The popularity of Catfishing does it help the sport?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Dec 27, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way back when I started catfishing it was rare to see another catfisherman, or woman..Now catfishing is the in thing to do. It seems like everybody fishes for catfish..Back when Bass fishing became popular bass fisherman made sure there sport would be around for awhile. They got state dnr's to set size and creel limits on bass to make sure a fishable population of bass would be sustained.So I ask you is catfishing safe for the future? Will there be enough catfish to go around to satisfy eveyones needs?..Ohio just put in place a limit on Flathead catfish, this is a start. Conservation I think is the key to make sure we can enjoy this sport for decades.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jack I would think it should be OK everytime I go out they are still hitting on the Bass/Croupie(sp). Ive pretty much fished Buckey/Alum tho

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I don't know about other places,but here I can catch just as many today as I did 20+ years ago. So I think they are safe from over fishing in this area,but each place is different.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've kicked the very same question around several times. I guess its up to bums like us to insure it stays healthy.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know all states and even lakes and rivers are different...The areas I fish are showing a decline in the numbers of catfish caught..Now this may not be just by overfishing, polution and other factors could weigh in on this..I fish smaller rivers and I think they can be hurt more by overfishing than large lakes and big rivers.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with that post, everywhere is different. Big Water seems to be safer for cats, while small rivers, and such, can esily be damaged by overfishing.
    I think the biggest problem at least around here is that not too long ago there was alot of commercial fisherman that were allowed to keep everything they caught! And now they still let commercial fisherman keep alot of catfish and stuff around these areas....I'm personally very agaisnt that :thumbdown
    Because for one thing these commercial fisherman are not using poles they are using Big nets that cover the whole river, this is not fair at all.
    I think all net Commercial fisherman should be banned. And I think there should be certain limits for catfish too. We have to take care of what we have today, or it might not be here tommorow!

Take it easy, Zakk :)

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think a lot has to do with your state conservation dept. How well of a job they are doing to protect, promote, stock and maintain a healthy population. I know when I was growing up we fished the missouri river and back then it was common for the commerical fishermen to have sets all over the river. I grew up with a lot of these guys whos familys had been doing this for generations, thats how they made there living. Now days it seems to me that we have better regulations and limits and the catfish is classified as a game fish. I know some states have yet to wake up to this, some still allow several methods to harvest them that are questionable. Missouri does a very good job and I look for a lot of states to follow suit.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Quote by Spoonfish,
    Now days it seems to me that we have better regulations and limits and the catfish is classified as a game fish. I know some states have yet to wake up to this, some still allow several methods to harvest them that are questionable. Missouri does a very good job and I look for a lot of states to follow suit.

I wish KY would hurry up and get on that bandwagon also!!! What we need is someone lobbying for us catfishermen like the bass fishermen have. Maybe then they will take heed!!!

I am with Zakk on this one Comercial fishing for catfish should be limited if not banned.

Also with the popularity of the sport growing, this might help curb some of the commercial pressure!

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I believe that the DNR's are keeping an eye on the fish populations. As more and more people become interested in catfishing, then DNR's will start placing stricter limits on catfishing.

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    money.

as the powers that be realize there is money to be made from it the wheels will begin to turn. at least in my area its increasing popularity is evident simply in the fact that local stores carry a larger selection of catfishing supplies. wallymart wouldnt give stinkbait the shelfspace if the product didnt move.

ive turned a few onto our sport and am always an ambassador for the cause. usually all it takes is them catching a fifteen pound fish on ten cents worth of bait. IMO thats a lot better than a two pound bass on an eight dollar plug.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jackie,

I'm sure the polution our two favorite rivers (Scioto & Great Miami) sees dumped into them, it sure cant help things. I think they are the #1 & #2 most polluted rivers (other than the Ohio) in the state arent they?

Another problem is that you have is youve been fishing w/ me the last 3 + years. As most educated catfishermen know, cats are scared of me and my great catfish catching ability. In fact, they know when I am around & usually go the opposite way. My friend that is why your fishing is down. There scared of DA MELLON!

12. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Around here there are still plenty of catfish but from what i have heard the size is starting to decrease i support catch and release for most catfish. Personally i think there needs to be a slot limit like on Red Drum in the south. Keep so many in the size limit but only one over the max size limit.

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I think regulations need to implaced down here in NC. Right now the cat population is doing great but that can change real fast. I think all limb lines and juglines should be outlawed period. It depends on the lake as to the rules for each, for some of the lake are better then others and need different restrictions. I don't mind selective harvest, it keeps the population down from getting too many same ones. Catfish need to be named a game fish then something might get done as to the regulations.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I am with you all the way on that post my fellow NC brother.... :0a27: :0a24:

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I got a sneaky feelin this thread is gonna get ugly. LOL!

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me also George, I did not attend it to be that way...I dont agree with alot of methods to harvest catfish, but I learned along time ago to keep my mouth shut :D

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
  18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All the rules and regulations in the world aren't worth a dam unless they are enforced and followed by responsable fishermen.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, that is Very True. :)

20. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    theres a good and a bad answer to this question. It is good that the joy of catfishing is reaching. People dont know fishing until they hook into a 10, 20, 30 pound flathead or blue. But at the same time this is bad. Because people will begin to overfish areas and keep the fish. I think channel cats are in the most danger in this situation. Because other than bullhead in my mind they are the easiest cat to catch, they will hit shrim, hamburger, nightcrawlers and many others. ANd you are right Jack it seems the big cats are safer in the big rivers and believe it will stay that way because of people keeping fish they catch and its not always for eating. For ex. i was fishing a spot about a half hour from here. I watched a guy next to me pull in a 15 pound flathead, a very nice fish for this area. He put it on a stringer and tossed it in the water, after i had landed a couple around the 10 to 15 pound range. I heard his drag go screaming. a couple minutes later i was looking at a 21 pound flathead, he was so happy that he started packing up his stuff, while the flathead was still on the ground. I asked him arent you going to put the fish back. He said no because he wanted to take the 2 fish home to show his kids and wife then throw them away. Its a waste of 2 beautiful fish. And the same night there were people fishing about 50 yards from me up river i could here them laughing and talking about the fish they were catching. In the morning after they left i walked up there and they had tossed 3 nice channels ranging probaly arond 3 to 5 pounds on the rocks and left them to die. So to answer your question...Yes and No