The one that got away

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Arkansascatman777, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I bet the guy that shot this deer was sick when he couldn't find it. It is similar to the 9 point I killed the other day except it is a little wider spread and the 5 v/s 4 points are on the opposite side.
    I know over the years i've had a few get away and it makes you sick when you can't find them. One in particular that I still think about was a big buck I shot. It's still one of the bigger bucks i've seen in the woods. It bled really bad for a ways then the blood trail just stopped. I shot it at close range with a 30-06 and knocked it 10 yards sideways. I had time to shoot again but didn't think I needed to, knew it was a good hit. Never seen that deer again.
    Anyone got any stories about the one that got away?

Attached Files:

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    yer makin my stomach ache just thinking about it....there is nothing worse than losing a deer when hunting, unless of course you count falling on an arrow or shooting yourself in the leg or losing a toe to frostbite so I guess there are a few things worse than losing a shot deer but it definately ranks up there!:embarassed:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    A few years back I was bowhunting a friend of mines' property. After watching this small buck cruise the area for several minutes, out popped this huge buck. He came in closely to the tree I was in and offered me a good shot. I drew and let the arrow fly. All I heard was a loud crack and the buck stumbled into this creek bottom. After 20 min., I climbed down and went to the location of the deer and he popped up and ran. So I went back and got a couple of my friends to help track him. After taking up the minimal bloodtrail, we jumped the buck 3 different times. Looked like he was running pretty good, but he was favoring his left leg. We spent 6 hours that day and 5 hours the next, but no deer!! Still think about that day and hope he lived a healthy life. He was a great 4x4 and probably scored in the upper 140's. Long tines and he was tall. Damn, I wish I could of put my hands on him, but that's hunting. Playing the shot back in my mind, I realize it was a tough angle shot. Knowing the shot probably hit him in the shoulder bone. Tough luck!!:angry:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've lost my share of them, but luckily none of them were very big.

5. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    He very well could have made it to be hunted another day. I have personally seen a deer with an broadhead stuck in his upper leg and bone starting to grow over it when we were cutting it up, we figure it had to have happened the year before. Deer are tough, tougher than we are, but it still makes you sick when one gets away. But if you hunt long enough it will happen....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    man more then one :embarassed:,thanks for reminding me :sad2:,not:angry:

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yep, just lost one last night. 60yds with my shotgun, i shot, and he fell down. He then proceeded to get up and run. I never did find any blood. Gonna keep an eye out for buzzards. He had a nice 4 point rack on one side, but the other was either broke off or a small fork.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Hmmm, more sad for the deer than the hunter. Probly died slow and to no avail. Sorry to the hunter that lost his harvest, but I have never lost a deer. Careful to make one shot, firearm or arrow, one kill or I will not shoot. That is part of being a good sportsman and good hunter. I know that my post sounds like crap but I do take the extra care for a clean kill. But to the other side of the subject, I know that shit happens and a well planned harvest can go south for various reasons. That is too bad that the hunter lost his/her deer. It looked to be a nice harvest.:cool2:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Robert, I'm proud for you that you have never lost a deer. I'm almost 48 years old and have deer hunted pretty heavy since I was 12. I've bow hunted, muzzy hunted, shotgun hunted and rifle hunted in those 36 years and have lost very few deer but I have lost a few. Most people that have hunted a lot of years have went through the agony of not finding a deer at least once. Also been lost one time in those 36 years, I've came out somewhere besides where I thought I was going to several times but was just outright lost once :wink::smile2:.
    Anyone else got any stories about the one that got away? Or any stories about the one you never got a shot at?