The Price of Dog Food

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have 6 dogs and pay 10 bucks for a 40lb bag of dry dog food.
    occasionally there is a local grocer that runs a sale on chicken quarters (thigh and leg) for 19 cents a lb in 10lb bags. that is cheaper than dry dog food. i used to boil up ten lbs for my dogs once a week or so, til i got remarried and my wife about had a conniption when she saw me giving good chicken to the dogs. i have two freezers in my barn and they stay about 1/3 full most of the time.

the sale is on now, and i will buy about 270lbs before i am done (no limit).
    this stuff is great for chicken and dumplings, fried or grilled, and as a dog food supplement.

does any of you see a reason the dogs shouldn't eat well if it is that cheap? it isn't like i am taking them to red lobster:p

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    As long as you don't give them the bones, and don't overly season the chicken, there should be no problem giving your dogs boiled chicken.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

If Red Lobster was cheaper than 19 cents a pound, I would say take them there!

When you feed them the chicken, are you deboning it?

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey, I think the same as you. I am a bargain shopper and always look for the deals. I have bought just about everything I own at a deal, including my house. It has paid off for me to think this way

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

nope...i am 50 years old and have fed dogs chicken bones all my life - never seen one choke on a bone yet. as far as i am concerned, that is an old wives tale. the only precaution i take is removing the little sharp bone on the leg.

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

The reason I asked was when I was a kid, my Siberian Husky had his stomach lining punched through (required surgery). The vet told me it was a chicken bone, and told me to never feed him birds from fowls, as they were hollow and could cause serious damage as this one did.

I’m sure it is rare, but it can happen.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i believe you, Jim, and i don't doubt the ocurrence of such things.
    but, when the number of times a dog eats a bone is factored against the number of times a dog has a problem with, it becomes an insignificant factor - more likely for a dog to be run over by a car.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, if you're going to boil up chicken to feed your dogs, you might as well buy some canned biscuits and make chicken and dumplings. I can get canned biscuits 10 for $1 at our local discount store specializing in buyouts, damaged, and outdated items.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The only problem I have with feeding my dogs meals like that is getting them to sit at the table and forget using silver ware, however they do enjoy their silver gobblets.

10. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Right you are there, my next dog got hit by a car 3 times (he would play chicken with them in front of my house, centered on the road :confused: )

And as far as them choking on the bones, I've never seen a big dog take long enough to choke, but rather inhale any piece of fresh chicken.

11. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Any bone has the potential to hurt your dog's stomach or intestinal tract.

If you want to be 100% safe, you should never give your dog any bone, not even a steak bone.

12. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
  13. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i have 15 rottweilers and 8 pitbulls and i feed them chicken from time to time as a treat and i do debone it . I buy my dog food by the pallet so its a lot cheaper though i drive about 3 hrs away to get it but its worth it I can get 40-55lb bags for 120 bucks. but it is a good Idea feed them after the old lady has her head turned LOL!!!!!!

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I used to go to Krogers and get free meat from the butcher for my dogs. Old outdaed steaks and trimmings and bones. Any supermarket that cuts their own meat should be willing to part with some scraps for a dog.

15. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have fed dogs just about every thang you can thank of. I only seen one problem. Let me tell yall about it. I was a young whipper snapper and me and my dog,Nero, was out in the backyard just takin it easy. I was whiddlin a hoodoo stick and Nero was nawin on a 2 inch section of a goodsized ham bone. Well, I looked up from my stick and noticed Nero sorta gaggin and I hollered over to him. He just kinda looked at me and gagged some more then fell over. I was scared senseless and I run in the house to fetch My Deddy. He came a runnin, grabbed up Nero, dug down in his throat and dragged out that ham bone. Nero jumped up and ran around and around for a second then went and loved all over my Deddy. Needless to say Nero never got close to another bone. But that is the only time I ever seen a bone hurt a dog. I dont know if that helps the situation or not.

16. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey Phil, it is nice to see someone that treats their dog like I do but I have always learned that fish bones, pork bones and chicken bones were potentially harmful to dogs because of the slivers that they turn to when chewed, the slivers get caught in the digestinal tract and cause internal bleeding but I have givin my own German Shepards (I have 2 of them) pork bones and chicken bones as long as it has meat on it. My Vet says there is nothing wrong with that but don't give it to the small dogs.
    My dogs will eat just about anything. Nothing wrong with feeding them on a cheaper budget. I'll have to agree with you brother about how you feed them.

AL

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yep, Al, no fish bones for my dogs. the only animals in this neighborhood that can eat fish bones are cats...and there are fewer and fewer cats around here everyday:blink:

as a matter of fact, cat is my dogs favorite taste:D

one got in my yard last night (my yard is surrounded by 500 feet of 6' chainlink) and he didn't last long either.
    :eek:
    whoever says cats are smart are sadly mistaken - if a cat is all that smart, he would stay the heck away from me and my dogs;)

over the last couple of years there have been 6 cats make the mistake of coming over the fence..........

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a yellow lab that loves to crunch bones, so I'm careful not to give her hollow leg or wing bones that break into slivers. Some of the other, non-hollow chicken bones are safe. By the way, I cooked up a 10# bag of those leg quarters...for us, not the dog. Here's the recipe:

Use a cajun injector and inject liberal quantities of your favorite hot sauce
    Rub some hot sauce over the outside of the leg quarters
    Sprinkle moderately heavy with TSS Blackened (I used the salt-free version)
    Deep fry at 280-300 degrees for 30-35 minutes, making sure it's completely done. (The leg bones of mine would pull out if I wasn't careful picking the pieces out of the cooker basket.)

This will make you throw rocks at Popeyes.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I love the dark meat on a chicken.Those 10 lb.bags of leg quarters are right up my ally.Mrs.Wanda cooks them about a dozen different ways for me. The dogs and my Moluccan Cockatoo get the leftovers.That bird loves meat as much as the hawks and owls I used to raise.Time he smells it cooking,he goes to fussing for a piece.They all get their chicken,just like I normally do.Bones and all.I better not catch them sitting up at the table though.Ever pet Squirrel that I ever had,would kill for a piece of fried chicken.Phil,sounds like smart dogs to me.Only a dumb dog would turn down good cooked chicken.I gave a fellow a Rat Terrier puppy for his little girls.It learned that if it caught and took a Squirrel to the local Fried Chicken franchise,they would trade him a piece of fried chicken for the squirrel.The Squirrel would go into the trash and the dog would go looking for more Squirrels.Squirrels got pretty scarce around that part of Savannah.If he could not find a Squirrel,he would just show up at 11:30 am.He had regulars that would buy and feed him chicken all during their lunch times.He learned to hide his stash of x-tra chicken at home in his water bowl to keep the Fire Ants off.He was traffic wise as he never got run over.peewee-williams

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    No bones for my dogs. My wifes poodle loves bbqed chicken well anything bbqed lol but his real love is hotdogs and the darker you cook the hotdog the happier he is.