Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

321 - 340 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,011 Posts
Spent yesterday evening packing for a camping trip. Gonna head a couple hours south and camp on the boat. Turkeys and catfish at the same time. Hopefully ill have some luck. Had to fill up the truck and the boat. $77 ouch

Started the concrete work on the new building at the plant. Its gonna be wide open for awhile. Going to work early gotta go!

·
Horse-MON
21,960 Posts
Yes Steve gas has gone up.

Mac dat gum it on top of all your other problems, you got no business out in the woods hunt'n the hog, you need to get a young buck or an exterminator to find the den and eliminate the problem once and for all!!

I don't move through the woods like I use to either.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,243 Posts
Went last Monday with the family. Had no trouble catching many 'gills for bait. Put out live and cut but no takers.
This time I had a thermometer in my tackle and the water surface temp was 60 degrees, air temp got up to 80.
Chatted with a local bass fisherman who suggested cats were spawning. I'm thinking 60 degree water is way too cold for that and likely too cold for them to be moving much and hunting for food. Any thoughts?

We been trapped behind high water for a couple days but it's passable now. Getting ready to head out to get some nucleus bees. Supposed to be a beautiful day!

·
Horse-MON
21,960 Posts
Went last Monday with the family. Had no trouble catching many 'gills for bait. Put out live and cut but no takers.
This time I had a thermometer in my tackle and the water surface temp was 60 degrees, air temp got up to 80.
Chatted with a local bass fisherman who suggested cats were spawning. I'm thinking 60 degree water is way too cold for that and likely too cold for them to be moving much and hunting for food. Any thoughts?

We been trapped behind high water for a couple days but it's passable now. Getting ready to head out to get some nucleus bees. Supposed to be a beautiful day!
I don't know anything about your rivers, here the places we caught them a month ago are gone, I mean gone, here they went up the river looking where they might spawn.

·
Old Squeezer
22,236 Posts
Speaking of bees, and Carrothead was, in the last 4 years I have been stung probably 5 times. The strain of bees that I have is very gentle and unless I mash one - no stings. However the yellowjackets have swarmed me several times while plowing. The pass that hit their nest was OK but they were waiting for me to come back around. Their plan werked* very well.

*katfishkenny

·
Horse-MON
21,960 Posts
Speaking of bees, and Carrothead was, in the last 4 years I have been stung probably 5 times. The strain of bees that I have is very gentle and unless I mash one - no stings. However the yellowjackets have swarmed me several times while plowing. The pass that hit their nest was OK but they were waiting for me to come back around. Their plan werked* very well.

make sure to read all the way down. I have been had mowing the yard a few times!!!!!!!! I always KILL them!!!!!!!
The Dangers Of A Yellow Jacket Ground Nest
https://www.wittpm.com › blog › post › the-dangers-of-a-...

*katfishkenny

·
Premium Member
23,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
"Chatted with a local bass fisherman who suggested cats were spawning. I'm thinking 60 degree water is way too cold for that and likely too cold for them to be moving much and hunting for food. Any thoughts?"

Neill, in my parts the Channels spawn when the water surface temp is a tad over 70, the Blue Catfish around 75 and the mighty Flathead close to 80. Water surface temp currently on Norman is 66 in the AM and 68 in the PM.

As for moving around and looking for food prior to the spawn, I can't disagree with dat.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,088 Posts
Think our snagging is to start in morn for spring. If I remember right you get permit for one that has to be so big. That is for above Ft. Randel.

Water temps close to 60. Looking for someone to help on wings. No luck yet. Planning on going this week. Hate trying to hold boat in current and dropping anchor then retrieving.

Later

·
Premium Member
23,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Maria, welcome to the Rambling Thread.

Meanwhile back on the dead end road along the shores of Lake Norman, it dry and we are under a Red Flag warning.

Current temp here is 55, high of 75 projected with an over nite low of 46. NE wind and cloudy to clear.

Come five (PM) I get to detached the Holter Monitor from my old frame. Betcha it hurts a tad when the tape holding the monitor is removed, IJS.

·
Premium Member
23,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Mac when I was in the hospital with P moanya they had a monitor stuck on my chest the whole time, it hurt the whole time, hurt went they took it off and several days after.
Thanks, I needed dat !!

321 - 340 of 534 Posts