The Rut in Your Area

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 20, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When does the rut start in you hunting area? It peaks here the first two or three weeks on November.

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well rut here in Missouri is just about to kick in pretty hard, usually halloween is when they start in real good. But, I have been out this week and have seen some activity. Bucks chasing does and a few scraps and of coarse the rubs. I think this weekend is going to be good, I am going all weekend long.

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its about the same here (north Idaho) first two weeks of Nov.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    after the first good killin frost when every thing has a good layer of frost/ice on it thats when all the other scents are gone and thats the morning to be out there.thats when the bucks go crazy!!!:tounge_out:

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Billie, I live in central Arkansas and the younger bucks will start pestering the does a week either side of the first of November but the girls ain't interested. The week of Thanksgiving always seems to be the peak where we hunt. That's when the big boys start chasing the girls and those little bucks are looking over there shoulder. That's when you can catch a little fork horn sneaking up on a doe and scare the crap out of him with a grunt call.:big_smile:

st

6. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Its in now in central va. The first week of our bow season I saw young bucks chasing, the second week I see bigger bucks chasing and grunting. I could not stop any of the bigger ones and had to settle on the smaller ones following the action.

Attached Files:

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    John, what part of VA are you hunting in? I'm hunting Bedford and Craig counties and have seen no sign of the rut yet. I'm seeing nothing but Does. No Bucks at all, no running tracks, and no scrapes. I've been useing scents and rattleing this last week and have had no response.

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This past weekend showed a little rut sign here in northwest, MO. It is only going to get better....this weekend we should see somemore action.

9. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    here in the northern panhandle of west virginia it seems like they are wanting to start any time now. a coulple scrapes here and there seen one small buck chasing but are peek time here is nov 6th thru the 12th that seems to be the best time. i shot alittle 6 point last night he was with 2 yearlings.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    its around the 15th of nov here and deer season is oct 28 -nov 8 aint that luck

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That sucks, 223! Here it seems to be the last week of Muzzle loader season and the first week of gun season. I ain't workin' those two weeks!

12. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Flathead Willie, I'm in Goochland Amelia Powhatan. All of my friends are finding scrapes rubs and lots of sign in the oaks. This is one of the best white oak mast productions years I have ever seen.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    heres the worst part willie weve got season broken into two hunts one Oct 28-Nov1 then Nov4-8 and you have to choose only one

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I finally found a couple scrapes yesterday but nothing much. The White Oaks aren't dropping anything up here or the deer ate them already but the other oaks are producing plenty of acorns. For some reason the deer are still heading to the fields to eat at night. I managed to stick another deer day before yesterday, a 4 pointer at 8 yards. When I went to get him yesterday morning, I found a place where the deer are tearing up a hillside eating acorns right at the edge of some private property. I'll be out there Friday and Saturday looking for the big one.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have always found the peak of the rut easy to figure out. It's when the UPS man starts pulling in your driveway automatically, without looking to see if he has another delivery from Cabela's. It's when my heart starts racing, like it does when I am driving way too fast to beat my wife home in time to hide those deliveries. It's when I go nocturnal, getting up in the night to open those packages and hide their contents. It's my getting out before daylight and staying out till after dark, working to pay off all those things I bought.

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Things are starting to get interesting. I hunt Goochland county VA some. Its closest to my house. The three farms I hunt have deer out the wazoo in the pastures eating clover all summer. Hardly see them in the pastures now for all the acorns. I mean every grove is dropping them by the bushels and the deer are spread out in the woods. I think if they are unmolested and have water close by, they can make a living right now not moving 100 feet. I hunted in the wind yesterday and in the woods it sounded like a hard rain with all the acorns falling. A plus note! For the first time this year, I saw two small bucks trailing does. I have been lucky with my crossbow this year freezer is full of doe meat and now and waiting for a big boy.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, Guy, the acorns are everywhere. It's like walking on marbles out there. Years like this make it harder to pattern deer because they can bed up in the same places they eat and don't seem to travel as much. I've hunted four times this year and have taken two deer by hunting at the edge of pastures. They are still coming out to eat grass right at dark, or maybe they are gorged on acorns all day and going to the pastures for a change and to rest between meals.

18. buckshot

buckshot New Member

State:
    kansas
    i think were in pre rut here in kansasive found a few rubs by my stand which means that the bucks are getting ready
    ive also have seen a few bucks fallowing does across the fiekds

19. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here in West Kentucky I always go by Nov. 16th as the time to live in the woods for a few days. It is usualy during modern rifle season so we are pretty fortunate there.

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Oct. 29th in southern IN, talked with archers at club today and no sign of rut yet...they're saying another couple weeks at least. Good for us gun hunters.