The Only Fish That carry His Own Fishing Pole And Bait.

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Ace, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The Anglerfishes has got to be the uglyest fish i have ever seen:0a30: .They are famous for their unusual predatory technique. Their first spine have been developed into a fishing pole with a little bate in the end. The fishing pole is actually named “illicium” and the bate is named “esca”. The esca is a fleshy growth found at the end of the illicium. When a predatory fish notices the esca, it thinks that it is a suitable prey. It swims close to the esca, and is rapidly overtaken by the Anglerfish before it gets a change to swallow the esca.

:cat:

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    If I'm not mistaken, that is the female that is like that. I saw a show on this fish a long time ago and between the male and female, the female is the only one that is like that.

AL

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for this post. I remember as a kid seeing a picture of one of these.
    Those are some wild looking fish. Your pics. are alot better then I remember seeing.

4. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Not trying to hijack your thread, but the southern loggerhead/snapping turtle also has a "worm" inside the mouth for the same pupose.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw a show on the discovery channel all about that fish and this might sound crazy but i think the bait on the end of its pole lights up.:eek:

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Don't know which would be worse chasin me...that fish or one of those gars. YEOOOOOOW!!!

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    awww geez!

That aint an anglerfish! Thats Mick Jagger before he does the makeup thing prior to a show!

Man... and I thought I'd learn something new today.

LOL

Good post man!

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes the one in the picture is a female. She is the only one of the sexes that feeds. Males are 1/16 the size of females and bite onto a female just behind her anal opening, where they then fuse with the female for life.

9. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    is that a salt or fresh water fish

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is one bad looking girl.........dont want her in my boat either........

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Naturally it would be the female. lmao

12. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
  13. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are saltwater and they live deep deep down. That is what they told me on tv.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Ernest, thanks for the pics, same as Austin, I remember watching a show on Discovery channel that has some films of this fish.