The Old Disappearing Rod n' Reel Trick...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Garrett Cope, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Took the 9 year old fishing tonight at Griggs reservoir and it finally happened. He likes to fish tightline with the rod leaning on a bankstick and we've had a few near misses in the last year or so. Tonight was the night!
    He had a big Bluegill midsection on his gama circle hook and something started nibbling at it and i told him to keep an eye on his pole (as i do about 40 times every time i take him fishing). It happened so quick i couldn't believe it at first. He turned to me to say something and his rod tip...well..not just the tip really...the top half of the rod bent down soooo hard....so fast....then it shot over the rod holder like it was an arrow shot from a bow. It happened so fast that before i could even alert him or lunge for it ..it was just gone..LONG gone.
    Must have been a big channel. I have seen rods lost or nearly lost before but this was ridiculous. It was like the fish hit that bait on a dead run. We just stared at each other dumbfounded for a minute then started laughing. For all the times i've warned him to watch his rod i honestly don't think if he was watching it and had his hand two inches from the handle he could have grabbed it. No chance. I told him i'll get him a new combo and one of those spring-shaped steel rodholders that we can anchor good and lock the rod in. His tightlining days on a v shaped bank stick are over.
    To add insult to injury... a little while later i lost about 30 yards of line to a snag and soon after...hooked what looked like about a 4 pound channel only to get the fish CAUGHT in that very same snagged line. I couldn't get the fish closer than about 20 feet from shore. I could literally lift him out of the water by raising the rod high but couldn't get him unsnagged. It was like he was on a pulley. Finally the line snapped just above the hook. Hopefully that fish won't have to swim indefinitely in circles on a Sufix Siege Leash for too long. Maybe it was the full moon..maybe it's just me...Weird night all around! :crazy:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL,,, first there was 2,,,, then there was 1... Way too familiar,,,
    thanks,,
    I always set a tacklebox, or a rock on the butt of my rods, while in the little wire crowsfeet I set them on,, I think, at least maybe it'll slow them down,,

Sounds like a fun trip!!

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hate to hear of missed fish and lost rods and reels, But something in your story made me laugh.. It was well written out. felt like I was there too... I use those spring rod holders they are cheap and a very good investment.. I hope the luck changes and you make up for it with a big ol hawg of a catfish!!:wink:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    cool story thanks bro you will like the spring tipe rod holders

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Oddly enough...I had asked my one of my fishing buddies (JerryB) to pick me up a couple of those rodholders (he uses 'em) for when i tightline for Channels and he called me earlier today to say he had 'em. So Jerry...if you read this....next time you're at that shop...can you get me two more or so?:tounge_out: Thanks man!

6. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    LOL! I've lost a rod once and had the drag all the way open.... the fish just hit so fast that the loose drag didn't even seem to matter.

I dunno what I was madder about, losing the rod, or not getting the chance to see what was on the other end of it.:crazy:

Edit: btw, not sure if I know what you mean by the "spring rod holders", but I've found that the V rod holders with the loop extension in the back that holds down the butt of the rod also work well.... haven't lost any rods since I started using them

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    We laughed pretty hard about it. I think the laughter distracted him from the fact that the fish would have surely been his personal best. He caught an 8 pounder last year and this one almost certainly had to have been bigger. I know how fish stories are....but honestly you wouldn't have believed the speed and the force of that rod flying into the water unless you'd seen it (it was a shakespeare tiger spincast reel on a 7 foot medium heavy rod- the kid is 4 ft 6). A year ago he would have been REAL upset about it. The fact that he wants a better reel may be a factor too:roll_eyes:

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I guess the correct name is a SPIRAL rod holder. Like this one..but with a few more spirals....

Attached Files:

9. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

LOL, well, learn somethin' new every day, I didn't even know those were rod holders, anytime I've seen em at the tackle shop I always assumed they were insence holders or something like that(to keep the mosquitos away).... man, I feel dumb now!:embarassed:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great story!! Another lesson learned and he did need a new rig!!

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The same thing happened to me and my son several years ago....we still laugh about it to this day. We now use the "Heavy Duty " spiral bank rod holders and they will hold the largest of rods with ease and no more lost rods.:big_smile:

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Before I invented the worlds best bank rod holder, I used to tie a rope to my handles anticipating just such an event. It did happen once while fishing a local lake. I didn't have rope or rod holder with me so I used the rock on the butt trick. Well it so happened that this was the first time I tried WD on a hot dog. I wasn't expecting what happened at all. Just like your sons unit it went with incredible speed into the water. Fortunately the run was short and my outfit was resting only a few feet from shore. No fish by the way. I have to ask, did you try snagging the pole or line to drag it back in? If no, there could still be a chance of retrieving it. Now as every one knows, this is the perfect opportunity to brag about the monster that stole my rod, it can grow with every telling and become family history! lol :crazy::smile2::wink:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great story sorry you lost the rod but it might be worth it for the story. I have had some very near misses where I ran in to the water to get the pole back but I have not lost one yet.

14. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll see if I can't pick up a couple more for ya, man... you want some bells, too? I know how you love the sound of 'em, and if you're kid starts using 'em you'll be in heaven!!:smile2:

Great story!

15. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    You let the cats out of the bag!!!!!!The old disapearing rod trick,What else you guys have up your sleeves:smile2:Im due to loose one soon due to my slowing reflexes due to my old age:tounge_out:.Came close on the scioto the other night.So far i havent lost one to a fish.But i knocked a 200.00 outfit out of the boat when i pulled up anchor once on the scioto and lost it.I think i might fish the river again this week,if you do let me know.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike, you better give me one of your nice yellow units before something happen to one of them! I promise I will take very good care of it. Not even a scratch! lol :wink:

17. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah..i casted out in that direction 3 or 4 times hoping to snag it. I did immediately grab my spotlight right after the rod went in and i could see the bottom for maybe the first 30 feet from the bank. No sign of it. When the fish hit ,the rod landed in the water like 15 to 20 feet from the bank. He hit it that hard. I'll probably head up there today and try to cast out a little more. Not that the rig is any GREAT loss. But on that slim chance that the fish is still ON IT! He was sure hooked GOOD.

18. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When tightlining, I also loosen the drag so hopefully the drag will pull before the rod head for the water. I fish a lot by myself, so when nature calls or I have to divert my attention I loosen the drag even more so the fish can run.

19. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    C'mon Jerry. You know how i feel about those freakin' bells! Gimme the gorgeous call of the wild spool clicker any day (or night) of the week tyvm! Besides.... when i used to use the bells i filled up the rivers and reservoirs with entirely too much copper nearly every time i set the hook (or casted without first remembering to take the bells off:crazy:). I'm trying to do my part to keep our waterways less polluted!:wink:

20. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Mmmhmm...you DID just about lose that one in the Scioto the other night. And man, if that one had hit as hard as Daniel's did last night we'd have been trolling for Ugly stick for awhile for sure!