The Reasons I have to keep going Back!!! What are yours???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dreadnaught, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The reasons that keep me fishing. Why do you Fish?

From the time I was a kid of 3years old my dad would take me fishing with him and we would sit and talk the hours away,these were happy times for us. My grandfathers were both fishermen and would both take me fishing with them.
    My moms Dad (grandpa Snapper from Florida) took me fishing in the Indian river as a child which taught me about salt water fishin' and how to have fun doin' it. He was a commercial fisherman in the 50's and 60's and he could sure tell some good stories,LOL!!! We made some fond memories together.
    My Dads father (Granpa Doc from Illinois) Was one of the founders of the Whitehall Ill. Sportsmans Club and an avid fisherman. We shared many hours fishing together and talking about the things that my dad got in trouble for when he was a kid,LOL!!! All in all we had a blast together.
    I miss them both as they are no longer with us.
    My Dad is the main reason I love fishing. He taught me the patients to sit still and watch that rod. He would out of the blue decide to go fishing and ask me "do you want to go?" with a bolt I was in the car and waiting on him to get in,LOL!!! My Dad and I have shared many many hours at the fishing hole and I will never forget the good times we have had. We don't get to fish together that much anymore (He lives in Fla. and I live in Ky.) but I still think about the good times fishing together.
    So to answer my own question; I fish because it gives me a chance to fish with both of my Grandfathers and my Dad at the same time by remembering them and reveling in the thoughts of them sitting there beside me rooting me on while enjoying what nature has to offer. I like sharing the stories told to me by all of them with a friend as we sit there watching those rods.
    I love taking my son with me even if we don't catch anything it is still fun to shoot the breeze with each other,LOL!!! My wife also loves fishing, which is a bonus in it's self.

So in the event that I do go fishing alone , I am not realy alone at all, because I have them with me in my memories.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    JW thanks for sharing your memories with us. That my friend is a great post!!

I fish to relax and get away from the everyday life BS. No matter what is going on in my life I can put a pole in the water and get away in my own little world. My happy place. Even if I dont catch a fish I am relaxing and releiving some stress.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I enjoyed that post brother.

It would take me all day to explain all of the reasons why I fish. But shortly put, when I was about 4 or 5 yr old my dad started taking me fishing in the pond beside our house. It was full of big Bass, and had some Catfish in it. I mostly caught the Bass and after a few trips I just kept wanting to go back down there almost every single day with my dad and would beg him to take me fishing there. Well this kept me intrested in fishing, being a little kid I wanted to catch a lot of fish of course, and the Bass were very easy. LOL!

Well when I got to be about 7 or 8 is when I started going fishing in other places beside my house, my dad had just started to get into catfishing by then and offered to take me to the river which has a lot of big Channel Cats. I was excited to go, and first trip I caught some nice fish, ever since then catfishing is what I've wanted to do every single day, I live to catfish. I've also done a lot of other types of fishing besides catfishing and enjoy it all, even just catching Bream is fun to me, as long as I'm fishing. I got into saltwater fishing a couple years ago and really enjoy that because of the size of the fish you can catch, fish frequently over 100 pounds.

I really thank my dad for what he has done for me, taking me fishing so much, he helped me discover a whole new world. I know the memories of him and I fishing together will stick with me forever.

Zakk

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I think one of the main reasons i fish, aside from the same sorts of things already mentioned, is that I get away from the 'modern' life. I don't use: a computer, telephone, fax machine or any other electric device (okay a light of some kind) to fish. I can enjoy the sounds and sights of nature, share them with my wife or teach them to my kids/grandkids.

I could get all spiritual or whatever about it, but I won't. When i fish I am doing it the same way my father, grandfathers, great-grandfathers and so on did it. There is a lot to be said for that.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was a great post JW,Thanks for sharing.
    I guess I keep going for the peace and relaxation and I just like to fish.Fishing helps to clear my mind and takes my mind off of things.Also,I'm on the quest for the BIG 'UN!!!

6. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish mostly to relax and get away from everything. I also enjoy eating fish. I've been fishing ever since I can remember and it's probably the only thing that I have been doing for so long and never get burnt out on. Not even disappointed if I don't catch anything. Just being on the water is a stress reliever. Don't care if it's raining or even a little chilly. (I like to ice fish some to whenever the ice is thick enough. Don't trust ice much).

