The One That Got AWAY!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 15, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a post last year about this.. Looking for your storys about the one you lost,,, and it felt your family jewels were cut off!:smile2: rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a few myself, but one that sticks out was last year about this time of the year.. I was fishing one of my favorite wintering holes. I had cut shad, gill heads, and a few live baits. I threw a largemouth bass out alive around 8 inches or so. I wasn't expecting any runs on large, livebaits.. But, its just something I had to do.. It wasn't long before it was picked up that afternoon, and the fish slowly moved away with it.. I locked the reel in, and turned with the fish in the boat. I set the hook, and felt the size of the fish, which was moreless dead weight! The fish ran a short ways stripping drag, before the hook came free... I stood there in disbelief! The funny thing was there was another boat and fisherman in the area targeting smallmouth, he yelled over.... " did ya have a big carp?" Unaware of why I was there obviously! I yelled back..... Yep! Sure Did!!:roll_eyes: rollo

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    was fishing off of a dock and did not catch anything all night. morning rolls around and i am getting ready to leave when a ton of bass boats roll in. they were having a local tourney and i was stuck there til they got done getting their boats in the water. so i reeled in one rod and i still had a live gill on the other so i cast it out to an old beached barge. one of the guys was asking me how i did and we were talking for a minute then he left. i started to turn and my baitrunner starts going out. i had the pole in my hand and let it run a little as there is a big snag right where he was at. he ran out and around it and started to head up river so i kicked the reel in gear and that fish literally pulled me about a foot across the dock towards the water. i thought uh oh i got a hog here and went to set the hook and got 3/4's of the way through and he spit the bait. that was the heaviest fish i have ever felt on a rod before and i have never had one ever physically pull me. i was sick. waited all night and then to have that happen. should have set the hook sooner. oh well maybe next year.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    This is about a friend that fishes with me a lot.

He had joined me on the Ohio RIver for another chance to land his first Flathead. He was fishing a 6-8" dead shad. He was also using 65# Power Pro Line and Team Catfish 8/0 Hooks. He got a hard tug taking his rod down real well. I made the comment that he should not try to set the hook hard (a tendency he has a lot). Well his rod decided to dive bomb hard and stayed down. He pulled it out of the rod holder and set the hook so hard he broke his line and staggered backwards, almost falling.

I keep telling him that it was a huge Flathead. I know really that it could have actually been a smaller one or even a different fish. But I have been pretty persuasive in comvincing him he might have had a new state record. He has even switched back to mono line since that.:smile2:

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fishing in a lake I threw out a large warmouth suspended around 13 feet near some hidden structure. I set the clicker and was turning around when my clicker started screaming, I thought I had tangled in my line somehow and turned to look. I noticed that my float was gone so I engaged my reel and set the hook. Immediately it was taking drag, all of a sudden my float shot out of the water. After reeling in wondering what happened I saw that my swivel had broken in half. :confused2:

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This year up on the wall my faverote spot-I hooked a gill that any man could of filleted(BIG GILL) sent him sailin to the muddy and told the missus if it goes I am in a world of hurt ....sure nuff that clicker on my 309 went squealing(LOL) almost had smoke commin off it then the fight was on....I got it up next to the wall and saw it ...guessing it was in the 40's then it rolled and headed for the corner where it snapped my line..:crazy:..I just couldnt get him under controll but we will be back next yr havin a peep and you will be reading bout it:wink:He aint beating me twice(LOL).........then one time on the wall I about got jerked off the wall I just tossed my line out and flipped the lever well it hit bout that time the strike was instant and we got a suprise.....it over powered me to fast and nuttin I could do when that line snapped......Oh yeah there is a couple more but thats what keeps me gion back.....someday I would like to hit the 100lb club or up there past 60 were only 1/2 way there now!:wink::cool2:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i took one of my buddies out for his second time for flatheads well he forgot to loosen his drag, all of a sudden his rod shoots off his v-stick into the river like an arrow, as we watched the glow stick on the end of his pole vanish into the river we stood there speechless:eek:oooh:, i walked down the bank a few yards and managed to snag his line and we got the pole back, i could feel the fish on the other end but it was hung up on something and we never did get to see how big that one was, i still bust on him for that one:smile2:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I guess the best one I can think of is down on the Missp at Elsberry,Mo. a few yrs ago brother-in-law and I was in his boat and he got a good hit. Pulled end of rod down on side of boat. He couldn't raise it up but about an inch so I went to help him out. We just couldn't budge that darn fish.Finally broke his line.
    Went back next day and I think it was the same fish on my line .I set the hook and it pulled me up out of the chair.Didn't get it that time either:sad2:
    Figured it was a Flat or one big Channel.It was by a underwater dike.
    Guess I'll have to try it again next summer.

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I dont recall ever losing a fish?:eek:oooh::smile2:. JK! I lost a few good fish this year! The one that makes me the sickest is I was fishing at alum creek this year in Aug. around some down timber in 4 to 5 foot of water right by a drop off that goes deep. I lost a few good channels on the rock ledge a few days before! I was using 50# power pro which is terrible in the rocks! I tossed a live 6 in. warmouth about 2 feet from the logs. I had a few short runs but i knew they were just channels. So i was re rigging my other pole when my clicker started a slow but steady run right for the timber. I picked up my rod and set that hook hard. It was nothing but dead weight, I tried to crank my drag down to keep him out of that stuff but It was too late cause he was under the logs and started out the other side right for that rock ledge, my line cut like someone had a fillet knife out there! That day I went out and bought all new big game mono and will never go back to braid again! Ever!! The way he pulled and as heavy as he was he had to be a good sized flat or a new state record channel! LOL!