The perfect catfishing boat is......

Discussion in 'Boating' started by germanmudfish, Jul 15, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    With all due respect to our sponsor Seaark Boats (just can not afford to go that way), everyone please tell me the three or four things that make a perfect catfish boat to you. Keep in mind that I am a low tech redneck and the fanciest I will get will be a fish finder/GPS.

By the way, the perfect landing net is still in the works, I have spoken to my brothers and they are interested in seeing the prototype and may want to throw some money toward the project.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Perfect ???

Hmmm, about the only "perfect" I can think of is
    1 that is paid for
    2 gets from Point A to Point B, and back.....

I've seen guys pull in HUGE catfish on $300 beat up old jon boats and guys in $60K custom hand welded boats get skunked...

There are niceties no doubt, I think Sea Ark and Catfishing Safari has designed one heck of a catfishing machine. All the little touches designed just for catfishing. *IF* I had the cash, I'd be seriously looking at one as well as waiting in great anticipation to see the features of the BOC Sea Ark...

If you can't come off the cash, best thing to do is Tailor one to fit YOUR needs. I don't think its a "one size fits all". Some Love to fish from a pontoon in a Lake, others a pontoon isn't that feasible or practical for their waters or techniques.
    Best thing to do is sit in it out in the drive, poles in the holder and just look around and think about what your need where, what you wish you had, what you can build to make it easier for ya, etc etc...

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I learn vicariously through others. I have done the imagining and have decided that the base of the catfishing platform should be a large jon boat. So what I am asking is what features have the members of the brotherhood added or wish they had added to their boats. This is just a project for me and probably will not get started till after the new year. I believe big george, not sure though mentioned the back of the boat is where he lives. So I have taken that into consideration. I read of a drift system used by some fishermen that use rod holders on the side of their boats with different length rods in the holders to space bait out by distance and depth. I would really like to here the imaginings of the brothers and sisters as to what their perfect boat is so I can imagine it in mine and see if it works for me.

Another thing on my list would be a place for a fishing partner to enjoy the experience as much as me.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can't afford to fuel the perfect cat boat, so that's the first of many compromises I would have to make. If it has a larger fuel tank than my truck, it doesn't make the first cut.

I'm a lazy fisherman...I like to set my rods out, and then kick back in comfort, so I want shade and comfortable seating. A good baitwell would be nice, and lockable storage for 8' rods is high on my list. I'll never fish a tournament, so I don't need a huge livewell.

The Alumacraft Navigator 165 Sport tops my list.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    the boat i presently have is the minimum it takes to make me comfortable. my boat is a 1648L LOWE with a 15 inch transom.(i wish i would have got the 20 inch transom) . it came with a live well in the middle seat. i added an aireator my self. installed the floor my self . i carpeted the boat . ...... i added 4 seat bases to the boat. one seat is centered in front of the live well seat. one seat is centered in front of the back seat. ......... on the back seat i added 2 seat bases........ my seats and seat poles came from cbelas. i bought 2 big man seats and 2 smaller bass type seats. i can reconfigure all my seats for various methods of fishing.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    before any rigging began i worke up all needed circuts and wired with good marine quality electrical components. i have a control panel in the rear for all electrical gadgets i also have a switch in the front for the lights......... i put a good timer on the live well.......... my boat is a tiller steer. i spend most of my time in the back of the boat. my motor is a new mercury 25 hp 4strk. electric start. it is very quiet qnd very fuel efficent. it pushes the boat well.......... i fabricated my own drift rod holders. it mounts in holes in the back seat and has braces that quick connect to the transom. i built all components of the rod holders out of stainless steel. my rod holders are very similar to drift masters........... i also added an on board battery charger. i found a bargain on a very good one and it is much handier than useing a portable charger.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    my trolling motor is a minnkota all terrane 40 lb thrust(i should have spent more and went bigger. i am going to up grade my trolling motor to a bigger one with either a remote control or one with electric controls so i can operate it from the back of the boat. the one thing i dont have is a rod rack for storage in my boat. i could do alot of different thing as far as this goes but none of them would be top shelf. i use my boat for a lot of different types of fishing. it is comfortable for 2 people to fish from. it is stable but i wouldn't want to take it out in to open water with 2 and 1/2 foot white caps.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    tops on my list of basics. 16 ft min length. 18 ft is better. i would buy a brand new motor. my new merc comes with a 5 yr warranty and should last a life time if i don't abuse it.a very good locator . aireated livewell. on board charger. comfortable seats(not the cheapest). a few good rod holders for drifting and trolling. 70# thrust trolling motor.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    There are a lot of great boats out there, I have caught fish in canoes as well as offshore boats but I have had 4 boats in 20 years and the ownership length has increased with each boat. Everyone will have different needs/uses and opinions, so at the end of the day-get what best suits the budget and your current, as well as future fishing needs.

