The Rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Bigbluefisherman, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone seeing any rutting activity? I have seen a few small bucks chasing does and have found a few scrapes. I didn't see two shooters last night while driving around the farm I hunt, and both were making scrapes. I was just curious what everyone else was seeing.

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Several people in my area have started seeing some chasing by the bigger bucks this week. I'm hoping the weather tomorrow will have them out and about looking for love 20 yards broadside past my stand. :roll_eyes:

A lady here at the school district that I work for said she watched a big buck chasing three does around there pasture field earlier this week.

3. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Well the bucks are getting stupid out here in Kansas, 2 car deer accidents so far today They say 11/10 is the peak

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have been chasing mule deer. i have been seeing a ton of really nice bucks, but i am having serious trouble with the spot and stalk. the whitetails are sarting to move a little, but only when it's cold. the weather has been really weird lately. good luck to all!

5. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have been seeing scraps and rubs but no chaseing yet. Weather here is cold a few days then warmes up for a couple days, last weeks lows in th 40's this weekend it has been in the upper 70's . Friday hit 80, just not staying cold.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    While going to the woods yesterday mornin i hit a forked horn. Probably wasn't going 30mph and killed it dead as a hammer. Not much damage to my rig and almost none at all to the meat. Broke one of it's horns off so i guess it was a head shot.:embarassed: Called the warden and he looked at my truck and told me to keep it.He wrote a donation slip and i have the meat sittin on ice. I had backstrap and greasey fried taters for supper.:wink:

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm heading out this afternoon, but hoping to use my bow instead of my
    Trailblazer!:smile2:

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't seen a buck on my land all year, but this week I got a bunch of different bucks on my trail cam and today saw a buck chasin a doe so I think it is gettin close.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Same thing is happening on our farm now. Four if not five different bucks have showed up on our cams. Two of them are definite 3.5-4.5 year old shooters. Man I can't wait for vacation to start next Thursday. I get a solid 10 days of nothing but hunting.:big_smile:

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hahahaha!! That's funny!!
    John, glad you weren't hurt.
    Seth, my husband & I are taking a week off starting Saturday; gonna hunt the whole time! I can't wait!
    Good luck to all of you!

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Alot of rub and scrape activity so far up here. Some fighting is also going on between the bigger bucks. I have been out of state hunting for the past two weeks and I got back saturday and saw alot of deer in the fields about 2 hours before sundown. Saw a decent buck doggin a doe too.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Bucks are all over the does now-it's on!

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The 3 times I've been out so far, I've witnessed a few small rubs and a scrape near my stand site. Only seen some LOCAL does, I like to call them. The corn is still in the fields, and I believe this is hampering the seeing of more deer. Talked to my cuz in Iowa last night and he said he has seen a few bucks chasing does right now. Seen alot of deer movement.

Thinking I will get in the stand tomorrow for some action. Going to use the rattling bag and grunt tube. Hoping to stir something up!!

Looks like the farmers might be delayed on the harvest up till Thanksgiving and later for the corn harvest.:angry: Not looking good for some real RUT action, but will continue to try my luck on harvesting a PB buck this year or even whacking a doe with the bow!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  14. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Not yet here in Florida

15. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    sat seen about a 145inch 10pt trailing a doe at about 9:30 - hunted all day and these were the only two deer I saw - this a.m. seen a total of 9 deer - one big doe by herself just at light - about 45min latter saw 4 does come running down the ridge from my stand - hit the can twice and did a small cadence of tending grunts and had an 11 point come grunting right under the stand - ten point main frame with a 4 inch kicker off his g2 on the right side - looked like a 3 1/2yr old so I let him walk - probably in the low 130s - hour latter a doe and her yearling come above me at about 45yds and winded me - never blew just stomped a few times and turned and walked off - don't know if it was me she smelled or the buck from earlier but eather way the back straps are stayin warm for another day - 20 mins latter had a little spike buck come from behind me and cross a saddle about 10yds from me - rattled 3 times but never any luck - I'm assuming it's just the seek phase right now due to the bigger buck giving up the chase to investagate - next week end should be prime time - a little cooler weather sure wouldn't hurt anything and the long rage is saying the 9th thru the 11th lows in the 30s and highs in the low 50s - if it holds true it'll be time to pack a lunch and stick it out for the all day hunts - good luck everyone

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hunted Eastern KS Friday through this morning and really didn't see much rut activity. I saw 8 or so bucks, all of them were young ones. My brother in law saw about as many does, and none of them were being followed by bucks. All of the deer movement I saw was early morning, once 9 am rolled around it was pretty dead in the woods. I think we were fighting a combination of a full moon and warmer weather. I really haven't seen much rubbing or scraping which kind of makes me wonder. I would say they would have to be in the early stage of the rut, but atleast a week or two from really kicking into gear.

17. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    The window is opening now - if you're not seeing sign in kansas now you're not in the right place - not to discard anyones opinion however seen 3 yearlings running hard this a.m. and 20 mins latter a big doe with a buck on her tail - the mature does are getting ready to accept mates and the big boys know it's time - cool weather in the mornings - set up between doe bedding areas and make sure the wind is right - imo the biggest deer that will be taken in Kansas will be in the next 5 days - I'm on a 180 class now and he will make a mistake - imo ther are about 7 days out of the year you can doup a big one and if ya wait another two weeks it'll be too late - I hope I'm not offinding anyone by what I have to say but if ya wait till they're breeding does to hunt that mature buck will have a mature doe locked down and you'll have to settle for a NICE 140 or so - as for me i'd as soon have a tag unfilled - nows the time - make it happen - good luck everyone:wink: