The one that didn't get away

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by tallbump, Jul 19, 2007.

1. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So, took the girls out again yesterday. Before we left I got the rods all ready so when we got there all I would have to do is bait the hooks and cast. Stopped and grabbed some wax worms (first time using them, worked well) and we were off. So I bait the 3 yr old's (Mackenzie) hook an drop it in for her, and get ready to bait the 8 yr old's (Kay-Cee). Not even thirty seconds later Mackenzie is reeling in and I see she's got some tension. :crazy: So, I just grab the line and pulll a little and, sure enouch she's got one already:big_smile:.
    So, I help her get it in, and, WOW, I have never seen a Gill that big in person. Of course I didn't have a camera with me, or a ruler, but I measured it compared to my hand and then compared to a ruler when I got home. This thing was at least 8 1/2 inches:tounge_out:.
    I was so proud and shocked!
    No luck after that, just lost our worms like crazy.:embarassed:
    But that first one made up for it.
    One question though, why do I always lose bait so easy? I could watch them swim up, grab it, and swim away:eek:oooh:. The only thing I can figure is that maybe my hook was too big???? I used the smallest ones I had, but I know they make smaller. No clue what size they are, they came in a kit I bought for $10 at WalMart. They are the smallest size with metal jig heads. (Needed the extra weight) Oh yeah, they aren't barbed, guess that matters too?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hey Brian try using size 8 Aberdeen hooks from Eagle Claw.They work awsome for panfish.:006: I'll probably take my boys out this evening.:big_smile_2::0010::0010:

3. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'll have to try those. Thanks.
    Good luck tonight.:0a23:

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hopefully the rain will hold up for us,:0a23:

5. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I was wondering about that. It's been off and on all day here.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A size 6 gold aberdeen can't be beat for panfish in my opinion. Pretty much any aberdeen hook from size 10-4 will work depending on the size you're after.

7. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    To be completely honest, size doesn't matter in the least. i just want the kids to catch them somewhat regularly, and to stop losing the bait so easily.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I would think the barbless hook is the reason you loose bait so easily. that gold #6 is my choice.

9. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have to give those a try too, thanks!

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah the barbless hook is the biggest part of your problem, but wax worms are easy to get off a hook also. Especially if there is alot of little ones hitting your hook. Try using a small hook with a barb and small pieces of night crawlers they are harder to get off the hook for the little ones.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use a #6 also. I put the bee moth on by pushing the hook from head to tail. (thru the whole body) I also put 2 on. Takes longer for the fish to get them off.
    Bill

12. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hey that's a pretty good size bluegill I bet she was happy. :smile2:

I bluegill fish a lot and don't miss too many using #6 light-wire aberdeen hooks with the long shanks. I find that if you use much smaller than that they'll swallow the hook more often than not.

13. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    yah make sure you put a few on the hook then they dont see the hook

14. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    I PUT A #8 CIRCLE ON MY BOYS POLE AND HE'LL OUT FISH ME 10 TO 1.

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i like the small brass hooks too....they straigten out if you ever get in a snag......usually after catching bait all morning my hook won't even look like it did when it came out the pack