the one that got away

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sliprig5, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sliprig5

sliprig5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James Shrout
    I have a story for everyone. I was fishing out in Estill County, Kentucky on the Kentucky River with my uncle. We was using crawdads as bait. I caught a nice 10 pound drum about 8:00 pm but hadn't had a bite in about 3 hours. About 11:30pm my biggest pole an 11 footer fell to the right on the boat and started to go into the water. I picked it up quickly and set the hook... Holy shit I hooked the one! I wrestled with it for about five minutes when it surfaced, 40-50 pound blue cat. I seen it and freaked. Unfortunately, when I tugged it toward the boat... The line broke! I was downhearted. I have never hooked into a bigger fish in my life.
    James

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It really hurts me when the big one gets away.....It tears me up as a matter of fact. Sorry you lost the big one! What type and weight of line do you use? I use 20 lb mono....but keep the drag a little on the loose side just because of this same reason. Well at least now you know where to go back to next time! Good Luck to you!!!:big_smile:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yep, that's a bummer, man. I use 100# braided line exclusively to reduce the possibility of that happening.
    Bill in SC

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well, to me, it would get boring if I didn't lose a monster every now and then. If I can't whip him with 20 or 30lb line then I tip my hat to him and wish him well till the next time we meet. I've landed most of the big fish I've hooked, but it's those few that got away that really make me look forward to the next trip.

5. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Man i hate you lost your big fish. I lose more that i catch that what make you come back.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You located and hooked him once, half the battle is over. Go back and get him. Upgrade your line size.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive fond that ive lost more fish when trying to horse them in than guide them in and let them run a little when they really want to run.

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Look at it this way..you got to see him! I had one hooked for 15 minutes last year and could not get him to come up...I could feel that I was draging him in 20 feet or so then he would run back to the hole..we did this for 15 minutes when the hook came out!! I was shaking like a little girl... I would have loved to have him come up to the top like yours did..it sounds like you need to change to a heavier line as I did with a larger hook.

9. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Too bad you saw him,,, Now you can't,, expound,,, on the story!!!!:smile2:

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i agree

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It makes me Sick to lose a big fish and most of the ones I have lost was my faught