Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any day I'm not at work is a good day to fish. A lot of fish don't like sudden changes in the barometric pressure. This seems to bother fish in lakes more than those in streams. In the end, it's the fish who know if they are going to bite that day. If you are organized enough (I'm not) try keeping a log showing the weather for a couple of days each side of when you went and how you did that day.

·
Registered
404 Posts
what does anybody think the best bait for fishing after it rains
You usually can't go wrong with fresh shad or earth worms. A good punch bait will also catch fish after a rain. I fished some recently flooded brush last year and decided to see what the fish I caught were eating. They were stuffed full of cockroaches. I've never tried fishing with them and luckily I can say I don't have a good source for them either.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
last year my son and i caught 46 channels in a hr after it stoped raining in a feeder creek mouth that dumped into the river
IT WAS FUN
the only reason we stopped was the fact i ran out of baite:wink:

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know when you go trotlining and it rains during the night, and makes the river rise(make sure your lines are tied plenty high) the bite is usually nothing less than amazing

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nightcrawlers after a rain would probably be the natural choice of bait for me.
But I think they would also be eating any kind of bugs or insects that got washed in the river. Sometimes those channels and bullheads stomachs are just bulging from all the junk they eat.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i have had great luck when the water rises for catfish. during the rain before the rise is about the same as no rain for me. as the water starts rising, the fish usually turn on great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fishing for all fish is usually good before and after the rain. I guess fish can sense when it's about to rain (pressure changes).

Well, during the rain all the constant noise of the rain hitting the surface messes a little with their sonar senses, lateral line etc. So tends to slow down a tad. Of course if the fish stumbles across a good meal even in the rain they'll probably take it and I have caught fish in the rain. Just not as many.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Fishing in the rain is best for me. it can get a little uncomfortable at times but has been proven to get flatheads rowled up day or night! Just dont get cheap with your raingear or you wont fish in the rain very long. I learned that lesson!
A good rainsuite that is breathable makes all the difference in the world if you plan on being out for a few hours.

GOOD FISHIN!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.