The Opossum or The Man in Black?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Rottdog, Mar 16, 2007.

George Jones or Johnny Cash?

1. George Jones

2. Johnny Cash

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh it seems that we have had quite a response to the Rock Polls of lately so let's give this one a try!

George Jones
    or
    Johnny Cash

This ought to get a few replies!!!!

Hands down, without a doubt, George Jones for me!!!!
    Garrett

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My all time favorite band singer and all of the above is NO SHOW JONES hands down. TheElvis of country music

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Possum all the way. When I was in the Navy I bought lots of record albums. When I got out I took them home and dad played The Race is On for hours on end. He was his favorite too.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    MIB for me, I dont know why but Ive never been a real big fan of GJ.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    George Jones! Who's gonna fill their shoes? Who's gonna stand that tall? Who's gonna play the Opry, the Wabash Cannonball? Who's gonna give their heart and soul together to me and you? Yeah I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes?

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Johnny Cash was the man!!!

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    J.C. is my pic. The "Man In Black" had a long and diverse life, and his songs reflect it. Kinda like soul country, or country soul, which ever way you see it, Johnny Cash had his own style.:cool2:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Darn it now ya went an hit a nerve!! really cant decide on this one ,I think they're both fantastic

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since I'm not a country fan, this one is easy...Jonny Cash. Especially 'Hurt' by Nine Inch Nails featuring Jonny Cash. Can't think of a Cash tune that I don't like.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Not to take anything away from Cash but Jones is a favorite of mine.

Dave

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm gonna have to go with the man in black. Ya gotta love the"outlaw" country. I like George Jones, but he is before my time. You still here Johnny Cash on the radio today.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    George was my favorite when they were young, but I think Johnny matured more. Love them both.
    I wanted this for my signature, but it was to long.
    Johnny Cash-
    There's a man goin' 'round takin' names. An' he decides who to free and who to blame. Everybody won't be treated all the same. There'll be a golden ladder reaching down. When the man comes around.

13. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    After much thinking I have to go with Cash. I could listen to either of them all day with no complaints, but The Man in Black stands up just a little higher.

14. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    my dad and my grandfather used to jam to johnny's songs on the guitars when i was little and ever since i've been a huge fan. my grandfather has a couple of his jail time records that were never released and man them songs are even better than the ones that made it he is truly the outlaw of country music and will always play on my radio

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    No Show was Great but Johnny got him beat as far as class. He was a legend, looked and acted like it. In life you gotta have a attitude! all he needed was a hat!
    Geo. just sang great!

16. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I'm with Kat in the Hat on this one. I don't like country music, but I love Johnny Cash. I've always considered JC to be rock and roll, heck half of his stuff rocks harder than anything on the radio today. I probably only know one George Jones song, but I have a ton of respect for him as well.

From what I can tell just browing the stations, today's country music is nothing but pop with a cowboy hat on the lead singer.

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im a big Johnny Cash fan, so JC for me. dont really listen to George Jones that much. ill listen to him if i hear a song playin every once in awhile but id never go outta my way to hear a song of his. lol

18. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    I like them both, hard to beat them...but I think if I hadda choose one it would hafta be The Possum. I think hes more laid back and mellowed out where Cash is more edge of the seat and lil tighter wound...personally I prefer the laid back music. But now, I can listen to old style country music all day long without complaints, especially if there is Don Williams, Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich, Barbara Mandrell, Billy "Crash" Craddock, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Oak Ridge Boys, Statler Bros. Oh goodness, I could go on and on. Give me a good slow dance, or two-steppin song anyday and I'm happy.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    George Jones!
    He Stopped Loving Her Today.

A song he at first refused to record because it was too sad and he felt it wouldnt sell.

Once recorded it has become the most popular country song ever recorded with I believe 4 awards and song of the year from the Country music Association two years in a row. Only Freddy Hart has ever done that.

It took a long time to record that one song because he was drunk most of the time and there was talking verse in the song.:lol:

I can listen to Jones almost endlessly and love to watch him perform.
    He once climbed in the back seat of a Cadillac with a bunch of booze to die like Hank Williams. I'm glad he didnt. He has been the spearhead of keeping country music country in the last decade.

20. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Im with Punkin570. I love all the old country, anything older than 90 because my all time fav is the young George Strait. But as far as these two are concerned, Johnny takes the cake. Sunday morning sidewalk is probably one of the most truthful songs I ever heard. John may have lived on the dark side of life most of the time, but I still think his music is pure and soulful. He let it all hang out.

Dru