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    For the one that got away many many many many many times before

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    JW I feel the same way there are a lot of times that I do not feel like fishing but I feel that My grandfather would take me even if he didnt really want to go so I feel it is my duty to fish and every time I get there Im happy I went

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The first fish I caught was a channel cat, and I have been hoked ever since..Especially once I caught my first flathead..No one in my family fished so I was basically alone and taught myself..I now fish for one cause, the chance to catch a big flathead.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    good stories, John - i enjoyed reading it

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For many of the same reasons some of you go. To get away from the commotion of home and work and to relax and remember all the things that need to be remembered such as family and friends that are no longer with me and friends that I have lost contact with. Sometimes I go just to fish too.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I go because it would be hard to explain to my wife why the place is full of rods, reels, nets, filet knives, fishing magazines and tackle if I didn't!

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The intense apprehension of what your gonna catch this time... :big_smile: Friendship, nature, brewskis, brats on the grill, making more great memories - to name a few reasons to keep going back fishing.

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well I've said before on here my mom and dad divorced when I was 8 years old, I started hunting and fishing with my dad when I was 5 yeah 5 years old got my first shotgun when I was 8, a sears 410 single shot. I went to live with my grandparents when my mom and dad split up (moms parents) they lived in the country and thats where I was raised. Hunted and fished all my life, wasn't much else to do and thats what I always loved to do. More kids need to be rasied hunting and fishing instead of running the streets, more parents need to spend more time with their kids. I'm glad to have had the upbringing that I got, wish more kids could know what it's like to be raised in a small country community where people care about them. These are some of the things I think about when fishing alone. Thanks JW good thread.

15. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow, lets see here, Reasons why i like to fish..Huuummmm..

Ok, well it's a time that my wife and I, (yes we fish together) get to relax for a spell. We don't get to fish as much as we would like to, but work does come first. We love to go camping at the lake when we can and we set out trot lines too.

We both enjoy fishing with rod & reels and trying out new baits we come across, or even old ones.. Ahhh...but when it's time to check those trot lines, I'm like a kid in a toy store waiting to see what I will find.

My wife and I enjoy each others company, and we share everything. I'm so lucky to have a great wife, and especialy one that loves to fish. Hate to admit this, but she catches more than me, most of the time..lol.

I think it's because of the sun tan lotion,(or that's what she says) but that's fine with me too. We both are having fun together, and thats one of the main reason's we fish.......

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I keep goin back cause I forgot to catch the big fish! LOL! Good post JW!

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My parents split up when I was a young child. My father was a good man and a Marine during the korean war, but he was never close to my brothers and me for what ever reason it was, to this day I don't know why and he has since passed away. My step father is the one who taught me how to fish and hunt at around 9 years of age. He has been all over and has fished and hunted from Canada to florida and many places in between. We have a great relationship and he is like a father to me. He was born and raised in South Philadelphia and is old school Italian. He is a butcher and has been since he was 13 years old, he is 65 now. When I get a deer he will always insist on doing the butchering and it is unbelievable to watch him, sometimes it seems like he gets more meat from the deer than possible! We hunt together every season and fish together to! Now I took him out fishing several weeks ago and I am taking him on a guided trip to Raystown lake, P.A. this coming Tuesday! I'll never forget the times he took me fishing as a child and now it's my turn to take him fishing!

JW, great thread!

Attached Files:

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I go becuase my grandparents used to take me all the time, they still do take me sometimes..But i just dont think there is anything better than sitting on a riverbank, or on a boat in the river, and not hearing anything except birds, fish jumping, and just sounds of nature...It is just relaxing, also i HAVE to catch a world/state record, i wont stop chasing the big one until im dead!!!!!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These are all great responses, Keep them coming!!!

20. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i go fishing cause i know that either it's just me getting away from everyday life or i'm teaching my wife and kids what i know to pass on thw knowledge that i have
    i go fishing to bring me closer to nature ,God,myself
    i go fishing to test myself..to see if i'm smarter that what i'm fishing for...
    but most of all...i go fishing cause my wife let's me