the point in the burgh

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by moose22dog, Feb 23, 2009.

1. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey guys this is for us yinzer, has anyone fish by the point in town, on any have the 3 rivers. and if so from a boat or from the shore, just wondering if it would be a good spot since it's were 2 major rivers meet. any info would be help for. thanks justin

2. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    caught a ton of channels under the west end bridge and infront of pnc park when me and my buddies would fish in high school never any sign of flats except for 1 under the bridge but we would only fish late night with chipped ham and hot dogs,,

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    In the past, I had made a few occasional trips to the tailraces of the major navigation locks.
    I would think that would be a smart place to start in the spring in the lower alleghany river system. Does anyone here play that strategy?? I've fished the tailrace of highland park lock and the next lock up (spring dale)...Access seemed reasonable. but are there cats there?

someone told me a long time back that the the impounded water of the navigational locks were better than the tailraces.

but I would guess that that's not true during the spring PRespawn run.

Any hints from the experts:smile2:?

as for moose's question, I'm all questions in this neck of the woods and have never even tried the point... It looks live very big from the freeway--perhaps the fish are all spread out and hard to target from the shore???

Maybe someday, I'll come down from my Kinzua hideout and try the big waters near the burgh.:cool2:

4. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    joile hit me up if u ever head south, im always looking for someone to fish with. so kat u never got in to flats down there, they have to be there but like joile said might be tough form shore. well not to long im going to find out my self. i think by the bettis grill would be were i start cause its 5 min away and easy to get to. i also want to try right on the point just going to be pain in the ass to park. i was talking to kat on diff site about finding bait does anyone know of a pond by the west end area for gills. just thought i would throw it out there?

5. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Never fished up the river as far as the point but have fished below the next 2 dams down the river, great in the spring an summer, have caught some really nice flat heads there, i fish from my boat never tried off sure.
    good luck guys, it will soon be time to drag out the fishing gear an start cleaning up the boat, an restocking some big flat head bait...............early season trout make fine flat head bait. good luck all hope we all have a better season than we had last year

6. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    yinz don't wanna fish there nothing but whitefish!!

7. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    what the hell is a white fish, i think this guy is drunk,lol

8. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    you wouldn't understand

9. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I imagine hes talking about white bass

10. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    hes talking about condoms floating in the river!!! 8)))))))>

11. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    ya, thanks kat i know vinestbrew is a buddy of mine he was jost jagging me. ...justin

12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    does anyone know the depth right at the point. or if there is a deep hole or anything that might help? ...justin:confused2:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve spent a fair amount of time fishing on the north shore side.I,ve had pretty good luck there around the pillars from the fort duquesne bridge and for about 30 yards downstream.Where they blasted out around the pillars when they put them in,is one of the deepest spots around the whole pool.Only bad things there are parking if anythings going on and you need eyes in the back of your head with all the homeless hanging out around there.

14. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    welcome to the club pat, thanks for the info i will check it out. you said to watch my back did anything happen to you down there. have you ever gone out on to the point? and one more thing how deep is that hole you mention, thanks again and welcome....justin:cool2:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

to bridge.moosedog22.reason i said to watch when fishing there is because if you turn around to take a whiz & you dont have someone with you watching i lost my cooler in about 30 seconds.using my rod mounted depth finder,i get readings about 35 to 43 ft'.i do best by keeping a couple rods in the deep holes and a couple poles out where it starts to come up to 8_12 ft about 20 yds down stream.i do better in the deep hole early from about 6 to 8 pm. When they start coming out &roming i usually do better up or downstream when they start moving for the nite.I usually always use gills or big creek chubs.Best way i,ve found to get along with the crew down there is offer them a smoke when they,re bumming 1.Good spots on the point itself are the 1st 50 yds along the wall either side of the main point.Another good spot is on the other side of the river[point side.theres another deep hole by the 1st pillar out under the fort duquesne.its about 25 to 30 ft over there.I grew up on the northside ,been fishing that area for 40 years now.Mainly flats with a few channels.:cool2:

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

:0a26:most of the area around the walkay that goes around the point itself is about 8 to 12 ft.I,m in my 50,s now and have a lot of physical problems. Looking for some serious up and comers to pass 40 years of cat & carp knowhow onto the next generation. I aint done yet though! I still got a few good fights left in me!

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

most of the area around the walkay that goes around the point itself is about 8 to 12 ft.hope this helps.

18. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    wow thanks pat ur full of info, i took a drive down there today looks like it would be easy to get to. didn't do any fishing just scoped it out. one of my goals this year is to fish new spots, there's so many so i'm starting close to home and move outward..lol. i can't wit for the damn water to warm up, guess ill have to just keep catching bait till it does. was going to go out tonight but didn't cause of the wind. i like to go down to glenfield but it gets crowded alot. thats were i caught the flat in the pic. i will keep an eye out for your van don't think ill miss it..lol....justin:cool2:

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

IN REPLY TO MOOSE22DOG.I used to fish down glenfield a lot myself.I always found it ti be a halfway decent spot at night.I liked it a lot better before they put in the launch area and parking lot.You might have had to straddle the ruts on that old dirt road going back there but at least you only had to share the spot with 2 or 3 other guys at the most,plus you could back your truck right down to the river.I still get down there occasionly.

20. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey pat, is there alot of snags in this hole. i read somthing you wrote before about fishing alot of place's with lots of snags. was wondering if this was one.also how but the other area's down by the point. thanks justin