The Pee Dee exploration team... 7/13

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    put in at Cheraw landing this morning. Our goal was to dive in the spot where the steamship Robert Martin exploded in 1872 or so. Through the years, this particular site has yielded cannon balls, grape shot, cannister shells, old bottles, silverware, pottery, and all sorts of trade and steamship items. I don't dive, and I am the boat guy. My pastor, Allen Usher led today's expedition. He had been under water less than ten minutes when he surfaced with a PERFECT old blown glass bottle, in an olive color. Submerging again, he next surfaced with nine 1 1/2 or so grape shot, numerous hand made "cut" nails, a hunk of raw lead, and a few large nuts and bolts. At that time, his oxygen tank was empty, and we called it a day. While they dove, I was catchin' bream as fast as my line would hit the water. I only brought two catfish rods with me, and set them both out. I got a couple of bumps, but no major hits. When they left, I kept fishin' for a couple of hours, but never got over a mile from the boat landing due to time and fuel constraints. Anyhow, here is a link to some history of the Pee Dee at Cheraw. The Robert Martin is spoken of in the link. Pastor Allen has some spoons with Robert Martin engraved on them in his collection. Followed by the link are a few pics.

http://www.greatpeedee.com/Musings/RiverLanding.htm

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One more pic of bottle:

Attached Files:

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hey bill, I beleive that's the roundhill's personal bourbon bottle.......he lost it last year at the PeeDee fish n' camp.......

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    :smile2:ROFLOL!!!!!:smile2:

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WTH? its no good its empty!
    smokey

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy, I could not get the video to play for me. My machine won't download the media player 11 that it requires. It's time to replace my antiquated computer, but I don't have the funds right now. I appreciate the link though, I'll go to someone's computer and view it.

BB

8. Shockwav

Shockwav New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  9. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    Bill

Do you think that diver might have swam over and gave you the bumps just for fun?
    If you hooked one of the divers, could you get him to the boat?

ps. I was raised up on the PeeDee near Cheraw and Rockingham. Ended up on the lower end. First time I've heard of the wreck they are diving. That's pretty cool.......