The ole BBB (Burn Ban Back)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Mar 27, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well we had a few days relief. Enough that I broke out the old arc welder and started working of my friend's boat trailer. Darn ember popped off the metal and went into the cuff of my trousers. I didn't notice it untill the flames burned my a__. Finally got the fire out, my leg burned, my hands burned, and me running around the back yard in my underwear. I sure am glad the Gov. put that ban back into effect. LOL

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You ok? Gotta watch them embers.

3. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Been there more than once bro!Just can't seem to get naked quick enough!LOL:frk-big:

4. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    bud u just made my day!! just ben nice here did not want the bb back though. got my boat ready. baitwell up to date, batts. charged, poles all re rigged gurss im about ready . for keystone this weekend. have a day. ur to old to burn!!! long. lol

5. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Built a great campfire at the river sunday - hadn't been able to sit by the river at a campfire in forever:003: They only blasted me away long enough to go for an airboat ride. Maybe we will get some rain this week and lift that burn ban - again -
    Hope your recovered from the slag burn - those can be bad:crying:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Goodness gracious, rb... you have insomnia? I can understand why I wasn't sleeping at 3:00 AM... I have a friend here with an airboat. We hit the Cimmaron river from Kingisher to Keystone. It is a load of fun until the $&$^% tries to cross a dry sandbar that is just a little to wide... then it gets to be work. But, we don't have to worry about rocks ripping the bottom of the boat out either.

7. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No insomnia, I sleep great-just not enough:) I had to be at work at 0515 and am a slow morning mover. Have coffee for an hour then get ready to go. 3-4 was coffee time. I am not a hit the floor running person-have to think about the running 1st:rolleyes: Hope you guys caught some big fish. Does your buddy have polymer on the bottom of the boat? It sure helps on those long sandbars. Those airboats are better than an amusement park ride with that polymer on the bottom.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea if he has treated the bottom, I just know it goes and goes and goes. Last time I was out we hit a wind shear and he lost rudder control right in the middle of a left turn. We were all leaning to the left side of the boat trying to get it to turn, hit the river bank and went airborne. I remember flying through the air thinking I had to move cause that boat was going to come down right on top of me. After the waves settled down, we took stock. The boat was on its' side with the motor in the water. My $450.00 camera gone, tools gone, but the people were all Okay. Had about a 12 mile walk to town, got a come-a-long, shovel, ropes, etc, and a truck and drove back as close to the river as we could get. Tied onto the boat and got it back on its bottom. The top of the gunwales were above the surface of the river, so two of us started bailing while the boats owner, a mechanic, worked on the motor. We got the boat floating about the same time he was ready to try the engine. We primed the carburator and he hit the key and the darn thing started. Mark left to take the truck home while Billy and I went on down the river. Very, very entertaining trip. I dreamed about flying through the air for weeks. Hope you have your fun and excitement, but no way near that much. lol. Take care of yourself and maybe I'll see you fishing some day.

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Yikes! Between lighting yourself on fire and using the airboat as a launch platform, sounds like things occassionaly get exciting. ha

I've done the welding your pants on fire thing, too. Seems like everyone I've ever seen do it does the exact same dance steps for a while. :rolleyes: No matter how bad it is, you just can't get that fire out fast enough.

I'm glad I got my burn pile burned on Saturday or who knows when I would be able to get to it. Seems like when we have a sunny day the wind is sweeping down the plains too hard to burn.

10. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I too have been launched out of the seat but lucky enough to stay in the boat-those stumps can be heck when they jump out in front of you! Anyday airboating is a great day even if you are ejected occasionally:) Gotta take the good with the bad-or get the driver glasses:rolleyes:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I sometimes think the son-a-gun does that on purpose. Then starts this funny, high pierced giggle. By the time I get back up, he is rolling in his seat. Water packed sand is hard.

12. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never made it to the sand-just got wedged in between the seat and the side of the boat. Way more adventure than I needed or wanted. I thought about seat belts but if the thing ever flipps I think I'd rather be thrown clear. In that instance the driver got hurt worse so I got to be the giggler (after I checked to make sure we were all in one piece!)
    Those airboats are about the most fun I have ever seen but I have seen them wrecked, sunk and caved in. I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES:cross:

13. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man, that sounds like a BLAST!!!!

I wanna try it!!

14. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will try to talk one of them into coming to Keystone and bringing their boat. They do not do well in deep water as they swamp easily so shallow rivers are best for airboating. I tried to talk my cousin and his wife into attending the get together but it is their anniversary so don't know if I can talk her into it or not-I told her we would have spacious accomodations at the motel but I don't think she was buying my story. :)
    They go round and round on a dime twirling like on the teacup ride or tilt a whirl at a fair, if you come off a sandbar just right a wall of water goes over the people in front just like the log ride at Six Flags. They have had them up to 60mph flying like the wind on a straight away. They fly across a sandbar almost as fast as they fly on water. Truly about the best time you can imagine. I will work on them-are we on the river part of Keystone or the lake part? That will be the big deciding factor.

15. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    All this talk about airboats has me pretty excited. A buddy of mine just bought a project airboat, a 14 footer for 200.00 dollars. There's no motor and it needs a little work but he couldn't pass up a boat and trailer for 200.00We have priced some brand new motors for under 2 grand. I'm hoping by next spring will be running up and down the Arkansas and Cimmeron.:)

16. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,
    I do not have a boat but listen to the boaters alot. The motor and prop are really important. I believe a 3 blade carbon fiber prop is tops- they are lighter and keep the weight of the boat down. The motors they have here are v-8 GM marine motors-you can see them on the GM website and order them as well. They will ship to wherever you want. The marine motors have more aluminum and are lighter. Polymer on the bottom is key to keep you sliding across the sand. Get good polymer off the bat because there are about a million screws to bolt it to the bottom of the boat so you don't want to replace it very often. Diamondback has a cool website and a complete parts list if you need to order anything. www.diamondbackairboats.com or 1-800-424-5624 if you want them to send you a catalog. Classic airboats is also a great site for boats and parts/catolog. I don't know their web site address but their phone is
    1-800-228-7977. They will send you a catalog. Beware airplane motors unless you have someone to work on them and the oil and fuel is higher too. It costs $60 to $80 to fill them up but they will go a long way on that much fuel. You can get a crate motor ready to bolt on for about $3,ooo delivered from the GM website. I love airboats-can you tell?:)
    Silver Dollar airboats are in Texas. They make a deeper boat that is a little harder to swamp but does not do whirly gigs as well as the more shallow boats. You will never regret getting that boat - get ready for the ride of your life.

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Thank you for all the info there Misty. This is a pretty small airboat and I'm really kind of thinking of a VW engine in back. Those 1800cc motors can put out a fair amount of hp and since it's only a 14 footer I think that will be plenty. I can see myself after a year or so wanting something bigger and better. :)

18. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Misty,
    The Gathering is on the main lake but there are shallow areas in the coves and the dam and river are less than 5 miles away.
    That boat sounds fun!

19. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Misty, I would love for them to bring one, only problem is that I would probably exceen the weight limit.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My friend that runs the Cimmaron with his airboat just puts in v-6 buick engines. Says the 8 cyls adds too much weight. I don't know what all he has, but he got something like a 16' jon boat and welded the cage and motor mount on back, with all the screen wire thats supposed to keep you from becoming mince meat. He gets called out fairly often when there is floods and/or drownings. The OHP and Oklahoma/Logan county officers have all used him. I know its' kinda gruseome, but I think he has recovered 7 bodies by himself.