The price of a hook

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, May 1, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Well i got my order in today form my local tackle shop, kinda bummed because the pack of circles hooks were back order, I also got my prop back form the prop shop, i hit a log a few weeks back (oops) on the way back from the tackle shop i was thinking about the price of a hook, Ok i use a expensive brand, I buy bulk packs making them a little cheaper in the long run, but if you buy the off the shelf packs of 6 for around 3.50 per pack the cost of a hook is around 58 cents each, its worth the price for me, but then i got to think how much does this hook cost to make package ect, the company who makes the hooks makes them by the millions, and sells that way too, what is the real cost of the hook maybe a penny or two, We see tons of hookd styles and brands, all do the same job, some better than others but in the long run do the same job, I went to the brand is use web site and long and behold they have a online store and the hooks i need they have in stock, and for a about 5 bucks cheaper than the tackle shop. They also carry a larger size hook i was wanting to get but no supplies carry them, even with the cheaper price the cost of a hook still runs me around 30 cents each buying them in bulk. so what is the real price of a hook in fact what is the real price of all the stuff we buy for this loved sport of catfishing, I know the cost will never out weigh the reward of what i get when i see a young man or woman bring in there first cat or the look and smile of person on my boat who gets there first personal best, or the feeling when i see all the work and research comes together and the day is one for the books, all for the price of a hook.

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Great post! I agree.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think I kicked out some prices to the Catfish Syndicate on a National Hook company (PPH) Price Per Hook.

With hook machine time over-seas (Actual Expensive Part), packaging, transportation, storage, and deployment it ran around .22 - .35 cents for a particular hook to the actual company. Rush orders are more.

From there, price go's up to the distributors, etc.

Off brand hooks that are normally not stocked, "Large Sizes", a vendor had to place an order of $25,000 to get them, such as Uncle Pete will probably end up doing.

4. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Another amazing deal was the Catfish Fishing Rod deal kicked out to the Catfish Syndicate.

Some of those rods were going for $17 with cork handles?

And profit was still being made :crazy:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a nice rod out of that deal, thanks Paul :smile2:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeff,things are allways cheaper when the middleman is cut off,Thats why internet shopping works so well.:wink:

7. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    The internet is the new middle man in most cases.

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also MOST of the time you don't have to pay sales tax.Thats the part I really like.

9. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    OK I give, what's the Catfish Syndicate?