The perfect fishing rod or fishing pole.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by peewee williams, Jan 24, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe that there is NO PERFECT ROD OR POLE.I believe that the BEST is what YOU like,for the way YOU FISH.THis is why I used so many over the years.What do the rest of you think?peewee-williams

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The perfect rod and pole is the one that works the best for you. My best pole so far is my mitchell h20 open face spinning combo. Casts great, the rod is stiff but not to stiff which has worked great for me, and of course I caught my biggest cat yet with it a 32 lb blue. But I have not been able to break in my new set up a tidewater reel spooled with 20lb berkley big game and a 7ft 5 inch ugly stick catfishing edition pole, the setup seems like its gonna be my favorite, well balanced to.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    No Kidding! Thats why I always have an excuse to buy another one! There is always one that is perfect for just that use, that you had'nt quite filled before!
    My name is Phil and I am a fishing addict!

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    There is no one perfect rod,it's all in what you like. Everyone likes something different when it comes to fishing gear.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Oh yes Virginia there IS a perfect rod.The problem is none of us has found it yet.Which is not a problem because we can go on looking for it and buying new ones and have the fun of thinking this is "It" until we try it and its not quite "IT" but the next one will be.The entire fishing rod industry is based on the idea of the perfect rod.Some one once said "One of the worst things in life is not to reach your goals and have your dreams fulfilled, however the worst thing of all is to reach and fulfill them" which means the "Perfect" rod must always be out there shimmering in the distance,but not quite reachable.Besides if you found the perfect rod you wouldn't fish with it because you wouldn't want to break it or lose it or even worse shorten it in a car door. What good would the perfect rod be without the perfect reel?

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Well mine would have to be my "gator custom" rod.
    Not only is it a sight to behold, its just plain great.
    One day I hope to get some cat who thinks they're big enough to break it. Not a chance!

7. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I believe that like with any tool there is no one perfect rod for every situation. Currently I have different rods for ponds, lakes, and rivers and still don't have a single one that is perfect, but I think I'm getting pretty close with the Quantum BigCats for rivers. Sometimes I think I don't want to find my perfect rod because I have just as much fun buying new ones as I do catching fish.

Hello, my name is Dave and I too am addicted to fishing and fishing tackle.

Dave

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, let's see now. The perfect rod has to fold up small enough to put it in your shirt pocket, but extend to 15' or so for maximum casting distance. It needs to be limber enough that a 4" bluegill will put a big bend in it, but stiff enough to handle casting a 5# bait with a 2# cannonball. It needs to glow in the dark, and give off some kind of signal when a fish bites. And last of all, it should cost no more than $10. I tried Google, and I tried ebay, but I just can't find one of these rods. But, I did find half a dozen or so different rods in the new Catfish Connection catalog that I'd like to buy.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Keith,how I envy you.To own the "Holy Grail" of fishing rods.I dream of one day owning one.I would have to sleep with it(for real).This is the kind of dream that makes you want to be around tomorrow.They are beautiful.I would be scared that I would scratch it.If I had the gift to make things like that,I most likely would swell up and bust wide open,cause I would be so proud.The man has the gift.peewee-williams

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    First off is they say it is best to admit when you have a problem. Admiting the problem alow the healing to start.

Hi my name is Tim and I have a fishing addiction.

Now for the rest of it. I feel there are perfect rods and reels for fishing. Each type of fishing requries a different set up. Whatt works for fishing the Miss river for blues dont work well for bluegills at your pond. What works good for eater size channels dont work well for flatheads in brush piles on a river bank.

So the goal is to have at least one for each different type of fishing. To compromise and try finding a rod that would multi task would make me stop looking for new rods and reels. My trips to CC would have to stop. We all know that CC is the way to win the battle with our type of addiction. There is a benifit to living only 12 miles from catfish connection. My truck knows the way. So when I am have reallly bad with drawl symptoms all I have to do is point and my truck does the rest. HeHeHe

11. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I would have to say my favorite rod is a St.Croix 8'. It's made for muskies for works great for big cats. I really like the long handles St.Croix rods have. Alot rods on the market don't have that.

12. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    LMAO bearcat, I know the feeling I live about 7 miles from a decent tackle shop that caters a lot to catfisherpeople but its a mixed blessing. Its to the point now that they have a running tab for me that I pay at the end of the month. So I've got really bad also.

Dave

13. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    The perfect Rod/pole is entirely dependent on you, what you are fishing for, and where you are fishign for at. For instance, my ugly stick ultra light with 4lb test is perfect for trout and panfish, but I wouldn't want to use it on Flatheads or Blues in running water. The perfect pole all depends on the situation.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    The perfect rod or reel either one, has to be the one I don't have as of yet. I'll keep trying out new ones ever chance I get though and who knows maybe I will live long enough to find it someday.....lol..... or not.

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    my favourite reel is the shimano long cast big baitrunner, it has a large fixed spool capacity with excellent line lay the front drag and back freeline bait runner are excellent at coping with fast running fish, the anti reverse is my prefered option when playing fish with a fixed spool reel and they are robust enough to handle 150lb+ catfish due to its strong bail arm and spiggot.

16. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Hi, my name is Frank and I am addicted to fishing and buying fishing tackle! That's why so many "name brand stores" to include Catfish Connection know me by name, address, credit card number, and both phone numbers.:eek:

The perfect rod/reel combo is the one I am dreaming about at the time and desire! Fishing setups are like Lays potato chips-you can't have just one!
    Frank

17. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    I need your opinions on the the best all-around length and action cat rod for shore and boat.........Mike

18. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    The best set up for any species of fish is the one I know will increase my catching rate but I just can't afford. :crying:

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Whiskerbiscut. I think the best all around rod for bank and boat fishing ia a 7ft 6 in to 8 ft rod. You get casting distance from bank yet they are still manageable in a boat.

Action wise. Unless you are after the bigger cats all the time a medium action is plenty stiff. If you use alot of dip bait or chicken livers go with a medium light action. Easier casting the liver with out throwing it off the hook. Also better with circle hooks. The soft tip section will allow the fish to load the rod before he feels any resistance.

Hope this helps