the rivel metheds of hooks and hooking

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 19, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i was looking at the poll below, on circal hoos, and yea blues channels, nothing but them for me, but ive had mixed results with circals , and kaels with clikers on,im now running 2 polls or three,using both metheds,wen ya see the poll below circals win but the comments say kaels,, who tightlines bluegill with circals with good results, its been 50 50 ror me , man they should do a test to see wich metheds the best, untill i find out ill do both metheds on flats,

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tightlining is all I do with BlueGills on circle hooks, I havent lost a hooked fish wether Cats or Largemouth. As far as clickers, I just started using them, never bothered using them until my last trip

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    DONT USE A CLICKER WITH CIRCAL HOOKS, UNLESS ITS IN THE ENGAGED POSITION YOU MISS THEM ALOT WEN YA FREESPOOL CIRCALS, NOW SOME GAYS CAN DO IT LIKE THAT BUT MOST CANT

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i always use my clicker while usin circle hooks, i let'um run for a few seconds then start reelin, works for me:wink:

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Same here , I just started using circles this year and if on a clicker reel once they start running it usually hooks up with the fish soon as I start to reel . I really like using them on my abu garcia black maxx rod without a clicker , once they pull that rod with a circle on they are hooked .

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I do both ,I either miss a fish or get one,I just dont fret the little chit. Lifes way too short in my honest opinion. Slow down,relax and just have a good time fishin.:crazy:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I disagree 100%. I use circle hooks in free spool and clickers all the time. I think you have to stop looking to the equipment for every problem you have.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use circle hooks with a clicker and this technique seems to work okay for me. For what it's worth... Of course some times I couldn't catch a fish in a barrel, but that's MY problem. :smile2:

9. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I also use a clicker with circles just fine, Lendog showed me the ins and outs, he's got it to a science.

I realized a couple things, obviously you need a softer action pole, if not you're going to miss a lot of fish on the load up. Second I firmly believe braid is KEY to circle hook success. A nice action pole with braid and circles, you can't go wrong.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    another thing ya NEVER wanna do while the fish is runnin the cilicker is PULL and try and set the hook, that will pull the bait outa the flatty's mouth 80% of the time, now once i feel the fish is on for a few seconds fighting then i'll give a yank to lodge the barb in deep.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree. You have to wait for the fish to pull for a circle to work correctly. I see this same thing all the time. Someone says "I have a technique for using circles were I don't have to wait for a run" or "I just swoop the rod to set the hooks using circles" then a few weeks later ... circles don't work or I lost fish to circle hooks.

12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    clickers and circles only for me

13. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I like to here a clicker go off It gets my attention I like circle hooks to I also like King Kahles Both of them will catch a big cat

14. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I like crossing their eyes, so big nasty 10/0 meat grinders is my thing. Most circles I have seen arent the type that can rust out if broke off on a fish. Call me old fashioned but setting the hook and getting that initial run is one reason i like fishing. Using circles would take a bit of the luster away from the fun of it for me. If I was a tournament guy I might change my tune because circles are very popular with tourney guys but its just not my thing, almost like trot lining where they hook themselves. I like the guessing game of how long to let them run before the big yank.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have tryed em and had the problems and then some. Was still losen to many fish. The best luck I had with circles was with offshoreangler wide gaps. I just went back to usen octo J hooks this year and get almost a 90% hook up rate with em. I just keep my rod set without usen a clicker. I just let em load the rod down just like with a circles and get a better hookup with the octo J hooks. Fish is hooked better and I have a lot less pull offs than when I was usen circles. Also you can use smaller hook sizes and that = alot more fish hooked and less dammage to a live bait when hooken em.