The old santee river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Robbie Norton, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Has any body fish in the old santee river below the dam, has anybody caught any herring or shad, are they up that far yet.:smile2::cool2::wink::roll_eyes:

2. KINGCARP

KINGCARP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fished behind the dam near arrowhead landing 3/14 and caught a bunch. one shad 4.9 . pounds . and a few big herring. the ducks was eating them up.

3. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Robbie, my buddy went to Wilson landing on 3/15/09 and fished up to the cable and caught 12 American shad and a bunch of big saltwater herring. He caught the shad on jigs and the herring on sabiki rigs. He went the following day and didn,t do very well. I guess their just starting to make their runs. good luck

4. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    THICK !!! VERY THICK !!! We have been catching 50-75 shad apiece for the last couple of days at Wilson's and Arrowhead.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Say that again?

6. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Thanks guys for the info, i'll tell my brother enlaw to see if we can get some of them:smile2::cool2::wink:

7. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    There IS a difference between "catching" and "keeping"

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Danny, you're right. I guess maybe I interpreted the post wrong. If that's the case, please accept my apology. :embarassed:

9. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    No problem Tommy.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A bunch of us fished for the shad over that way today, and I don't have a clue how many were caught and released, but it was non-stop with a fish on probably 7 out of every 10 casts for about 4 hours. My arms and back are plumb tuckered out. lol Only kept two, that were bleeding from the gills and probably would not have made it. That's the most fish, of any species, that I've caught in an awful long time. We were catching them on crappie jigs of every color, bare hook jigheads, spinners, you name it, they hit anything that passed them, and the herring were as thick as I've seen them in a long time, too.

11. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Do you have to fish from a boat or can you fish from the bank?

12. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Yes you can fish off the bank if you can get too the water,:smile2: but you can go to the dam an fish in the old river, or at the 52 bridge.:cool2::smile2::wink:

13. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Robbie

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    where is the best place to catch them at now need to get a few myself.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ronald, the rediversion is pretty hot right now; haven't heard much about the US Hwy 52 area, and I'm sure the tailrace canal will still produce.

16. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Ronald willson landind is a good place, i heard they were catching plenty of them there:cool2::smile2::wink: