The One That Pulled Me In!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a little something a few of you may enjoy, to get you primed and to get the fever going alittle bit, since the weather isn't cooperating much yet. It was last year, June the first to be exact. Me and my buddy headed out for a night of early summer lake fishing at a local lake. As we arrived, the evening had all the makings for a productive night we thought. We arranged our gear in the boat and prepared to launch. As we made our way out across the lake we discussed the area we were gonna target that night. We mainly only bankfish when we flathead fish on lakes. We feel the water most nights gets too calm after dusk, and any movements and sound carry for a long ways, so we try to use the boat for transportation purposes only. We arrived after a fairly long boat ride, and pulled the boat ashore. Dark was quickly falling at this point, as we grabbed our rods, and rod holders to seperate along the shoreline. Two big five gallon buckets full of a variety of baits including green sunfish, largemouth bass, and even some bullheads sat awaiting for their turn to be chosen, often smacking the sides of the bucket in attempt to free themselves! A beautiful sound!! We eventially had everything into place, Poles were seperated, each targeting a different area using big slipfloats to present our lively baits in the best manner. That warm summer day drug into the night, giving itself to a clear sky and a full moon as I remember. If any of you have ever been on a lake after dark, you will understand when I say silence fell! You could hear a raccoon a mile away that night. Dead silence! All the pleasure boaters were gone, and most fishermen as well. We sat there like the only two guys left on the face of the earth! Then at alittle before 10:00 pm the first sight of a possible flathead. My buddy slowly stood from his chair and made his way down the bank, towards the active bobber that was being pulled glowstick included beaneath the surface and into the dark water! As he was still tip toeing down the bank, I could hear the steady sound of his clicker coming into the action. Heart pounding anticipation for what might be taking place! I sat there waiting for the first sound of a hook up, not wanting to walk down there for the added vibration and noise I may cause I sat there. Then the sounds of a whale!! The fish flipping and vigorously shaking his head side to side as my buddy tustled the big fish into the shallow water shoreline. By this point, I was by his side, and walked out into the shallows to hand grab the fish! Not, the biggest of fish we caught last year, but a healthy 36 pound flathead. After a couple quick pic.s we let the fish go! After getting everything baited and back to normal we sat talking whether tonight might just be one of those nights! As the hours past by, we quickly learned tonight wasn't gonna end up being one of those great nights, but still one that would be appreciated for the one good hookup.. At 10 minutes till 1:00 am. I asked my buddy if he had enough or wanted to stay till day break like we often do. The moon was brighter than ever, and it just felt like it may not produce another fish. He replied with 10 more, we will round things up at 1:00. I agreed. I sat there for about 5 minutes when I heard the sound of a screaming clicker on my farthest pole. I didn't want to run down the bank again, so I started my slow pursuit knowing the reel the sound was coming from was my abu garcia 10000 spooled with plenty of line. As I made my was towards the pole the moon light drew on the gold colored reel bouncing in the rod holder. All of a sudden the pole bounced one hard time knocking it out of the holder and on the ground. At this point I quickly saw the reel was engaged by the fall and my 300 dollar st.croix/ combo was heading for the water. My slow paced walk then turned into a marathon for the last few feet. The rod was laying in the water and the reel still on the shore, I reached down to grab it after the intial lunge it made, but as I bent over, it was like it had its own mind. The pole shot out across the water like an arrow being shot from a bow. Without hestitation, I dove head first in after it. Like an olympic swimmer, I swam towards the bottom. Laying on my stomach and making a snow angel with my arms and legs desperately losing my mind, my left hand hit the reel. I grabbed the pole stood up in the chest deep water, and set the hook. At this point my buddy is running around the corner of the bank towards me thinking I have hooked a 70 plus pounder. Only to see me fighting a fish like a trout fisherman in a stream. As I made my way back to the bank the disgust of feeling the fish and knowing it wasn't of any great quality quickly overtook me. My buddy could do nothing but laugh to see the 12-15 pound fish that had whipped me like a dog at 1:00 am.. His only response, "I told you we should have left 10 minutes ago." ....hope you enjoyed this one!!! lol...rollo

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats a great story Rollo. I'm smiling now as I write this lol.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story Rollo. I'd like to have seen that...:wink::smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got my fever going. Thanks!!

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Great story and well written ........ Garry- :cool2:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ive had to do the old jump in the water after something routine myself a few times. whethere it be a rod and reel or a boat that i forgot to tie off:embarassed:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've had it happen to me and I've seen it happen to others. Either way...it's pretty darn funny. Great story.

-Jim-

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You should really start taking a video camera with you Rollo. That would have made a great Blooper segment for the sinker gathering lol.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Felt like I was there. Good story...W

10. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for a real funny story and a few good laughs trying to picture it....sb

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Least you got you pole back the one that pulled me ended up swimming with a 14 ft pole.
    Pole $50
    Line $3
    Hat $20
    Look on sons face as I went into water priceless

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great story bro. Glad you got your rig back.

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catfishrollo that was a good one.
    Atleast you didnt lose that combo.
    Wouldnt been able to sleep.If you
    didnt catch that one!

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I had just bought 2 6500 Shimano baitrunners 110 each. Paired with big cat rods. Well I went to the river in my buddy's 8ft john. All we had was a trolling motor. When we got all our equipment into it and shoved off there was only 1 inch of clearence from the top of the boat to the river. We couldn't lean to either side or the boat would fill up with water lol. Not one of our best ideas. Anyway, he had just built these new seats in the boat, We were anchored in the middle of the river, balancing nicely when I got a run on my brand new reel. I set the hook and leaned back too far and the seat popped its bolts and I went flying backwards into the bottom of the boat. Well as I went back I dropped my rod so I could grab the side of the boat. Just as soon as I did it I plunged my arm into the river at me dissappearing rod and missed it. I sat there in the front of his boat so MAD I could barley breathe for almost an hour lol. Then I said lets move, so we reeled everything in and as I pulled up the front anchor, I seen line wrapped around the rope. Then my rod tip, which I grabbed and pulled into the boat. Then I could feel a struggle on the end of the line. I then reeled in a 10lb green leatherback turtle lol. I was so happy to get my reel back. But sadly the turtle didn't make it. He was hooked too deep.

15. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats a good one rollo..lol i took a dive for a rod that went in only to find a 6 pound carp took my cut shad..:sad2: i know how you feel... thanks for sharing.

16. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    S-man thats another good story.
    At least the boat didnt sink!

17. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Skip .... did you eat the turtle? Softshells are some fine eating! ...... Garry-:eek:oooh:

18. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good story Rollo, I could picture that whole scene

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats a good story Rollo. Gotta love bank fishing at night...

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good stroy man. Thanks!

Solid, dependable rod holders are an absolute must!

(One time I decided to lean a rod in a corner of the boat. About a 6 pound blue took it sailing over the stern. I got real lucky, my buddy and I dragged wieghted hooks along the bottom for a bit, and he managed to snag it for me - along with someone else's outfit! They weren't so lucky.)