The Rabbit Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Katmandeux, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    "cause we need one.:smile2:

My buddy's grandson is 14 now, and has been hunting with us for about 3 years. I've tried, in vain, to get him to pick a spot he believes in, and then stay there and let the dogs do the work.

Today he was helping me clean a rabbit I'd just shot, and said, "I told Pawpaw you'd come out of nowhere and kill this rabbit, just like always".

I'd been leaning against the same tree for 15 minutes when that rabbit came by.:big_smile: Staying put may just be too much to ask of a teenager.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i wanna go rabbit huntin so bad but all the places my dad used to go to when he was younger have all been loged or turned into subdivisions. we both ask around all the time but no luck. id love to get into it if i could find someplace to go.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jayson, let me suggest a different approach...instead of looking for a place to hunt, see if you can find someone who has dogs (beagles), and hunts rabbits. You'll have to get out of the bigger towns...look for the places too small to have fast food franchises, and ask around, starting at the feed store.

It won't be easy, but if you're persistant, you'll hit paydirt. If you come across as a decent kid who really wants to learn, and who is unlikely to shoot man or dog, you should be able to get an invitation. Once in, you'll meet other rabbit hunters...seems like someone is always looking for someone to hunt with them around here.

A word of caution: if someone is kind enough to take you out, remember that his spots are just that. Be respectful of that, and you'll do fine.

4. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Sounds like great advice, Katmandeux. I used to hunt rabbits a LOT as a kid. That was up north. Here in Texas, a good place to hunt is much harder to come by. I may try your advice myself. I am going to try the National Forest next year. Lots of coyotes there, though. I haven't seen a rabbit there in all the years I have been hunting there, but I mostly stay to the woods, for hog, deer, squirrels and turkey.
    CatfishHateMe, what are the public hunting opportunities like in your state? I know if I lived there, and were your age, I would be looking into getting a few redbones or blueticks, and going coon hunting.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont use dogs at all i just go out in the country and mosey around old abandoned farms theres lots of bunnies

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i dont know about yall, but almost always when im watching a feeder thats been feeding for quite a while, i always seem to see a rabbit, hog, etc. feeding on the deer corn.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    We hunted swamp rabbits yesterday, and got 6...shot 5, and noodled one.:lol:

The dogs treed one in a hollow snag. We were able to push the snag over, but the rabbit stayed in the trunk, so I cut a sapling and started poking around in there. Suddenly, here come da wabbit! My buddy was on his knees, and the rabbit ran right into his lap, before discovering his mistake, and trying to get some gone.

I will never forget the sight of Butch juggling that rabbit, looking for a handle, while surrounded by half a dozen beagles who wanted a piece of the action, too.

Laughed 'till I cried!:lol:

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I used to go to with my grandpa to his uncle's place outside of Idabel to hunt swamp rabbits. I remember him pulling a rabbit out of a holloe tree. He yanked it out by its leg and batted up against the side of the tree.
    As it was flying through the air it started screaming like crazy. I was about six years old and this was my first time to hunt. I ran and tried to save the rabbit from my papaw. Him and his uncle Hilo laughed the rest of the evening about that.

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    My dad used to raise beagles and took me on my first rabbit hunting trip. (I was 6-7 at the time) I remember him telling me to listen to the dogs and they would chase the rabbits back to us. Well it wasn't very long and my favorite dog was on a rabbit. My dad moved me to a little clearing and the dog was on the way in. Dad told me to lead the rabbit a lil bit and then take the shot. Well the dog got to coming in and all of a sudden the rabbit was about 10 foot in front of us with the beagle right on his tail. I put the gun on the rabbit and was swinging with them and pulled the trigger. After a second or two I watched the rabbit run off and looked down by our feet and there laid my favorite beagle. Well, needless to say that was the end of my first rabbit hunting trip.

Mom made it all better with some homemade cookies. It was the next season before I went on my second rabbit hunt, but the love of hunting was in my genes. Although I don't have beagles to hunt with I do love spending time in the woods and on the water, spending time with my kids, and remembering the times I had with my dad.

If you get a chance, take your kids in the outdoors. They may just cherish the moment for the rest of their lives.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Katman thats not bad advice even for deer hunting. Old age had to sneek up on me befor I really got good at being patient.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I all :big_smile: ways loved to hunt them rabbits

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hunt the edges of wheatfields along the fencelines and do pretty good on cottontails. i also spotlight the alfalfa fields at night for them. any way you cut it rabbit hunting is just awesome.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just decided a couple days ago that me and the boy are gonna try out luck with raising rabbits. i love squirrel hunting and dove and what not but the idea of having rabbit available whenever i want it just sounds like a great idea. i live rabbit, squirrel, quail and such. there is a sale tomorrow where ya can get turkeys, pheasents, quail, rabbits and just about everything from apples to yams.

were gonna start with two males and two females. the plan as of now is when the # hits 25-30 well start cleaning. i told my son well tag the 4 and they can be his pets of sort but we had a lil talk that the rest we eat. like piggies and cows,lol. im already for rabbit. hope the breed like rabbits,lol.:confused2:

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Get 3 females and 1 male.Better yet get the 3 already bred with a unrelated male.
    He can handle all 3 just fine.
    If you haven't bred rabbits before I'd suggest getting a book on rabbit raising.
    You can raise fishworms under the rabbit cages.
    best of luck
    just

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya, got em. got one buck and 2 does. best thing is it turned a 180 from the origional plans. we went to a community sale to get a couple today. they had all been auctioned off before we got there. the boy was sad.

the deal i made him was that the 4 breedes 2 male and 2 female would be his pets so to speek. they can grow old and die. the rest are either lunch or new breeders.

well on the way home my wife said deb (her moms friend) breeds them. shed forgotten. we called her, shes getting readyto move out of state. she gave me a lil info on them. she said no,no,no, one buck is pleanty to get going. she had about 20 or so. she has been raising them 30 years.

she sold me a white and black buck (bottom) and 2 does (black on top) for $15 and gave me the smaller cage too. at a sale who knows what ya are getting. these are guarenteed breeders from someone whom knows ser stuff. even all had name tags on cages. so she said call if i have any Q's but thats what i told my wife. ill be looking for a book to help.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pic didnt load. ill try again

17. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Cool my kids want some rabbits we have been thinking of getting a couple this spring.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    katmandeux i have 2 bluetick beagles that i run rabbits and deer with.i love hunting but everything i hunt i use a dog.i also have some black and tans i use for coon.i have 1 cur squriel dog and 3 fiest im just starting.good hunting and good luck in the coming years.johnnie

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I had a friend that raised rabbits in raised hutches. Every so often, he'd move the hutches over, and run a tiller through the old spot...not sure how safe that is, but he grew some bodacious veggies.:lol:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well the lady i got em from said to put the doo doo in the garden. and shes been raising them 30 years she said. sounds good to me. probably safer than the pesticides we eat on most veggies.:crazy: