The pursuit of "Catfish Hunter"

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Sep 1, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    :angry::angry:If you've ever seen the movie "Grumpier Old Men" you know what I'm talking about:smile2:.

The proprietor of my local bait shop has told me many storys about the this huge flathead that he has never been able to land (I think every bait shop owner has a story like that:wink::smile2:!). He lives in a hole below the spillway of a small lake in our area and has been hooked many times, but never landed. I never thought much of it till last night.

I was down at that hole catching bait last night and had one of my cat poles in the trunk and thought "what the heck, I give it a try". So I throw out a big piece of cut bluegill under a cat bobber to see what happens. About 30 minutes goes by, I'm unhooking a bluegill I just caught with my ultra light and look over to check my cat bobber and it's GONE. I reeling in the slack, set the hook and its ON!!! He immediately gave 4 or 5 huge pulls on the drag, I knew right away that this was the biggest fish I have ever hooked up with. There aren't any snags in the area so I decide to just let him get good and worn out before I go for the finish. We go back and forth for about 15-20 minutes. I can tell he is starting to lose steam, so I start bulldog'n him in. I start to see the glow stick on my bobber surface about 20 feet from shore, then BANG, my whole rig comes flying out of the water at me:crazy::crazy:. He threw the hook:angry:.

So I rebait, and get back out there. About and hour goes by, and my cat bobber does a nice slow dive and is gone. Set the hook and it's on again. I'm about 20 seconds into this fight and SNAP, leader breaks:crazy::angry::crazy::angry:!!!! I was so excited after the first hookup I forgot to check the condition of it before I threw it out and the clinch knot to my swivle failed.

By this time it's getting late, and I have to work the next day, so I head home. I could barely sleep last night, couldn't stop thinking about this fish. I know where he lives, I know what he eats, I have to catch him.

I'll be keeping you guys updated on the pursuit of this monster, this spot isn't more than 15 minutes from my house, so I will be there almost everday until I get him. Wish me luck.

2. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck man! It's always a blast to be on a mission for that specific monster. You'll get him, and when you do, I wanna see him!

3. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I'm almost glad I didn't get him last night cause I didn't have my camera with me:smile2:.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hope you catch that beast. Great story. Those kat bobbers are somethun arnt they?

5. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I know how you feel man.Had that happen a couple of weeks ago.Fought it for about a minute and then my leader snapped.I was sooooo pissed off.Also had my drag set to tight.Tried looseing it but it was to late.I know it would have been a new PB.Oh well, at least we learned from our mistakes.You'll get that sucker before the year over.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All I can say is Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles don't come flying back at you. They stay hooked up! Also, use fluorocarbon for your leader material and you won't have a failure in that area. Good luck, and I am very anxious to hear your future results!

Bill in SC

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    went back everyday for a week lookin to get the one that bent my 12 ft. meat hunter in half. it was a good fight until it got me snagged up and i had to break it off. good luck brother !!

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Holy crap I love that movie!!! :tounge_out:

What bait shop do you go too? I live in desoto and go to clinton or hillsdale most of the time... where are the bait shops at around town you like to go too??

9. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Minnisota Bait & Tackle in KCK has everything you need.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Garen persistence and patients pays off. Gear your tackle to the dream fish and you will be posting the PB pics before long.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Head on back and give him hell Garen!:cool2:

12. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    thats a heck of a fishing story,good luck on catching that rascal.and thanks for sharing that story

13. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Garen! Man you got my heart beating, I could almost feel it when you set the hook! Good post thanks you! and good luck catching that monster and do keep us informed!

14. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i hope you get him and hope to see a pic really soon.good luck

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man I feel your pain, get that fish!

I have a fish in the Ohio that I am after. I fished this same spot time and time again. Three times I think I hooked in to this flathead. Three times I have had broken lines or leaders. I will get him one of these days.

16. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    get em yet?

17. KAW RIVER KILLER

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Didn't go last night, had to work until 9 last night and be back in at 8 this morning. But I am taking another go at him tonight:wink:.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Three times I have had broken lines or leaders. I will get him one of these days.>

I used to have 'em break my lines quite often until I learned through BOC members about 80 or 100# Power Pro and 60# fluorocarbon leaders. A fish actually breaking my line is a thing of the PAST now!

Bill n SC

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used braid in the past then decided to switch back to mono. I just put braid on a new reel I got and I'm really starting to like it again. I think I might be switching back to braid with heavy mono leaders.

20. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Cut off any nicks in your line and retie so you know you have no weak spots. Check your drag so it is not to tight. Then head back and get the big guy! Good luck I hope you land him. Make sure you have your camera we want lots of pics of that pig!:wink: