 25lb Berkley Big Game Mono - Sinker Slide with Bank Sinkers or No-Rolls - big barrel swivels - 60# mono leader - 8/0-10/0 King Kahle hooks

The idea here is longer poles and non-line counter reels for longer and more accurate casts. I also use this setup to fish for flats when I will hug on structure. I prefer to "set the hook" when I am bottom fishing because sometimes they just suck it in and don't run.

5. b.ries

b.ries New Member

State:
    Ohio.
    My would have to be a 7'6 medium heavy cat maxx rod a bass pro mega cast baitcaster (big version) carolina rig (2 oz. weight, bead and 5 aut gamakotsu octupus "J" hook.Also 20 pound test made by bass pro.This set up is good for all cats.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My current set up is Abu 6000 and Abu 6500C3 both spool with 20 lb mono, right now I have them on 6,6'' rod I hope to replace them with Ugly sticks, I dont have any pictures at the momment.

7. oklakugels

oklakugels New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is what I am working with it's nothing fancy but it's all been treating me right. I hope the pictures are big enough to tell what all is there. The back pack holds everything I need on a typical trip, lately the castnet has been left behind for extra gloves and dry socks. The first picture is everything out of the pack, the second is the pack loaded up ready to go. I have two okuma tundra combos, three little tackle trays full of stuff, on top of those is my gunny sack i use as a live-well, behind that is my lunch-box that i keep the castnet in, it might be hard to see but there is a pair of pliers, a roll of duct tape, a couple of spools of mono for leaders, a 50 lb scale, zip ties for castnet repair, and a dip net! gear1.jpg gear2.jpg

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    2- 9' MH- Whuppin Sticks, Okuma Avenger 55a's, 50# Power Pro Braid
    2- 8'6" M- Tika Steelhead Rods, Okuma Helix II H-40's, 30# Calcuta Braid
    2- 6' M- Ugly Sticks, Shakespear Catera 35's, 30# Power Pro Braid

I don't have a boat so I bank/dock fish the 6' poles I use for a few spots where the cats spawn here, night bobber fish, I use em for Trout/Bass/Bait fish as well. I have had little time to use the Big boys but I needed them for a few spots where I need to get way out on some flats the cats hang out on. I have not used the Steelhead set ups for anything other than Steelhead, but I might use em for bobber fishing the spawning bes & trout this year.

Attached Files:

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    South Bend 10ft Mudville md/hvy spinning rod with Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner (70 size) 65lb braid
    South Bend 10ft Mudville md/hvy spinning rod with Daiwa Emcast 5500 spinning reel, 65lb braid

These 10 ft rods are a bit more flexible that I thought they'd be (hey I get them for $15 each) so I'm actually going to go with a lighter line on them this year.

South Bend Mudville 8ft md/hvy spinning rod with Daiwa Regal 4550 Baitfeeder spinning reel, 65lb braid
    South Bend Mudville 8ft md/hvy spinning rod with Daiwa Regal 4000 spinning reel and 65lb braid

These 8ft rods are much stiffer than the 10ft ones and will run with any rod under $40.

Daiwa Eliminator Surf 7ft spinning rod and Shakespeare Tempest spinning reel with 15lb P-Line x 2

Bass Pro Cat Maxx 8ft md/hvy spinning rod (shopping for reels) and 65lb braid x 2

6 various baitcasting rods with closed face spincast reels for the kids and 15lb P-line

4 different light action to med action spinning rods with Mitchell Avocet Silver spinning reels, 4lb to 10lb line

An Ocean Master lever drag reel looking for a rod, it hold 600yds of 30lb line.

Another Shakespeare Tempest spinning reel looking for a med action rod.

Probably another 4 combos in the near future, but not sure what they'll be yet.

90% various size/brand circle hooks (always experimenting), basic bait holder hooks, lbs and lbs of egg/flat/bank sinkers, swivels, etc.

10. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What I have is a 7 ft catmaxx mh rod with a catmaxx c3 reel this was my first ever baitcaster, then last year I got a 7ft 6 inch catmaxx mh rod with abu 6500 with power handle, both spooled with braid.

11. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    heres mine more then i wanna type what it is but you can take a look

Attached Files:

12. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    few more

Attached Files:

13. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    few more

Attached Files:

14. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    last one

Attached Files:

15. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    2 quantums 1 penn 330gt2 and 2 shakespheres. 2 home built rod holders for band fishn. 1 custom walkn stick made of cedar with a murrell mushroom head carved in the top 1 arreator for the bait fish. 1 chair and 1 tackle bag. rods are a diawa 3 shakespheres ugly sticks 1 zebco catfish stick 1 zebco hawg seeker and 1 quantom bill dance edition catfish stick. proud of all of it.

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Looks good Isaiah,looks like you,re ready to go at a moments notice!I was wondering what the hell that walking stick was,I thought it was maybe some kind of spear or something.LOL

17. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    im always ready man when u wanna go! lol

18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 40+ Rod/Reel Combos. Some for Bass, some for Panfish, some for eater Channels, some for lake/pond fishing. Here are some of my favorite Combos for fishing the James, I use these set ups more than anything, sorry I dont have pics of all my setups but this enough, they are:
    2 H action 8' James River Custom Rods w 2 Penn 309Ms-100#PP
    2 H action Quantum Big Cat Rods(1 7'10-1 7'6") w 2 Okuma 450Ls-80#PP
    2 MH 7' Shakespere Tigers w 2 Penn 320GT2s-80#PP
    2 MH 8' American Spirit Nitesticks w 2 Shakespere Arsenal 20s-80#PP
    1 MH 8' American Spitir Nitestick w 1 Abu Garcia 7000i-80#PP
    1 MH 7'6" TWC Rod w 1 Ming Yang CL70-80#PP
    1 MH 8' Berkeley Glowstick w 1 Abu Garcia 6500C3-65#PP
    1 MH 8' Berkeley Glowstick w 1 Ming Yang CZH60-65#PP

Gonna be changing the 7000i to a TWC Rod soon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  19. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Heres a few more sorry about the closet pic but I was too lazy to walk out in the cold to put them in the storage closet plus I like them out of the conditions in the winter, sorry for the other rods/reels lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  20. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I guess thats it for now

Attached Files: