The Red River Oklahoma's Greatest

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by mtrimble, Dec 11, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I kinda think of this as Oklahoma's premeire river. Believe it or not but Oklahoma owns it till the grass starts growing on the texas side. Its got a ton of history of battles between Oklahomans and texans. Blue cats are native to it. Logjams galore. Its loaded with large flats channels and alligator gar (ive seen alligator gar over 7 ft caught in this river). Id like to put my boat into it and live on it for about a month before I die. Does anyone know of any spots you can drop a boat in? There are also a bunch of Oxbow lakes in the southeast that im sure are are also great fishing. Lets hear from some of you guys that fish Oklahoma's greatest river.

2. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    ive fished it alot of times but never in a boat the water level is not consistant where im at but with an air boat you could go anywhere goods luck

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I dont have an air boat. Where about are you on this river? Ive been to the westernmost bridge before and I wouldnt try navigating it in my boat. However, out east the river runs consistantly deep from my experience. Id like to explore the southeastern portion of this river where all those oxbows are.

4. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    heck, my part of the red river you don't need a boat you can just walk a cross it.

5. kut bait

kut bait New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    there is a P. ramp at the town of Ryan in the town park just west of town on beaver creek. Just motor down the creek about 1 and half miles or so to the river. Good fishing all the way. I have been up and down the red river from Terral up to highway 70 and the water is shallow a lot through here but fish is good most of the time especially during mid april tomid july. Also there is a P. ramp east of Marietta about 5 miles and it is a little hard to find but the fishing is great there. At this point on the river you are just a short distance above lake texhoma and the river is deeper along through there.

kut bait

6. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the red where i live is so shollow a boat would be a lot of trouble. ilive about 4oo yards from red river close to the new bridge in love county .fishing has not been as good lately as passed years .but come spring hope to get better with some rain .but until then we go to texhoma and bank fish alotin the winter after deer season.i am a new member will try to post more often with news of the fishing on red river. GOD BLESS TO ALL FISHERMAN AND WOMEN

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Troy.

Hope to see a lot of posts about the fishing down in your area. Don't be afraid to jump in and give yer 2 cents worth whenever you can, and ask questions. We are all here to help and one big family.

When you get a minute, check out the BOC Member Gatherings section for the KEYSTONE threads. We have a LARGE get together, camping, fishing, BSing, great for the whole family, the first weekend of June at Keystone Lake near Tulsa. Hope you'll be able to make it!

8. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks tony. sounds like lots of fun at keystone and maybe i can make it .i hope the fishing will be better this next year hope to see you at keystone if not sooner maybe a winter fishing trip to texhoma. i need some fish in the freezer so it will be after deer season to do more fishing. GOD BLESS ALL FISHERMEN AND WOMEN