The one that didn't get away

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Tuttlecat, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I decided to do a "spur of the moment" trip to the Kaw after breakfast. I decided that because it was going to be after 9:00am, I would just fish the spots along a high bank that were shaded, instead of places that actually hold fish:big_smile:
    So off I went to a place that had some mulberries dropping, and hoped the Channels would bite. I got several real hard hits on night crawlers and chubs, in a jam about 8 feet deep, but did not hook up.

So I hit another place on a "wing dike" that has 14-15ft of water in it right now.....nothing. So I went back shallower to a place that had lots of shade, and a little wood. Threw some Secret 7 out at the tip of the current, and caught a beat up male Channel about 5 pounds right off the bat. A couple sturgeon were also brought to the boat on the worms I had out.
    I decided to throw past the wood , and as it finally hit bottom, there was a bite immediately, I set the hook and the fight was on. I had 80 pound Power Pro on the rod and for good reason. Got him to the boat and it was the cutest Flathead I have caught all year! I didn't weigh him, but he was probably 6 oz. dripping wet.

Attached Files:

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    he looks like a solid 6 1/2 if you ask me:smile2:

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thats a monster :wink:

4. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    After reviewing the pictures, I think I may have exaggerated a bit....but I think he will still go a solid 4:tounge_out::smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thats a good one Bryan....You can see the fear in his eyes.He thought you was going to eat him:smile2:

6. groundsquirrel

groundsquirrel New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think yopu ought to mount him, and then hang him over your mantle!

7. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    good times:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Almost as big as the one I got last night.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    Mine went a whole pound. Took a 5 inch perch.:crazy:
    Congrats!:wink::smile2:

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Well now ain't he just cutest little thing you ever did see.:smile2: Just kidden Bryan, congrats on the last minute trip.

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Monster flathead there! I think the bullheads in my stock tank are bigger than that flathead! LOL :smile2:

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I like to start with the small ones and work my way up:eek:oooh:

I only took 2 beers with me..... I don't think I could have worked up to a 5 pounder today:big_smile:

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    "I only took 2 beers with me"

I think I'm going into shock, you with only 2 beers. Must have been hard night before, you should seek professional help...............Catfishfever!!!

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got distracted...........cute fish:wink:.

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well he might not be a monster now but give him some time.

15. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    however that is the first time i ever heard the words "cute" and "flathead" used in conjunction with each other

16. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I said it was morning, didn't I??:embarassed::embarassed::eek:oooh:

I have been drinking 11-13 POUNDS of water a day this week!!!!
    It was a hot-humid SOB.

Thought about going this morning, but sounds like the "Cold Front" shut down was was barely biting anyway this morning.

I sure would like to catch his daddy. though.... He's gotta go 5-6 lbs:eek:oooh::big_smile::big_smile:

17. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Went out tonight and started fishing at 6:00pm

I caught the little dudes dad, grandad and three of his big brothers, along with 3 channels and lost 3 others in less than an hour and a half:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

I could not keep three poles going..... I mean burning some serious calories here:tounge_out:

But after 7:15 or so, they just quit:confused2: I think the big ones woke up, and the little ones went to bed:wink:

Attached Files:

18. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    The biggest one may have been a solid 6 pounds, hitting suckers about as hard as I have seen yet this year......in 3-4 ft of water.

Attached Files:

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Right place at the right time. Well done Bryan.
    Nice lookin spot too.:wink:

20. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I went out with 2 friends on the Kansas last night and we caught 5 flats and 2 channel in a shallow side channel. Nothing big, about 8lbs biggest. We caught more fish though, because we took 2 coolers full of beer, not just 2 beers. I did catch 2 flats on cut chub though, kinda surprised me this time of year. We only caught 1 after midnight, the bite was mostly early. My boat is not really set up for fishing 3 people so we just fished from a sandbar and didn't move around.