This was my decision factor in order of importance:
    • Affordable used boat that is paid for when it arrived home- income needs to go to use, not for pmts. I looked for almost a year before I purchased.
    • Get a boat that matches the type water you fish- I wanted to be able to fish shallow water as well as reservoir and once in the while salt, so I ended up with a bay. I was considering a 18 to 20’ jon, skiff or bay but not so big that it was cumbersome to tow or launch by myself.
    • no compromises on dependable motor. No matter if you want a 4 stroke or 2 stroke, then you wont be happy with a sacrifice here. Do your homework and get what meets your needs. I wanted an intermediate size 2 stroke Yamaha so I got a 90 yamaha. It isn’t the fastest on the water but suits me fine
    • Get a good trailer-either galvanized or aluminum. Don’t skimp on a trailer. It is carrying your investment and you cant fish while you are on the side of the road broke down or eat up with rust.
    • Plenty of rod holders.
    • Depthfinder /GPS
    • Trolling motor for bait fishing or trolling.
    • Room for large cooler and/or bait tank
    • Don’t forget your boat size will dictate the size of tow vehicle you will have to have as long as you own the boat.
    The above is definitely debateable but was what I was looking for.Good luck-dont forget to let us know how it works out.Lindsay

Attached Files:

10. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Bigbird hit it on the money. I have a 18 ft Lowe flat bottom that I love and catch a lot of fish out of it. I have a cheap Hummingbird depth finder a live well, rod holders, and what I need to catch fish. Everyone catches and fishes different. What you need and can afford is what you should have. I catch a lot more fish than my friend who has a 39,000 Ranger. Hey you need to get to point A to point B. A dependable motor, depth finder of your chose and rod holders. Hey I fished on a lot of boats but my little flatbottom is home!! Wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck and keep us posted!!:big_smile:

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    That's what I call fishing!!!:big_smile:

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Good point and one that I did not think of. Kinda like building the car in the living room. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Just what I have been thinking. Singing, (to the tune of home on the range) "Home, Home on the sandbar, where the gills and the catfishes play. Where never is heard a discouraging word, and skies are a little cloudy all day.":smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:Thanks, Ronnie

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have a 400 dollar (of course I have spent much more converting it) trihull that I have "converted" to a pure catfish boat. It works quite well and I could not be happiers. Some day I will have a really nice boat, but for now It is great.

Things that I added are a 50 gallon livewell, Good fishfinder, rod holders...........most importantly, I scrapped everything that was not required for catfish!

15. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    That's what I am talking about...:wink:

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

The one that's available and ready to go out.

Seriously.....that was serious. But anyhow, I like a pontoon or deckboat for catfishing.

Lots of space for fisherpeople, lots of railing for rodholders/R&Rs....

I don't see the need for speed?

I suppose for tourney fisherfolks it could be important to get to a certain spot quickly, in their opinions.

But you never REALLY know where the catfish are gonna be.

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    A place for friends and liesure time. That's fishing!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am stuck in the middle on this one. I don't require going 50 MPH, but when fishing the big rivers (Ohio) you might have to travel 5 or 6 miles to get to where you want to fish. You don't want to spend 30 minutes getting there, especially if you only have a couple of hours to fish. You should be able to put your family in the boat comfortablly. I like my tri0hull because the sides are about 2 feet high and it makes it alot safer for my family.

So what I'm saying is you need enough motor to still enjoy fishing.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....everyone please tell me the three or four things that make a perfect catfish boat to you...."

1) Plenty of room, but still easily towable. We would all love to have the room of a 34 foor center console, but we don't want to buy another truck to tow and have another job to afford the gas.

I need room for a bait tank and a large livewell for tournaments. I also need closed storage for other items I may need while on the water.

2) Enough horsepower to cover water effectively. I don't want to spend an hour riding to a fishing hole on a small lake, especially during a tournament.

3) Something safe in case of bad conditions. I like the comfort of a foam filled hull. I like knowing that is I punch a holl in the bottom or take waves over the side I am not going to sink like in a metal boat.

I settled on a Carolina Skiff 198 DLV last September. The semi-V design of the DLV makes for a smoother ride that flat bottom boats and allows for all the deck room. They are a foam filled hull, so the safety is there. The biggest factor is that I don't know of any other 19 foot boat witha new four stroke motor that I can get brand new for $17,000.00

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ain't no such thing as 'the perfect catfish boat'. What suits one person just won't do for someone else, and what works great one place is totally unsuitable somewhere else. I mean, can you imagine taking a boat that works great on the Mississippi River and using it in a farm pond? You need to sit down and make a list of things you'd like to have in a catfish boat...one feature is usually a tradeoff for another. For instance, a flatbottom is very stable, but will pound you in rough water; a V-bottom will smooth out that rough water, but will rock a lot more. And try to go fishing on various types of boats, preferably on the waters you'll usually be fishing. How many people will usually be fishing on the boat? If you consider a pontoon, remember that there are both advantages and disadvantages. Quite a few people on the board have them and love them; I didn't like fishing from mine, and sold it. You'll want lots of rodholders, but you can add them after you get the boat. If you fish much with live bait, you'll want a livewell. Building one in may be more trouble than you want, so if you need one, make sure the boat already has one, or has room to set a portable live well. Above all, the first consideration is safety; make sure you buy something that will handle the waters you fish with the people and gear you'll have along.