The Rain and the River ....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jun 4, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am sure that most aren't as fascinated by the weather, rainfall and the end results of rising water levels as I am. But in case you are here is a short tutorial.

The Licking River (in central Ohio) is the main water body flowing into Dillon Resivoir. The licking is feed by several small stream flowing from the west and northwest portions of Licking County. From the south and southwest the South Fork of the Licking flows into the Licking and it is feed also by several small streams, as well as the the overflow from Buckeye Lake.

I am also pretty attentive to local rainfall ( retired have nothing else to do):wink:. So I have put together a graph or chart showing the relationship of local rainfall to the rise of the Licking River. This in return will have an impact on Dillon and then the Muskingum River from Zanesville south. If you have any question will be happy to try and answer them ..... Garry- :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a feeling the Advanced Hyro. Prediction site, may be changing their predictions for the muskingum these upcoming days, from what I looked at this morning..:smile2: rollo

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep ... they are very slow reporting this morning for some reason on the Muskingum ..... they still have Dillon gates pretty well shut down so that helps a little .... Garry- :wink:

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Update on rise of Licking River .... at 8:00 AM it was at 7.2 ft and at 11:00AM it is 10.61 ft ... during that time we have only had .10 inch of rain .... it has risen almost 3.5 feet in 3 hours ..... Garry-

Attached Files:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    The latest update on the Licking .... It appears the Licking River has crested ... at least for now ... as it has come down an inch .... I will stop boring everyone now ... unless something drastic happens ...... :wink: Garry-

Attached Files:

6. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    The gates at Dillon have been open..When I came through there earlier this week they were at full bore...The Licking down by the falls was raging....

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    They really opened them today .... I guess they are trying keep a low pool ... Garry-:roll_eyes:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Will give at least one more update since it now appears the rain has ended .... the rain total in my rain gauge has reached 3.45 inches .... and the Licking at 3:00 PM was at 13.35 feet which is above the action stage but about 3.65 feet below flood stage .... I wouldn't try taking many of the back roads around Dillon ... they are probably under water ......... Garry-

Attached Files:

9. gavennn

gavennn New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would interested to know if you have tracked this information and then journalized your fishing results as they coincided with rising and falling water levels.

10. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Fishing from the bank high water is like heaven to me! a couple days after a few hard thunder storms or rain showers when the water is still really high but the river has slowed just a bit is prime time catfishing! i have big feeder creeks that feed the Ohio in my area and when they are just blasting i look for a bend in the creek and toss my line about 5 to 10 feet out in that little bit of slower moving water those area's seem to be a fish magnet!

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well garry,i would be hitting dillon where the licking is dumping in if i were you.heck,if i didn't have to work,i would be on deer creek where it dumps into the lake,some of the best fishing right there.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well Richard .... that sounds like a plan ... but not a very sound one right now ... Dillon went from 737 ft to 745.8 feet over night .... which means can't get close to where the fishing spots are ... and they are blowing about 8 feet of water out of through the gates ... Guess I will settle for mowing grass ... :wink::eek:oooh::embarassed: Garry-

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a great tool, Thanks for sharing