The one that got away!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigblaze, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I need some help...let me set the scenario...:0a36:

We were fishing (drifting) Jordan lake saturday...it was a good morning we had boated many little cats so when my rod started twitching i figured it was another little cat...then it happened the rod loaded up and the fight was on...the fish started pulling line off the drag zip zip zip was all i heard My partner said you got a stump and i said no way it's a big one...before I knew it I was at my monifilament to powerpro connection and feared he would break it...

I was able to gain some line on and thought the worst was over until....

The fish started running alongside the boat, I feared he was gonna tangle in all the other lines... but just like that it was over.

I was using 50lb. power pro and the fish broke it like it was nothing...

I have heard stripers have a sharp gill plate and when he turned sideways he could have possibly flared his gills and cut it or i guess it could have been a gar they have some nasty teeth...

I will start using mono leaders

Anybody have any thoughts on what fish could have done that..:confused: .

forgot to mention i am very anal about my knots and check my line for knicks everytime before I cast

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    It was either a Striper or a Bowfin. The Stripers are now getting about 18-19 lbs. in the lake and the Bowfins have always been big. Never seen a Longnose Gar in that Lake (plenty in the Haw/Cape Fear below it though. Since the Channels max out at around 12 pounds in the lake it could have been one of those but I doubt the gear you had would have failed with a Channel.

I was out there Saturday as well and we were catching big Crappie and White Bass and stayed after dark to try for Stripers on cut shad. April is the only month we get the big Stripers on cut bait in Jordan. Did manage several decent Channels but that was about it.

Heres a few cut bait Jordan Stripers from another April trip

Attached Files:

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What kind of structure were you fishing near, if any? Braid are horrible about getting cut off, especially around rocks when tension in high on the line. I used to use it for saltwater, and dam fishing back in Iowa, but you have to use a mono leader, or it will cut clean through as soon at anything remotely sharp hits it. For a test, tighten it good and just tap it with a knife blade! You'll slice right through it withought even trying. On the beach I used shells to cut my line.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    c_wernett Yea i am learning about that we tested it (power pro) same way your talking about we pulled it tight and it just touched it with the blade and sure enough it snapped......

we were fishing sumberged trees on the edge of the river channel...

greggofish those are some nice fish where about did you catch those not looking for your honey hole, just want to see if we were in about the same area

5. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm gonna guess it was a fair sized bowfin also. They do seem to be structure oriented for the most part.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I guess i can deal with loosing a bowfin over a gigantic cat or striper

I am still gonna go to a mono leader (50lb)

and respool all my reels...

7. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I will actually tell you the exact spot......you can't fish there any more anyway. We caught them right off of the point at the water plant. Right by the 64 bridge. They seem to get real shallow at night in April and love cut shad. We caught several real nice Channel cats that night as well but I usually release catfish. There are several other main lake points in that area. Set up on any of them as long as you are fishing 4-7 feet deep with deep water close by. Ideally, the main channel should be close by. Several areas around the bridge near Crosswinds fit that description.

Good Luck........

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    You mentioned in a previous post where i hooked that big one we were on the edge of the "river" channel...hint hint