The one ill never forget

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wil, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    my first turkey with a stick and string. i hunted hard the first two days of the season and i was willing to shoot anything in range that was legal for my first bow turk. i ended up killing a jake but the story behind it is just hilarious. i had my friend, evan, in tears when i told him this story. i got out the first morning and put a stalk on a group about 500 yards away, got 30 yards away from a nice big tom and barely missed to the left. that night i had an interesting encounter. i drove into this pasture and sat and listened for 20 minutes. i got out of the truck and went and stood by this tiny cedar tree and i called. all of a sudden a jake jumps out of the cedar and starts tryin to spur me so i reach for my knife but it wasnt on my belt so i swing at it with my bow and i miss and it runs off and i didnt get a chance to shoot at it. the next morning i put the stalk on another group while they were out for the morning feed. i never had a chance for a shot then because they went into some timber and across a barb wire fence, thanksfully i had permission on that property too. so i went back to the truck and circled to the other pasture. i got out and called a little and i heard gobbles probably about 200 yards away. so i went walkin and i crossed this fence and went up this draw to another fence. a hen walked out from behind a cedar 15 yards away. she stops looks at me and walks away. i stand for 2 more minutes and then a jake comes out of the same cedar and he putts and shuffles into the draw to my left. i cross the fence and follow him so i could maybe get a shot. i dont. then another jake pops out 20 yards to my right and i draw back on him but he goes into another draw. i follow him down the draw then i hear 3 sets of gobbling on the other side. so i drop down into the draw and im tryin to get them to gobble agian so i can pinpoint them. i dont get an answer. i walk to the end of the draw and im about ready to come out so i can find where they were and when i come around this big cedar tree there are three struttin jakes sittin there.. i freeze.. nothin happens. so i nock an arrow and step out and draw at 20 yards, shaved every single tail feather off of the one i shot at so he takes off, the other two go 10 yards and stop so i nock another arrow and shoot at the closest one. woulda hit vitals but he jumped the string and i broke both drumsticks. as soon as i heard the smack my heart jumps and starts racin but the bird starts flying away. not thinking straight, i put my bow down and take off after him. i lost him so i walked down the ditch when i hear some rustlin in the trees, i look and theres my bird, he sees me and starts flappin away but cant fly cuz his legs are broke. at this point i realize that i dont have anything to finish him with so i grab the nearest fallen branch and jump into the pit. have you ever seen a man trying to catch a chicken? ya i looked like that. chasin this wounded turkey around in a circle tryin to hit him in the head, he starts gettin away from me so i chuck my stick at him and it misses so now i dont have my stick anymore either, he stops and looks at me and i stop and look at him. i was standing in some sort of wrestling position and the bird was calming down and let me get 3 feet from him. so i get up and back up slowly to get another stick and omw back he starts actlin like hes gonna run again so i slow down and walk up slowly and when i got close enough i finished him off. boy was i proud of myself for gettin my first turkey haha. so thats my story and im sure it wouldnt have happened to anyone else but me lol:cool2:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    WTG WIL!! I'm sure your really happy on bagging your first Turkey with the bow. Those turkeys have a way to shake up hunters!! A big congrats to ya! Wild turkey is some fine eating! Enjoy the success!!:wink:

Mark..

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the first of many with your bow,Will,I could just visualize the whole thing as it happened.:smile2: I'm proud of ya buddy.:cool2:

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    Great story wil , exciting and funny thanx's for share'n.:cool2:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Never swing the bow! LMAO. Great job there Wil. Congrats.:cool2:

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL,,, Good thing they aren't poisonous...,You might'a gotten hurt!!! Wrestlin' Turkeys..

How come ya to get disarmed so much,,,LMAO...,, Good story, thanks,,,:smile2:

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    haha ya it was a very interesting couple of days.. probably the kind of thing thatd happen to me and only me haha. im just glad i found him and was able to finish him off! woulda felt bad if i wouldnt have found the little bugger. sure is somethin im gonna have fun tellin to all my future huntin buddies haha

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a great story, Wil I had an experience kind of like that, Them turkey s are hard to get sometimes, my first bow turkey was something like that. I went out to deer hunt with my bow on public on the first day of fall turkey season , hoping the turkey hunters would kick up some deer, and I could cath them off gaurd, when all of a sudden I heard 2 guys calling about 300 yards away , and then I heard a tom answer them about 200 yards the other way,and ahead of me ,so I ran up to a leavy croosed it and got half wy in between the guys and the turkey in a corn row, and waited, and before I knew it the tom stepped right in front of me, and I was ready, I shot and heard the thud, I saw the turkey flappin and I waited, wow it was a double bearded gobbler,it sat there with a arrow sticking right through it, it started in at the left breast plate and cme out the rightleg, pinning him to the groud, so I walked up to it and seen it couldnt move.I tried to shoot that dude in the head,And I could shoot a tight group then , but it kept dodging the arrows, I tried to hit it with the bow and couldnt so finally I ended up jumpimg onit at the base of the neck and worked my feet up to the head,and stompped it, looking around to make sure no body saw that, I gathered my self and slung that turkey up to my hip and headed out, I met those guys at the truck that were calling ,and they were really impressed aturkey with a bow, they said.I dint tell them he was looking for them,and I was just in the right spot at the right time

9. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    They sure ain't easy with a bow! Way to go.

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya its definately the most fun thing to hunt with a bow in my opinion. a real challenge especially if u dont have a blind because they can see you so easily. might have to get me another permit and have at it again

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Wil,
    A intresting story for sure.

Thanks for postin it.

Congratulations on getting your bird.

opj

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck of a deal it sounds like. Congrats Wil, enjoy the memories and the meat.