The right way to stock private lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 10, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Ok, I own 7 acres and am getting ready to build a house on it this fall. The good news is, the land adjacent to it has a sand pit/lake on it, about 15 acres or so. It is pretty muddy all the time, and VERY deep, at least in the middle. We have fished it a few times, and it is FULL of bullhead and small channel cat. I would like to stock it up with some flatheads and maybe even some blue cats. Since I will be living right on top of it, it will be perfect to be able to take my little girl fishing every night after work by just walking across the yard.

My question is this, is there a right way and a wrong way to stock this bad boy? Like I said, it is a good 25-30' deep, and pretty sure it is spring fed, water is cool most of the time, but also cloudy, or stained at best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I know the ohio dnr has some info about how to stock ponds with what species and such. I do know you aren't supposed to keep fish out of a stocked pond for the first three years.

3. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Sounds like a perfect situation it wont take very long for the bullhead population to be seriously depleted with the introduction of a few flatties and some blues the lake is deep enough to support both species my advice would be to take it slow with stocking so as not to seriously disrupt the natural balance of the lake, just throwing in a whole bunch of large predatory fish in a very short time could have a very detremental effect on the whole lake checking with the D.N.R. would be a great starting point good luck wish I had a lake in my backyard

4. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
  5. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    In my personal experience while in TX, I found that a lake of that size will sustain a fine population of channels, bass, and crappie. Once the Flats and blues were intronduced, they did not grow alot and they did not seem to reproduce as well. I did find that a lake with alot of crappie in it seems to always have bigger and better catfish. Catfish love feeding on them. One of the most important things to consider is the amount of bait in the lake. You need to determine if what you consider alot of baitfish is actually alot. Also, try to stock it with some sort of minnows that reproduce well. I know there are some minnows that are great as bait fish, but also do well with eating the misquito larve around the edges. I will try to think of there name. Hope this helps as a reference for you to use in conjuntion with all the other suggestions.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My plan was to buy a load of fathead minnows, probably a few loads a year for the first year or two. I have also been throwing all the extra black perch I have left over in there this summer. The lake is about 19 years old, and I am sure there are some nice channel already established, along with who knows what else. We have only fished it a couple of times, and caught a bunch of bullheads, and channels that were just under eatin size. I would guess there are channel old enough in there to reproduce if the little ones are in there.

I know even now when it is 100+ degrees, you catch a fish, and pull him out of the water, and he is ICE COLD! So I know it is deep, and there are springs feeding it. It has not dropped 6" all summer, even when ponds around it are going dry.