The shad are back.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by roofermike, Aug 23, 2006.

1. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I don't know about the rest of you but in mid July up until a couple weeks ago I was having trouble getting any shad. Throw 50-60 times and only get a dozen. Starting about 2 weeks ago it has been getting better, this morning I was in hog heaven, everywhere I went I was getting 20-30 shad per cast in the 2-8" range. Also netted a spoonbill about 3 feet long this morning, that was a first for me.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Those spoonies are a little hard on nets!! we had good luck last weekend getting bait, it is a lot better than a month ago for sure.

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    In june/july I was getting little 2-3" shad at sandbars. Now in Aug in the same places I get quite a few 6-8" shad in every cast (growing fast I guess).

I like one post where the member said he added weights to speed sinking of the net, think I will try that great tip!

This year is my first year of being able to get bait anytime from river with just a net (whew, what a relief).

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've been finding the Shad pretty easily behind the wing dykes all summer. Guess I'll count my blessings. LOL. Usually getting 3-4 dozen in fifteen minutes and have been getting some really large ones. Now, just need to get the whiskers to eat them. :big_smile:

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i don't now but i recently was showed a spillway were there i suposed to be some shad. my buddy and i went there last wek and he broke his cast net so we didn't get but a couple.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Theres a lot of shad up around the Saverton Dam.Fairly small from what Believer and I saw Sunday .I'd say 4 inches maybe.These was when we was bank fishing. Probably more up by the dam.

7. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Well on thursday I was out on the river and the shad were thick, caught 100+ 4-6 inchers in one cast. But with the heavy rain on Friday and Saturday seems like the shad have scattered, for a little while at least.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    hey John, I caught a mess of skipjacks up there at saverton when I ran up there after the tournament. They were mostly pretty small between 3 and 6 inches but they were plentifull.

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Hey Mike and Cuz are you guys throw netting right behind the dikes?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I found shad last weekend in shallow feeder creeks - water was never more than 2 ft deep, got all the shad we needed in just a few throws, all of them very respectable size with a couple of huge ones.

Haven't tried behind wing dams lately.

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I would like to hear others experiences-techniques for when to pull net back in.
    In 8 or 10 feet of water I pull net in just after I feel net hit the fish and is sometimes better than letting hit bottom. But I get more drum from letting hit bottom.
    Course if its shallow then dont matter.

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    James, I don't think I've ever felt my net hit the fish except on the occasional times when it lands on a bigger fish. Do you feel it hit them when it hits shad ? Maybe I should keep a tiny amount of tension on the rope as it sinks? That would tend to close it up though wouldn't it? I always try to pull it back in just before it hits bottom unless I am in an area I am pretty sure is snag free, I've tore up a couple good nets and I'm gun shy now of snags.

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Yeah Jack,
    Just started noticing when keeping slight tension.
    Thinking the 6-8inchers do smack net and I can feel them.
    Have 3 nets:
    • old salt (big)
    • 10ft wallmart
    • 8ft basspro
    was on bass pro one.
    This was throwing in 8ft water in marina from boat deck out in open water.

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Gonna have to see if I can keep a bit of tension on it this weekend and see if I can feel them. I've been thinking about your question of when to pull it back in, don't know the answer but I was thinking I'd like to toss a net in some clear water sometime and watch it as it drops just to see exactly how it works and how the fish react as it comes down on them. If they pretty much all stay trapped in it or how many actually are able to excape if you continue to let it fall after they are hit. My feeling is that once it has reached them then not too many get out but that's just a hunch .

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I do throw behind the dykes, but I concentrate on the steep mud banks where there is a little current. I throw all the way up into the shallows, even into the grass if the river is up, and if I dont get many that way, I back off 10 feet or so. I've been finding bait extremely easy all summer long. Its been the easiest year for finding bait for me as long as I can remember. We didnt get a real high river stage this spring and my best guess is the shad couldnt get up the creeks this spring and had there spawn in slack water behind the dykes which might explain the large numbers I'm finding. Just a theory, but makes sense to me.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've been throwing cast nets since I was a kid and I can tell ya that any tension on that rope at all will collapse the net somewhat costing you a few precious baits. If you dont have a rocky/snaggy bottom your best to let it sink all the way to the bottom. The key to the entire process is that first jerk of the rope when you pull it all together. Its best to give the rope one really quick hard pull, then keep a steady strain on the net all the way to the boat. you dont want any slack on that rope till you get the fish in the boat. Even if you are throwing in deep water and cant reach bottom allow the net to go down as much as you can and make sure you give a really hard pull at the end. This pulls the lanyards which are attached to the bottom loop ring and gets that net closed fast so not to many escape. The key is to not lose any movement from the time you pull till you get them to the boat. If you hesitate, the net will open somewhat and some of your baits will escape. Hope this helps.

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Thanks Cuz,
    I continue to learn with my cast nets for best places and methods and appreciate you sharing that.

18. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Cuz, that's how I've been throwing the net, except maybe now I will concentrate a little harder on that first tug to get it to close a little faster. We were just wondering if maybe there was a better way than what we had been doing, experimenting sometimes brings big rewards , but from what you say I guess I won't be changing much on the cast netting except on the initial tug. I think that keeping a continuous steady pull once you begin pulling , is important not only to keep the net closed but to help pin the fish against the net where they can't escape even if there was an opening. Thanks for the information.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's been my experience that once the net is closed, it stays closed unless you let the line go slack. And the way the nets are built, the shad end up pinned against the side of the ne,t well below the lead line that's all bunched up keeping it closed, so they're not anywhere near the opening.

Unless you drop the line completely, I don't think you're going to lose many fish. And besies, my nets have enough holes torn in them that I lose more shad through the holes than through the opening in any case...:roll_eyes:

Also, if you're throwing a big net in shallow water (such as an 8 ft radius in 4 ft or shallower water), you can't jerk the net closed without risking losing a lot of bait - you have to work it in slowly so as to keep the lead line resting on the bottom until it's all gathered up.

I think if you're *not* going to let the net go all the way to the bottom, a good hard jerk to close it is in order. But otherwise, once it settles on the bottom, just start pulling it in and you're not going to lose enough to worry about.

To me, it's not really worth spending all the effort to try to finesse the net to maximize your catch; just throw it a few more times if you have to and go fishing.

20. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I am also throwing my net in the feeder creeks on the Missouri River. That is about the only place that I can find them consistantly.