Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

801 - 820 of 884 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
"Most folks say work at something you enjoy and you will will never work a day in your life. But, say you enjoy motorcycles, you become motor mech. When weather nice you will be working on other folks stuff. You enjoy fishing, you become a guide. Then you must keep folks on fish and baited, etc. Many other examples are out there."

Bill, you are so right about fun becoming work. I will share with you and others what I went through as a guide. When I had a day job I use to fish on weekends in the late 80's and 90's, got pretty good at finding stripers and catching them. Then I started taking friends and clients of my day job fishing on weekends. Won a few striper tournaments and got my name in the newspaper, then folks started calling me to take them on a striper trip and they were willing to pay me !! Money was good and what made it great is that it was always a cash transaction. All along, starting back when I fished for fun I kept a dairy of where I found stripers, what the weather conditions and water conditions were and the baits they preferred at certain times of the year. Reached a point that a couple of times a year I was taking sports writers out for local and regional outlets and this kept me quite busy with the publicity. Then when I retired from my day job, I quit striper guiding due to the fact that mother nature and man had more of less depleted the striper fisheries on Lake Norman.

After I retired from the real estate business and moved to the lake, I got me a morning job at the largest sportsman center in my parts. This is when I got interesting in catfishing and thru trial and error, I found out that I could catch some nice ones and not only that, I could catch some nice numbers of fish. Again, another sports writer came into my life and he was a writer for the largest newspaper in NC and his name was Jack Higgins and was known for his coverage of NASCAR racing. He called me one day and asked if I would take him catting and I said OK, we bonded right off because his father had been a Wildlife officer and mine a state highway patrolman. Also by then I had tried my hand at catfishing in tournaments and as luck would have it , my partner and myself caught the largest fish that day and got the largest fish monies and second place purse. Again, another sports writer was covering the outing and did a story along with photo of my partner and myself. With these two sports writer mentioning me weekly to monthly I had folks from all over calling me wanting to catch a so called big one.

Now for the bad parts of guiding for anything. Everybody wants to catch the 'big one' when they book you, but the truth be known, it just doesn't happen all the time. I enjoyed taking experience fishermen out because they knew from their own experience that the big one doesn't come along that often. But the weekend warrior, who could not handle a rod and reel would be slightly disappointed, so with them you had to load them up with some big numbers of fish caught.

Other than experience, the best weapon a fishing guide has is his ability to communicate with others and guide them through the process of fishing and praise them when the catch a decent fish and do everything right. Also, never put down someone with no experience, help them all you can.

A small percentage of folks you take fishing are not going to be pleased with a dang thing you do and you have to do the best you can for them or if it get bad with negative remarks, take them back to the dock and tell them to forget about your fee. I did this twice in thirty years of guiding.

Your hero and mine, Brad Burdick is excellent is doing what I have mentioned. I fished with him two days in a row on the Red River of the North and in a way, we were in awe of each other. In the book that I co-authored, Brad got the best write up of any fishing guide we went out with to gather information for our book.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,116 Posts
Would love to get some rain up here.

Felt like real real trailer trash this eve. Cleaned the old plastic kids pool then filled it with water. Then ma and I sat in chairs at edge with feet in pool. We drank iced tea not beer. Watching gkids splashing in pool. Temp was only 90 at this time.

Later

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey everybody. long time no see. hope everyones been well and caught lots of fish. went exploring the taylorsville lake wma salt river road access. lots of good eatin size channel cats bitin there today. tried some live bluegill around some fallen logs for a flathead no success. hope i can find some time to be around the forum more again. 🍻

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,060 Posts
Hunting and fishing is what I do for fun. Ive always said i dont want it to be my job.

Not much to report here in the shadow of currahee.
Fished saturday morning. Ran the circuit of spots that have been producing. Caught a channel at every spot and one small flat. Had intentions of going back in the evening. Big thunderstorm fixed that.
Went yesterday morning. First spot small blue. Second spot small blue. I was getting ready to leave when rod slams down. 17 lb. blue that did his best to tangle every line on boat. Tried a new spot with no success. Went to #1 spot. Spent almost 2 hours there with no luck. Getting ready to leave caught a bull channel. Head all swole up and dark.

I like to catch flatheads. Its hard to beat a good blue cat take down though.

20210606_083034.jpg

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
hadda scrambled agg ,onion,bellpepper tomato mixture with bacon and toast...
mike pulled a tick off my left hip with tweezers i couldn't get off...derik hit a deer
with tonya's jeep about 1am...messed the jeep up pretty good...doin' p.c.h.
SCATS...

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
A well known catman just posted elsewhere that he just got some new rods. Here is his statement >> "Just got the new Hellcats from (brand name not shown) and all I can say is wow! These things are sweet, can’t wait to break them in! "

I've had my share of rods, some I bought, some I inherited from a bud and some that sponsors gave me and I never said 'how sweet they are', really. To me, a rod is a rod, whether it's a lite/medium/heavy and designations in between. Most are being made from the same batch of blanks, with those hawking them taking care of the hardware and wrappings. It's not just this guy, but a ton of others that will say anything to get free or discounted fishing gear. Who would have ever thought that grown men would get giddy over fishing gear.

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,239 Posts
They say Utah is second driest state in the country. I would hate to be first. We are having lake after lake close down to boat launching. The ramps are losing enough water, or three the channels are down to a 1-2'. Where I launch a guy reported they still have 3.5-4.5' of water. I can drive to another place just have to pay to launch

·
Premium Member
24,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
We are currently getting a downpour, first one in five weeks. Dark outside and thunder galore. We will have a lot of runoff because the soil is so dry. But, hay, we will take it, IJS.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
justin???...how did you do on your lottery tickets???...welcome back by the way...
i just gotta megamillions because i could use the 56 million...beats a poke in the
eye...did business...went to beth's got 2-packs...and mike a bag of ice for his tea
on the curves my mug tipped over and pop went all over the passenger seat...
betty has been christened...gonna feed the deer in an hour...had the air on
since one p.m. SCATS...

801 - 820 of 884 Posts