The right way to kill a fish..Ikejime ?????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Chumbucket101, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    So i was browsing ebay for any sweet deals on fishing gear when i see this item called a “fish nerve tightening wire”. I thought what the heck is this contraption since I couldn’t read the words cause they were all in Japanese. So i utubed it and stumbled upon this video which i found very interesting. Would this be practical for catfish? Maybe. Seems like allot of work. What do you think?

truckgrandpa and Welder like this.
  2. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    This was a very interesting find indeed. I don't think I would have the patience as my health isn't good and when I filet 4-5 fish now I'm done the day. but if I were to actually want to keep the fish longer and age them, well maybe this would be the way I don't know. Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

Welder and Chumbucket101 like this.

3. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    Yeah, i may conduct an experiment the next time i catch a few fish. At least bleed out one or two, i dont have the wire but i do have an awl i can use for the brain spike.

Welder likes this.
  4. Michael Wilkerson

Michael Wilkerson Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Name:
    Captain Wilk
    We use this method to kill yellow fin
    tuna. There is a dramatic difference in the flesh quality and taste.

Capt. Wilk

Chumbucket101 likes this.
  5. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    I suspect this would be the case. Its amazing how the tuna in a can is much fishier than tuna used for sushi.

6. truckgrandpa

truckgrandpa Active Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Bill
    This is very interesting. I wonder, though, in order to use this method, would a person need to buy a special tool to kill the fish or would a common icepick work?
    It seems to me that it would.